Greetings from Adelaide, South Australia

Hi Team, my name is Murray. I’m 58, left-handed and taking up guitar for the first time - I’ve just commenced lesson 2 of module 1 after about two weeks on lesson 1. My motivation was wanting to learn a new skill and not waste my evenings watching television, which leaves me with no sense of accomplishment and is not good for my mental health.

My first major goal that got me started is a desire to be able to play ‘All for you’ by Sister Hazel - I’ll let you know when I get there. :grinning:

It’s so nice to see everyone else here at different stages of learning. When I first attempted one minute changes for A-D I only got 14, but it wasn’t long and I’ve got that up to 52. That and all the stories of others makes me confident I can conquer this thing.

All the best

Murray

7 Likes

Welcome to the Community, Murray. Follow the lessons and modules diligently and I am sure in time you will achieve more than you imagine (I know I have).

1 Like

Welcome to the community, good to meet another Aussie, there are a few of us around here. I started playing 10 years ago at the age of 53 and while it was a bit of hard work especially at the start, it’s been well worth it. Great that you have a clear goal of a song you want to play. Looking forward to hearing more from you along the way.

1 Like

Hello and welcome Murray. :slight_smile:

Sister Hazel are a great band. Your winter, is on my list of songs to learn.

1 Like

Hi Murray and welcome. Good of you to join us.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Welcome Murray.
Good to see you here mate, from a fellow Aussie. It’s a great community here, lots of friendly folk only too happy to help each other out.
Stick close to Justin’s lessons - he’s a tremendous teacher - and you’ll be ripping some tunes in no time.
Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Welcome to the community Murray. Enjoy the journey.
Steve
Devon, UK

1 Like

Hello Murray, a very warm welcome to the community.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Great to see so many of us oldies taking up guitar for the first time!

As I’ve been a keen music fan since I was about 12, I try to think back to why I didn’t start earlier. In my case it was (I think) a lack of musical appreciation within my family, and music lessons at school, such as they were, were really dull. Also, none of my friends played anything. It was a time (and place where I grew up) that to stand out as being different wasn’t a good idea.

I’d like to go back in time and tell everyone to stuff it - I’m doing this!

1 Like

@GrahamWright61BW I can relate to everything you say (except maybe being called an oldie :joy:). I did a couple of years of piano lessons as a kid of about 10, like all my siblings, but we weren’t really a musical family and it wasn’t a ‘cool’ thing to be doing. I wish I’d persisted.
So here we are, taking our second chance.

A very warn welcome Murray. I am sure you’ll enjoy a lot getting to your goal and I will be very glad see it happen. All the best :hugs::hugs:

1 Like