Greetings from Brazil!

Hi everyone! 29 year old guy here, living in Rio de Janeiro currently, but natural of Juazeiro, city from where the great João Gilberto comes from. Bossa nova guys will know him well!
I learned my first steps on the guitar all the way back on 2018, but eventually fell off as I got into med school and got a bit overwhelmed by the routine. Back then I got to the final beginner grade but really felt my playing was not nearly as polished as I wanted it to be. I was ok using my fingers but strumming was always a weak point.
Now in 2024 I want to go further than before and I plan to do the course all the way through again. Of course I made it to the end of grade 1 relatively quickly because relearning the chords was pretty fast, but I’m giving it some time to become more polished before advancing to grade 2.
My medium term goals right now are to play the Radiohead songs covered by Justin, and more long term to get into the jazz module then try my luck with some brazilian classics like Tom Jobin, Novos Baianos and the aforementioned João Gilberto. I am also a bit of a metal head and plan to buy an electric guitar eventually, but for now my focus is on the acoustic.

11 Likes

Metaljazz! Love it! Welcome back!

1 Like

Welcome to the community Joāo :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m also still consolidating Grade 1 (flew through the modules as well,
because I knew the chords). I really believe that taking the time for consolidating now will pay off in later Grades.

What comes to strumming… It surely will start sounding better with more practice. Justin also offers Strumming SOS courses, which are really good. Strumming SOS1 helped me immensely for example :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi João
Very nice to meet you :sunflower:
Welcome :smiling_face:

1 Like

Welcome to the community Joāo.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great stuff, welcome to the community

1 Like

Welcome to the community, João! :slight_smile:

Sounds like you’re having a plan for this attempt at learning guitar. Wish you lots of fun on your way! :smiley:

Cheers - Lisa

1 Like

Hi Joāo, welcome to the community. If you want to improve your strumming, trying playing along to Grade 1 song video lessons on the website. Justin always starts with beginner strums and then teaches more advanced strums. I have found that if I spend too much time with fingerpicking or playing individual notes, then I have to take time to practice strumming. Playing songs lets you do that while having fun.

1 Like

Thank you all for being so welcoming! I didn’t expect to get this many replies on a simple introduction post. I thought it would be nice to share some “dreamer songs” I’d love to be able to play someday, so I can keep it as a reminder and also share some of my music taste with you all.

Angra - Stand Away

Angra is a brazilian power metal band that takes a lot of influence from classical and brazilian music. One of the main composers, Raphael Bittencourt, was kind enough to make a series teaching acoustic versions of some songs in one of the biggest guitar channels of Brazil.

Dwarf Fortress theme song

Probably unusual to post a video game song here, but I find this song so beautiful and haunting. I think it has a lot of flamenco influence and is probably no easy task! But I hope to be able to play it after years of effort.

Castlevania - Wicked Child

Another video game song! I forgot to mention I love videogame soundtracks and I’d love to be able to transcribe some to guitar and make my own arrangements someday.

Chega de Saudade

Absolute classic! Made famous by João Gilberto and considered by some to be the birth of bossa nova. Here played flawlessly by one of the composers, the master Tom Jobim.

Novos Baianos - Mistério do Planeta

Amazing song from the album some consider the pinnacle of the MPB musical movement. I think it displays a very interesting contrast between uplifting energy and tranquil beauty.

3 Likes

Ambitious list, thanks for sharing. I’m really amazed that Raphael Bittencourt agreed to teaching accoustic versions of his own songs on YouTube. Definitely going check to some Angra songs soon (hadn’t heard of them before) :slightly_smiling_face:

Btw … there is a place in the community where you can share what you are currently listening to … Don’t know if you have seen it already:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m aware those are not easy songs to play at all. It might take years if I ever get to that level but I’m willing to try! Also I did not see that section for music sharing yet. Still learning how to navigate the forums. I’ll share more stuff there for sure!

1 Like