Guitar Storage tips

Thank you everybody for your input. Iā€™ve attached a picture of my current collection (except the acoustic, which still needs a stand!). Your feedback was what I was hoping to hear because I do want these guitars easily accessible.

I appreciate the comments on humidity, I am in Florida, the winters are relatively mild but humidity hovers around 50%. Once mid-May comes around the house is pretty much closed up until around November, the the air conditioner keeps us around 50-55%.

Rock on!
Mike

3 Likes

You will play a lot more if itā€™s not in the case. I keep my expensive guitar out on the stand and it doesnā€™t cause it any issues - electric guitars are fairly sturdy things. Just probably keep it out of direct sunlight like you would anything

Iā€™m in the UK so I donā€™t know if you have humidity issues to consider if youā€™re somewhere else in world.

Iā€™d only keep in the case if it was like an antique or something, or if you have kids running around or not enough space that someone might bump into it

I have my guitars in hard cases when travelling or going to play with friends as I feel it offers some protection from knocks in stop start driving etc,but sometimes the size and weight can be a bit of a pain and so I purchased a ā€œcanvasā€ covered light weight bag that has about 10 to 12 mm of padding and is a dream to carry around and also has straps for putting on my back, but it has a vinyl lining ,I wondered if this lining can be abrasive over time or perhaps be a draw for moisture if in sun on the back seat of a car,has anyone experience with this style of case,?? Thanks.

Hi Graeme,

Do you mean leaving the empty bag in the sun? Generally, you will not want to leave the guitar in direct sunlight or near direct heat sources whether itā€™s in the bag or not as the glue used for the assembly may melt, leading to deformation which is not easy to repair. I donā€™t say guitars should be stored in total darkness, but definitely not in hot places (e.g. leaving it in the backseat or in the trunk in the middle of summer with the car in direct sunlight).

Hello jozsef,thanks for your reply,I usually put the guitar in the boot/trunk but some times for a short trip it is in the back of the car,I prefer to use the hard case with the soft lining but the weight with everything else I take to a little group I play with is quite awkward,it sounds like you are also someone who takes care of your instruments ,cheers.

Bump - looking to wall mount a guitarā€¦ opinions?

Hercules GSP38WB $38

TAYLOR EBONY GUITAR WALL HANGER $99

Stagg Short Wall Hanger $18

I like the look of the Taylor, but given we have earthquakes I am tempted with the locking Herculesā€¦

Any thoughts?

I have 3 Hercules wall hanger and a double floor stand that are used year round for over 10 years on twe of them. Never had a problem with any of them. I made sure they were screwed into the studs of the wall.

1 Like

I use a similar mount for a bass guitar that has been on the wall for about five years. No issues.
I have 3 Hercules floor stands for the guitars that I use more often. They are great!

1 Like

I have Gravity guitar hangers, which might be worth a look, and they seem to be available in your region:

They are similar to the Hercules ones. I would tend to go with a locking style, such as these or the Hercules ones, as a personal preference as they seem to be a bit more secure.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

I donā€™t have wall hangers but have read that they shouldnā€™t be used on the inside of external walls. Reason being it may cause condensation or dampness between the guitar and the wall due to lack of ventilation between the guitar and the external wall.
All this will be dependant on your house construction, local climate etc of course.

1 Like

I had Hercules wall hangers at my old house, a different kind than pictured though. This one: https://herculesstands.com/international/products/fretted-and-bowed-instrument/guitar/wall-hangers/gsp39wb-plus

Didnā€™t even mount them to studs. Used some really good drywall anchors, and with the 3 screw points they were pretty strong. This kind of anchor if youā€™re curious: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-wallmate-twist-n-lock-4-pack_p2260138

Worked great, would do again.

2 Likes

Similar here. I mounted on drywall using GripIt fixings.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

The Hercules stands are really good as mentioned. The material used in the guitar contact points is safe for instruments that have a nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Many other stands can mar the finish over time. Need to be sure what finish you have.

1 Like

Iā€™m the outlier here. I know, Iā€™m a broken record.

I donā€™t worry about my guitars falling off the wall, or the rubber that contacts my guitar ruining the finish. Or any other of the possible storage woes for folks hanging their guitars. Even my guitar stand is not a hanging type.

I keep mine in there proper case.

In the morning, I get one out. I got three that I usually choose from. So the choice ainā€™t to much.
That guitar will sit out all day on a floor stand. A quicklok stand that does either acoustic or electric. So far after 3-4 years of use, Iā€™ve no stand marks on any of my guitars from where it rests against the stands soft parts, which is only at 2 points on the guitar. Third point of rest is hard rubber that contacts the back of the guitar. No marks from that either.
fwiw, Iā€™ve liked my quicklok stand.

So far my only concern is about when my cats get the zoomies.
I think itā€™s possible they could bump into my guitar and knock it forward causing it to fall off itā€™s perch on the stand. To keep that from happening when I leave the house I roll my arm type desk chair up in front of my guitar. If it should be knocked over, itā€™ll fall forward onto the chair, the arms of the chair hopefully keeping it from sliding sideways to the floor.

This works well for ā€˜meā€™.

I donā€™t find I play any more of less because I leave my guitars in there cases.
I usually use just that one guitar for the day. Itā€™s in the stand and I donā€™t even have to get up out of my desk chair to get it. The other guitars are well protected in their cases.

Like I said, Iā€™m surely on the outside for how I store my guitars.
This is what ā€˜Iā€™ feel comfortable with.
Besides, Iā€™ve no wall space to hang guitars from anyways. My house is small and guitars hanging from walls is not really a option as everything is out in the open (at your fintgertips) when ya got a small house.

Cheers JK, will be screwing into solid wood walls so thats not an issue!

1 Like

I think I agree on the locking idea esp with the EQs we can have, prefer the aesthetics of the Hercules I think tho wrt to my walls

1 Like