Greetings!

Hello all!

My name is Travis and I’m from Western New York, south of Buffalo (Go BILLS!!!). I’m 40 years old, have a wife, a daughter, two sons, a dog and 12 chickens. I have been teaching High School History for 14 years, and I coached Football and Basketball for the majority of those 14 years.

I picked up a guitar in May of 2020 without having a clue what to do with it. As all of you, it’s a long story, but I hit it hard and I haven’t stopped.

I am currently blended between Grades 3, 4, and 5, though I have completed the majority of grades 3 and 4. I have never taken a live or proper lesson from anybody, but I have been following Justin since the beginning, so I consider him my mentor. I have always been passionate about music but never knew how to play any of it. I have been singing for a long time but never took it seriously until I picked up a guitar.

I have posted several recordings in AVOYP: A collection of my recordings - 2 years learning with Justin
Plus a live recording: Badfish—Sublime (Live)

The story continues….

I’m looking forward to listening to/interacting with all of you!

10 Likes

Hi Travis and welcome!

Sounds like you have a full house! Glad to have you here and looking forward to hearing more from you. What types of music do you enjoy playing?

2 Likes

Hey Travis. Good to see you’ve posted an introduction post. It’s been 20 years since I was in New York. I was supposed to go back a few years ago but holiday got cancelled due to covid. Interesting reading that you’re blended between Grades 3, 4 and 5. Does that mean you’re going over the new Grade 3 but at the same time refreshing on Grades 4 and 5? That was some really good AVOYPs you posted. Looo forward to following your progress mate.

2 Likes

Hi Travis, welcome to the community

2 Likes

Thank you!! That’s pretty much exactly it with the grades. I finished grade 3 a bit less than a year ago, pretty much finished grade 4, and am about half way through grade 5.

I got lazy with the major scale in grade 4 and need to go back to reincorporate more of that portion of Grade 4. My A-Shape barre chords are steadily improving but I still got a ways to go.

1 Like

Thank you! I would consider myself grungy country, but I want to sprinkle more blues in everything I do!

2 Likes

Hey Travis. Welcome to the community, great to hear from you. Lots of great chicken songs for you to learn. Look forward to hearing more from you.

2 Likes

Ha! Thank you! I have thrown a few recordings I have in another one of the channels. I have only been here for a little more than a day so I’m not sure if I’m using the site right. Cheers!!

2 Likes

Hi Travis,
Welcome, and i wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hi Travis, nice to have you here. Have fun!

2 Likes

Hi Travis, Welcome to the forum. How’s the snow situation where you are? The area south of Buffalo looks like it’s getting hit hard.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m not completely buried at my house yet, but 10 minutes north of me is a white out. Cheers!

1 Like

Welcome Travis. Similar story as a lot of us. Any snow there ?

2 Likes

Hello Travis, and a warm Welcome to the community :hugs:.
I’ve already listened to some of your AVOYPs and enjoyed them very much :smiley:.
I wish you lots of fun with your six-string-friend :grinning:.

2 Likes

Hi Travis

I came across your AVOYPs first which I liked a lot, you sure have that country tone, see you around

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m trying to get better with it all the time!

1 Like

Welcome, Travis! Glad to have you here :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you, it’s good to be here!

1 Like

Hi Travis, I know we’ve communicated in various places so it’s time I came across here with an official ‘welcome’ in your introduction topic.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

1 Like

Ha, thank you @Richard_close2u !! It’s great to be here. This community is such a valuable learning tool, you guys do a great job!!

I’m looking forward to interacting with you more in the future!

1 Like