Guitar Avenue

I’m visiting KL, and popped into the mall next to the hotel we are staying in, and Gibson are just opening a new showroom.

The official opening isn’t until Sunday, but one of the staff invited us in for a “VIP Preview”.

Cheers,

Keith

18 Likes

Then we went to the nearby Swee Lee and tried some other guitars.

Cheers,

Keith

10 Likes

And did you manage to walk out empty handed Keith?

It looks really good. I wonder if guitar playing is on the rise and that’s why Gibson are opening shops around the world?

Well, aside from the fact they were not fully open and not actually ready to sell anything, I’m pretty sure I’m not in the market for a Gibson.

I already have an SG in the UK, which I got for a bargain deal, and I’ll probably keep hold of it for the foreseeable future, but I have no plans or interest in buying a new one.

They look cool though, and we may go back on Sunday when they are officially open to have a play.

But the PRSs I tried were very tempting, especially the Silver Sky SE and the Paul’s Guitar in the photo above.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Don’t play with fire! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Gosh that looks like a bad place to take my credit card!

3 Likes

Come on baby light my fire !

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

That’s some serious temptation dodging going on there!
For now… :wink:

1 Like

Lucky it’s only 5 minutes from my hotel room.

:roll_eyes::rofl:

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Walking distance = easy to visit multiple times = multiple new guitars bought :rofl:

1 Like

Luckily, there’s other distractions.

Cheers,

Keith

7 Likes

OMG that looks awesome Keith. We used to go to KL a bit some years ago, loved it and used to got for racing and testing Moto GP at Sepang.

What are the guitar prices like? I know I bought my full motorbike leathers over there as they were far better pricing than here in Aus.

1 Like

First whisky, then guitar shop - sounds to me like a pretty dangerous combination for your wallet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Prices seem fairly standard. I don’t know about the Gibson’s because I genuinely have zero interest in getting another one. I have played Les Paul’s in the past, and they don’t really do anything for me

I like SGs but already own one and, that’s enough for me.

I saw some of the prices and they range from about 4,000 MYR upwards (apparently up to 65,000 MYR if I remember correctly) but I have no idea on models: frankly I couldn’t tell the difference between one Les Paul and another, which is indicative of my interest in them.

More interesting to me was the Silver Sky SE which was around 3,600 MYR which is around £600, which seems fairly typical for global prices.

The Paul’s Guitar was around 4,500 MYR, and there was an interesting Fender Strats around the 4k mark.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

They are currently setting up for the F1 in Singapore. This was the view from the back of the bus on my journey home earlier this week.

Cheers,

Keith

Lucky bugger, on your doorstep :+1:

I watched it last year. It was ridiculously wet and muddy. We joked as we walked home down the banks of the Singapore river that we would be dryer if we jumped in and swam. The mud, in places, was about 6 inches deep.

But we got to see some good bands as well as the racing.

We aren’t going this year as there’s not many bands we are bothered with, and the way the bands are spread out across the zones and days means you need to get very expensive tickets to see all the ones we would be interested in.

And, frankly, you don’t get to see much of the racing from most of the grandstands.

It’s been interesting watching the track being built as I pass the pit lane buildings on the bus. They seem to have upgraded the pit building area substantially, including a bunch of (I think) new permanent buildings across from the pit building on the home straight and the first corners.

We’ll probably be watching it from one of the many sports bars nearby.

Cheers,

Keith

Keith, you have a cornucopia of delightful diversions going on over there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sports Bar @Majik :+1: now that’s a plan. I’ve never really been an F1 fan, always been motorbikes myself but I do find myself drooling at the technology that goes into these things these days. Bikes are the same, there is soooo much going in them now it’s crazy. Having it on your doorstep is still a great opportunity so soak up some atmosphere, and just hearing them used to awesome.
I haven’t been to Singas for a long time, my missus was a regular there when she was with Qantas.

1 Like