Guitar recommendations

I donā€™t remember that, and I got my Katana Mk 1 shortly after they came out (I think mid 2017). As far as I remember, BTS has, basically, been the same beast since itā€™s launch. It certainly looks similar in this screenshot on the Boss site drom Dec 2016:

I never used it on anything but Windows, but I donā€™t remember anyone complaining about it on Mac (other than when Apple launched a new version and it, and half the other applications, stopped working).

I believe itā€™s actually an Adobe Air application, rather than Qt. I guess itā€™s possible that early versions had some issues on Mac? Maybe earlier versions of Adobe Air Apps didnā€™t use HiDPI displays properly?

But I wouldnā€™t call it low resolution these days, and thereā€™s plenty of videos on Youtube with people using it on Mac and it looks fine.

Itā€™s very basic in design, in many ways, but I, personally, appreciate that they have kept it simple, concise, and easy to navigate rather than trying to make it look flashy or pretty.

Iā€™m not sure what is ā€œweirdā€ about patch loading. Thereā€™s the librarian where you can store patches in groups called ā€œLivesetsā€ and you can drag and drop individual patches between livesets and the patch memories, or you can apply a liveset to overwrite multiple patches at once.

Possibly the only slightly odd thing I can think of on the Katana is that thereā€™s a separate pseudo-patch for the ā€œPanelā€ which reflects what you do on the physical panel controls.

I would go further than that: it makes it harder to navigate and use.

I think thatā€™s probably OK on the full PC based BiasFX where you have a lot of functionality, but I found it frustrating on the Spark editor as most of the interface is fairly static (you canā€™t even change the order of the FX in the chain), especially so on the tablet version where you end up doing a lot of scrolling to navigate the unnecessary graphics even though you only have a small number of static effects slots available.

Iā€™ve not had any major issues, but I think Iā€™ve only used the PC version a couple of times.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like