Greetings from Janice in East Coast Canada

Good Afternoon and Morning everyone,

My name is Janice, I’m a beginner guitar play, and primarily using the Justin Guitar app. I like that it feels like a real lesson and personal, I don’t think you get that from other apps. I always wanted to be able to play an instrument but couldn’t sit still long enough when I a kid. So when COVID first arrived I bought myself a little guitar. My guitar is a Recording King Dirty 37 Parlour, acoustic… small body - Big sound. I’m learning to play without a pick to limit the volume as I live in an apartment building. I think it’s going alright so far … at least no noise complaints and my strumming is slowly coming along. Plus I’m really enjoying it.

14 Likes

Welcome to the forum Janice from Western Canada

2 Likes

Welcome Janice!

I know the neighbor’s problem. When I got my acoustic and also tried to sing for some extended time I got called out.

Gladly in summer I just go out and search spots to sing my soul out. Gotta find somewhere to jam in winter though. Maybe keep a lookout for jam buddies with practice rooms :stuck_out_tongue:

So maybe you can find someplace too to play a bit louder from time to time. It can be fun :wink:

Anyhow, much fun with your guitar-playing and learning journey!

1 Like

Hi Janice, welcome to the group.

1 Like

Hi Janice,
Nice to meet you. I know what you mean about Justin being personal, it gives me a lift just hearing his ‘hey how you doing’ greeting.
Good luck with the playing, I am also conscious of disturbing neighbours and until recently have played with a cover over guitar soundhole. Might be an option for you so you can use a pick.
Best wishes,

Alan

2 Likes

Hi again Janice!

Ever since seeing Anne of Green Gables years ago, I’ve had a picture of Eastern Canada in my mind that is beautiful & picturesque! Not sure if I’ll ever visit Prince Edward Island, but the photos are beautiful! What part of Eastern Canada :canada: is “yours”?

I agree with you that Justin’s homey hospitality attitude is what drew me to his learning path! Like @Alan_1970 said, that “Hey, how ya doing” got me & still makes me smile! :grin:
Enjoy your journey with guitar, play at your own pace & keep it fun!!!

Tod

2 Likes

Welcome Janice, so nice to have you here :hugs:.

I’m also primarily playing without a pick. Not because of any neighbours (fortunately, that’s no problem in my case), but I prefer the direct contact with the strings and the lower volume😊.

I wish you lots of fun with your six-string-friend and look forward to hearing more from you :smiley:.

1 Like

Hi Janice,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
and friendly neighbours :smile:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Welcome to the community, Janice! Glad you found it and joined. :slight_smile:

I know the neighbour-struggle all to well myself. But with some practice and routine, you will be able to play silently even with a pick. If you use a very thin one, as Justin advices in the early lessons anyhow, it should work. Maybe you give it a try from time to time to get used to this feeling as well. :slight_smile:

Good luck and loads of fun on your guitar journey! :smiley:

Cheers - Lisa

1 Like

Great stuff, welcome to the community

1 Like

Welcome to JustinGuitar. Great community and you have embarked on an amazing journey. Playing music, to me, is one of the most satisfying things you can do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Janice ! Welcome in the group from Île d’Orléans, Québec, Canada.

1 Like

Hi Janice, welcome to the community.

1 Like

Hi Janice, welcome to the community. My next door neighbour has children, so when I’m playing or practicing late at night I use one of these and never had any complaints even when playing with a pick (and singing!)

If you feel the urge to rock out, there’s a lot to be said for an electric guitar & headphone amp setup :grin:

But so long as you’re enjoying yourself, that’s what matters

1 Like

Hello Janice and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

Glad to read you are enjoying your guitar adventure.

1 Like

Hello Janice. Welcome to JustinGuitar and the Community. It’s great you have found Justin’s lessons, he offers structure and a sure path to follow from the very beginning. Thousands and thousands have learned using his lessons. Thanks for taking a subscription to the App. It is definitely worth checking the matching lessons on the website. All have additional information, some downloadable content and each has a link to a dedicated discussion topic here in the community. If you need any help with a lesson specific question or with any general guitar learning question then do not hesitate to ask. There are many good folk here who will happily offer help and encouragement to those coming up behind them on Justin’s Beginner Courses. They embody and carry the pay-it-forward ethos we have nurtured for many years in our community. There are many old hands too who have years and (hopefully) a bit of wisdom they can bring as they give their support to those hitting the road blocks - which we all do.
Just ask if you need anything.
Cheers :slight_smile:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Community Moderator.