Guitar pick punchers

Has anyone tried any of the DIY guitar pick punchers? There are many available, with mostly good reviews but some that basically say they don’t work. I looked on the old Forum and one hit came up from about 10 years ago for a Pickmaster Plectrum Punch. It was just the info though, no review on the product.

Never heard of these before. They cost roughly the price of 20-30 picks, so I guess it’s useful for those who tend to lose their picks way too often. :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t really lose my picks, just thinking about making some custom picks and wondering how well these punchers work. They’re $30 - $40 Cdn, so that’s a lot of picks!

Mari the only one I have ever seen in person wouldn’t punch anything thicker than a credit card.
It only cut tear drop picks so if you don’t mind CC or less thick tear drop picks I guess it would work.

I agree with Jozsef you can buy a lot of picks for the price. A pair of scissors might work just as well.

2 Likes

Scissors is probably a good idea!

I made one out of bone the other day :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Does it work well? How does it sound?

1 Like

I haven’t tried it yet… Will have to get back to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

What did you do with the rest of the body? :wink:

4 Likes

I got a cow rib cage years ago to make musical rhytm bones, i found one that didn’t work so well and sawed a chip from it which i rounded and sanded down. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

1 Like

Silly question Brian, of course he did more picks, duh! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::crazy_face::crazy_face:

2 Likes

Or a new nut and saddle… :nerd_face:

2 Likes

My first thought @brianlarsen Great minds … :face_with_monocle:

I have thought about getting a piece of ox shin, (since there’s no marrow) to use for wee projects like nuts (saddles feels like they’re over my paygrade :slight_smile: )

Not really, they’re not too difficult unless you need a compensated one, in which case it’s just a lot more work. I’ve made a couple just using diamond files and some serious patience - if you slip up there’s definitely a plethora of expletives floating around :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like