?Guilty? Pleasures!

So Iā€™m wondering if anyone else has songs or even genres that you secretly love but wonā€™t necessarily admit toā€¦ like a disco song comes on the radio and IF youā€™re alone, youā€™re smiling, singing along & tapping away to the beat BUT IF SOMEBODY ELSE IS AROUNDā€¦ youā€™re like ā€œDisco!!! OMG change the station!!!ā€

Maybe itā€™s something like ā€œMuskrat Loveā€ by Captain & Tenille or ā€œManic Mondayā€ by the Banglesā€¦ a Meat Loaf tune or even something obscure by a well known & respected band/ artist that bombed at the time it was releasedā€¦

One of my Guilty Pleasures is ā€œYou never even called me by my nameā€ by David Allan Coeā€¦ really the ONLY thing he ever did that I enjoy & Iā€™m not even sure WHY I love that songā€¦ :crazy_face:

So cā€™mon everyone, fess up or keep hiding ā€˜em from the rest of us forever!!!

Tod

5 Likes

Hi Tod,
If someoneā€™s quilty pleasure is someone elseā€™s favorite, it can be experienced as not so nice because you say something about someoneā€™s choice of music ā€¦but itā€™s a common thing i now back in the day a lot hearing people say so apparently it can be fun too :blush:ā€¦.myself I donā€™t feel any shame or guilt about anything when it comes to songs or some harmless entertainmentā€¦but in some groups sometimes it seems to be a thingā€¦

When I read it back in English writting I think Iā€™m way too serious ā€¦ I donā€™t mean it that way :wink:

Greetingsā€¦

3 Likes

I have this thing about Modern Talking :see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil:
Whenever i hear them it makes me smileā€¦
dont tell anyone!

Its a type of music that is very far from what usually prefer :grin:

1 Like

Oh, I hope nobody thinks this is critical in any wayā€¦ Itā€™s just those songs that you might feel people could judge you for liking & therefore create a bit of internal embarrassmentā€¦ those ones that if someone ā€œcatchesā€ you singing along to your response is ā€œWhy do the lyrics from songs I canā€™t stand stick in my head!!!ā€

Fun, but only to oneā€™s self!!!

Guilty Pleasure!!! :face_with_peeking_eye:

Tod

1 Like

I consider myself a rock/hard rock/metal guy first and foremostā€¦ā€¦ but Roxetteā€¦ā€¦ damn if that isnā€™t some melodic pop. Will admit to cranking the volume on several of their ballads :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I donā€™t think so eitherā€¦ but a big group of people often think lowly about, for example, German schlager music or Dutch folk music and the people who listen to itā€¦I have to think about that right away, and I think that is not so much funā€¦(my stupid head)
But not for a moment do I think you would/mean that or whateverā€¦ Okay For Trond Iā€™ll make an exception :joy:

Greetingsā€¦

2 Likes

I really feel i have the rights to feel guilty about Modern Talking Rogier :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

By the way, I hope Brian never finds this threadā€¦(although heā€™s feels no guilty in this area either :sunglasses:)
and the title must then probably be obscure music :laughing:

I know what you mean, Rogier. But maybe we better of relax and laugh, because actually I have some guilty pleasures in german Schlager (Amsterdam by Cora is one example) even though this is totally not my genre. :face_with_peeking_eye:

Luckily enough we should not take this to serious or overthink, just have a laugh about some songs that completely do not match with the rest of our usual taste. By the way: I love Meat Loaf! :rofl:

You are not aloneā€¦ :melting_face: Few of their songs never fail to catch me when I hear them. :rofl:

I kinda like this thread already, could be fun. Thanks @CATMAN62 Tod for bringing this up. :smiley:

PS: Iā€™m a huge fan of Herbert Groenemeyer (Legend!) and nowadays would never consider it a guilty pleasure, but way back when I was at schoolā€¦ :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi Lisa
Yes ,in this setting I donā€™t take it as seriously as it might sound :blush:ā€¦but I donā€™t even get the Quilty that some feel sincereā€¦who cares what I like/or think about music songs or style ( except my neighbor if it is too loud in the past )ā€¦
and there are situations that I can think of listening to Cora :grin:
Have fun here :blush:
Greetings and good evening all (well in this part of the world )

1 Like

but Roxetteā€¦ā€¦ damn if that isnā€™t some melodic pop. Will admit to cranking the volume on several of their ballads :slight_smile:

The Look, Joyride!!! Love those tunes! Iā€™d actually forgotten about Roxette! Iā€™m not thinking that Iā€™d be ashamed to admit to liking themā€¦ now Abbaā€¦ thatā€™s a different story!!! :shushing_face:

Tod

2 Likes

Donā€™t even get me started on Neil Diamondā€™s Crunchy Granola Suiteā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

Did I actually just say thatā€¦ I am so embarrassedā€¦ NOT!!!

Tod

Hi Tod,

There was a band in the early 1990s called Nelson- Ricky Nelsonā€™s twin sons and I secretly still want to play their After the Rain and More Than Ever songs. I used to get teased for liking the ā€œBarbie Twins ā€œ. :rofl:

Jeff

1 Like

Another band I used to follow in Germany was called ā€œdie doofenā€ meaning the idiots. I really liked their song called mief- meaning to stink badly. The whole song is about different ways you stink. Ogen schmaltz , kragenspech, mundgeruch und nagendreck. Still makes me laugh.

Ah, ABBA!
Back in the day you either loved them or hated them. A lot of the haters eventually realised that, actually, they were very good musicians and almost impossible to replicate their songs. Iā€™ve yet to hear an ABBA song cover that is as good as the original!!

Neil Diamond. Great songs!
ā€œ I Am I Said ā€œ

I donā€™t have a favourite genre. There are songs from most genres that I like and songs that I donā€™t like.
I wouldnā€™t call any song that I like a guilty pleasure. :guitar:

1 Like

That. canā€™t. be. true :rofl:! . Even better: MIlli Vanilli

1 Like

I could type an endless list of songs :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil:!
Depending on my moodā€¦

Dean Martin - Thatā€™s amore
Richard Sanderson - Reality out of the film ā€œLa Boumā€ (brings a lot of flashbacks)
Alphaville - Forever Young
Neil Diamond - Cracklinā€™ Rosie
Adriano Celentano - Azzurro and some more
Ben E. King / Celentano - Donā€™t play that song
Indochine - You spin me round (Cover of Dead or Alive)
Falco - several
Vicky Leandros - Ich liebe das Leben
Charles Trenet - La Mer

2 Likes

Iā€™m still a huge fan of disco. Never understood the kill disco movement. Lots of great grooves in disco. Sure there were a few crap songs, but what genre doesnā€™t have those.

1 Like

Tony, I get it!!!
Itā€™s ok to be a huge fan of whatever makes you feel that ā€œGrooveā€ā€¦ but if someone asks you what your favorite song is and your response is ā€œGet Down Tonightā€ by K.C. & the Sunshine Band :flushed:ā€¦. Youā€™ll be buying the beer :beers:!!!

Tod

1 Like

Firstly, sorry for taking a light-hearted topic and turning it into a serious rant but to answer Tonyā€™s question, the main reason why disco was treated with contempt is because it was a music genre whose fan base was skewed towards females and gay men.

There are exceptions but for a long time it was accepted that music that we consider as having masculine traits is better and more important than music that we would consider as being feminine. Music with more of a male fan base is more likely to appear on ā€˜greatest everā€™ lists compared to music with more of a female fan base.

Hence rock, heavy metal, hip-hop, grunge and punk (no matter how simple) is considered ā€˜real musicā€™ while ballads, love songs, pop, disco (no matter how complex) are often derided. Again, there are exceptions to this but as a general rule it rings true.

I was a teenager in the 90s where this attitude reigned. I dismissed all these great commercial pop songs because I felt like I wasnā€™t allowed to like them. Particularly as music that is liked by teenage girls was considered the most embarrassing of all.

The good news is that this is changing thanks to changes in our society and the fact that music journalism is no longer completely dominated by young men.

Now, in saying all that, I still have guilty pleasures. My guilty pleasures are when terrible people (particularly people since convicted of serious crimes) make good music. Or when you have a great tune but some serious questionable lyrics (certain 90s rap music comes to mind). I am always a little torn on listening and itā€™s what I consider a guilty pleasure.

5 Likes