Growing up on 8 mm

@roger_holland Haha, I just presumed some Greek ā€˜influencerā€™ had mentioned it briefly and a lot of traffic just got directed there
@DavidP Yup, Doolittleā€™s a doozie- as are all the rest of their albums :grinning: :sunglasses:
Summer '74, we were on the beach one afternoon it must have been in July; there was a loudspeaker announcement on the beach and it emptied in about 5 minutes. Later someone told us that Turkey had just invaded Cyprus and all males were being drafted. I remember mile-long queues at the border leaving Greece.

1 Like

I donā€™t know my grunge from my indie, but have to say I got into the Pixies to a degree, while I never did take to Nirvana.

Summer of '74 ā€¦ significant for me also as my world was turned upside down. My Dad was made redundant from Pan Am (oil crisis) and we emigrated to South Africa to settle in my Mumā€™s home town, where her family all lived.

1 Like

Murderball with a frisbee, now thatā€™s a new one. :smiley:

I need to ask, which one are you?

1 Like

Playing frisbee!
Whoever that older Larsen is, his definition of playing frisbee seems to extend to assault and battery!
This video should be X-rated with that level of violence.
:rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Cheers all for the comments above :grinning:

A flurry of Uriah Heep posts over in what are you listening to reminded me of this clip.
One of the few family holidays that did not involve traveling back ā€˜homeā€™ to Ireland or Denmark. Our last year in the Middle East we spent a week in Jordan on the gulf of Aqaba. Mary, our au pair, is the lady with short black hair.
Dad is the only person I know who would wear a collared shirt, tie and blazer in 40 degree heat on the beach :roll_eyes:
For a year or two, the Heep were the only real band in our world. Gary Thain (RIP) is one of the few bass players I was ever aware of, how integral their playing was to my enjoyment of the music.
It really was a Wonderworld
(oh yes, Iā€™m the second eldest with the dark hair)

3 Likes

Hi Brian,
Well, that was a nice one to start the morning with, :sunglasses:

@brianlarsen Hi, Iā€™ll just put my question away here, but it strikes me that you havenā€™t been seen here for 2(?) days, and I canā€™t remember that since Iā€™ve been here for 4 months(?) hang around regularly ā€¦ so everything good? Finally found a sensible daytime activity? Iā€™ll leave out the rest of the jokes,ā€¦I feel pretty silly about this question, but well, thatā€™s what you get if youā€™re always there and suddenly not for a few days,ā€¦so your own fault
Greetings ,I

1 Like

Fun times as always with Clan Larsen, Brian.

Uriah Heep is one of the few bands Iā€™ve seen live. They came to South Africa with Deep Purple. What a show, finest kind. I think later the two toured together with Wishbone Ash. Also fortunate to have seen Wishbone Ash when they came to support Nazareth. Frankly, Nazareth could have stayed home and a show with just Wishbone Ash would have been a better show IMHO.

But enough of my memories ā€¦

Another great share Brian. Never heard of Uriah Heep but I thought the song choice was good and I enjoyed it.

Haha, memories is the essence of this thread :wink:
Would have loved to see DP, wasnā€™t impressed with Wishbone ash. Nazareth were never really on my radar
@SgtColon youā€™re just showing off your youf now.
Iā€™d call them ā€˜not quite proggy rockā€™ :wink:

Probably not too late, Brian. Gillan may not be in his prime and of course Jon Lord left the band and subsequently passed away. Oh and Blackmore no longer the guitar player ā€¦ yeah DP is one of those bands with many line-up changes, since they first formed in the late 60s. :rofl: But current line-up of Gillan, Morse, Airey, Glover, and Paice nstill recording and performing as far as I know and Iā€™m sure would put on a great show.

As for Wishbone Ash, did you ever listen to the album Argus. I think it is a cracker.

Priceless memories, Brian.

1 Like

Heep and a Larsen holiday, happy days !
Definitely Not Prog.

Argus not to be confused with Argos Brian. :wink: A great album for sure.
Narareth mmm one hit wonder really but too long ago to remember.
Never did see DP but saw Rainbowā€™s Difficult To Cure tour gig at the Hammersmith Odeon.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

DP does love DP

First vinyl album purchased Queen Night At the Opera. Second DP Made In Japan. And my parents loved both, hearing them for the first time in their 50s. Why. They could hear great musicians performing, and appreciate that even if the genre was not their cuppa.

Brian - my reply is a long time overdue.

Your scenes of Aqaba remind me of the time I spent working at Kibbutz Elot in 1990. It is the southernmost kibbutz just a few miles outside of Eilat on the Red Sea coast at the tip of the Gulf of Aqaba - opposite to where you must have visited. I remember the searing Negev desert heat, dry 40 degrees heat that stole the moisture from your mouth.

My main job was working in the date palm plantation. I was given charge of a hydraulic machine like this:

These are used to raise to a working height giving access to the fruiting branches. From my vantage point I would see right over the security fences of the border with Jordan and the hills beyond. It was quite something.

Haha, no such thing as ā€˜overdueā€™ on threads like these. Theyā€™re for folk to watch or leave as they please :smiley:
But seeing you were only a couple of miles up the road, hereā€™s more of the desert coastal moonscape with your palms. Not very exciting, but appropriate road-movie soundtrack from Liverpool band Itā€™s Immaterial (with Henry Priestman)

2 Likes

Goooood morning Brian, :smiley:
Many months ago I said that I wanted to learn to sing something that year, take lessons from justin or that cris, ā€¦ yes, that didnā€™t happen,ā€¦and that maybe I would sing a song for you,ā€¦ well, you havenā€™t heard anything.
This weekend I once again referred to your hospital ā€œeventā€ about how things used to be with beer, liquor and cigars,ā€¦ :see_no_evil:

Now you leave tags to this topic more than in theā€™The Dwarf and the Giantā€™ breadcrumbs to find its way home :roll_eyes:,ā€¦but I have to admit that this is my favorite :blush:
So this is quite appropriate now and here,ā€¦

It is a great pity that I recently got rid of my beautiful white dress and my blonde wig, otherwise I could have made you sweat mister de Presiā€¦ Uhh Larsen :smile:

Wellll,ā€¦

59 years today,ā€¦congratulations :partying_face: :beverage_box: :baby_bottle:ā€¦ :tropical_drink: :sunflower: :bouquet: :cherry_blossom: :ant: :honeybee: :guitar: :notes: :microphone: :saxophone: :drum: :sun_with_face: :cookie: :kissing_heart:ā€¦Or Happy Birth to Earth Day ā€¦as Maggie @batwoman taught me :blush: ,ā€¦and I wish you a long and happy life with your loved one around you,ā€¦good luck in your 60th year of lifeā€¦ :sunglasses:

And for the people who want to know what Iā€™m referring to in the hospital,ā€¦the opening post 2nd video at the end, there you can see how people used to think what was normal :see_no_evil: :smile:

Greetings,Rogier

7 Likes

So, first appearing ā€œlatestā€ post this morning: Brian Larsenā€¦I had to scroll miles down to see what about this post was :slightly_smiling_face:.
What a heartwarming idea @roger_holland! This gives me hope to believe in the good in life! :hibiscus:
@brianlarsen All the very best for you and the future! You had such a flying start into your life, no surprise, that youā€™ve become a born entertainer. Happy birthday :partying_face:, have a nice day and keep well.

2 Likes

Rogier, when I bombed your learning log with a ridiculous ditty, I expected a more imaginative response than ā€˜Well, Iā€™ll do the same to youā€¦ā€ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Iā€™m pretty sure Justin does a lesson on how to play that song, and a capo might bring this to a more comfortable pitch for you :wink:
No seriously, thank you. Much appreciated.

@Helen Haha, I had forgotten about this too, so had to scroll myself. :laughing:
I only just realised (even though itā€™s obvious): although Iā€™m only 59 years old, this is my 60th birthday. We celebrate birthday anniversaries. Duh! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

:speak_no_evil:
After two days of trying to sing and play Iā€™ve had it for a while :grimacing:,ā€¦ I think

@Helen0609 Thanks,ā€¦and :blush:

Letā€™s it be about Brian todayā€¦ AGAIā€¦ :speak_no_evil:
If Iā€™m not mistaken, tomorrow is another old timers (forum technically speaking of course :roll_eyes:) birthday,ā€¦
Greetings,ā€¦

2 Likes

Happy birthday Brian. I hope you have a fantastic day.

Nicely done @roger_holland :+1:

2 Likes