Guitar Club – John Denver Performance – August 2024

I was expecting to tell you about Guitar Club summer performance of ABBA Take 2, a rerun of the set we did back in April this year with some extra songs and we had been practicing to that end for quite a few weeks, but it was not to be.

TWO WEEKS before the date for the performance one of the female vocalists was suddenly not going to be available. So, what do you do, the show must go on, so it as decided we would do some John Denver songs, which are not on the face of it so complicated.

We started with a list of six but in the end, we only did three, see short video extracts taken by my wife, I am at the back and you can just see me between the guitarist and singer at the front, I wasn’t hiding deliberately.

The songs we did were

• Take me home country roads – repeated at the end
  • Annie’s Song
  • Leaving on a Jet Plane

Those of you that have played with others will know there is a world of difference between playing a song by yourself and playing with other guitarists, especially if they are all of varying abilities, it is a whole different ball game. To do this with only four practice sessions and then not everyone being able to attend each one, was asking a lot. The evening before, a difficult decision had to be made and it was decided we would just go with the ones that were comfortable with.

As it turned out, although we didn’t do many songs, they can all basically be classified as campfire songs and the audience was encouraged to sing along, which they did, with great enthusiasm, in the circumstances it worked out quiet well. So, we ended up being the warmup band for the other group from club that followed us with a much longer set of songs. I think the audience enjoyed the evening overall at least I hope so.

Michael

13 Likes

Hello Michael, I’m glad to see that you’re still very active in your guitar club :smiley:. Must be a great experience to perform with other musicians :smiling_face::+1:.

2 Likes

Thanks Nicole @NicoleKKB

Yes the guitar club is still going great.

The biggest challenge for the likes of me as a beginner, when playing in a group is making sure you are all playing on the same beat. On this occasion we didn’t have a drummer or bass guitar to set the tempo, so you had to rely on listening to others, and in particular the guitarist at the front who set the pace. Not easy when you are spread out on a stage.

Michael

2 Likes

Well done Michael, hopefully it must have been a very enjoyable learning experience; despite the curve-ball having to adjust to a last minute change in the line-up.

Sounds like you certainly got the audience warmed-up for the evening’s next set.

Here’s to the next gig, and keep having fun … :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks @Elixir1253

Yes it was enjoyable even if was a tall order in the time available. I have always been the sort of person that goes in at the deep end, you have to learn pretty fast if you do that, sink or swim.

I think the choice of songs helped, they are after all campfire/karaoke classics.

Michael