Guitar upgrade from Fender CC-60S to Baby Taylor BTe-KOA

Michal, one year ago, I was looking for a new acoustic and tried out some Martins. I was pretty astonished, that they are building guitars from HPL and instantly said “no”, when the guy in the store gave me one to try. I have to admit, that the sound of the guitar was much better than expected, not to say pretty good, only a weird feeling to know, that it’s from a kind of artificial substance and therefore nothing I got warm with. I was pretty impressed by the D 10E, but that’s a dreadnought.
I finally ordered a Cort Gold A6 out of the Gold series Cort Gold-A6 | Gold Series Acoustic Guitar , comes in different specifications and sizes at a moderate price, but with top specs. Full wood, torrefied spruce top, bone nut and saddle, etc. Mine is a Grand Auditorium, only slightly smaller as my Fender CD 60 SCE dreadnought, but a little less deep and much more convenient to play. I guess, there are smaller body sizes too. I love the sound and it’s very well made and absolutely beautiful. I had good advice from @Socio who had the same guitar and gave me some feedback. I never regretted the purchase, it’s my workhorse now.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen so far I’ve done a list on Thomann, mainly due to their warranty and returns policy. This is a selection of the guitars I know are good and represent good value for money. All are of high quality and deserve consideration. My opinion is that the Martin, Taylor and Gibson brands don’t really give you the best value for money. You pay a lot for their name. Plus the lower end models of their instruments are usually made in either China or the Cort factory.
I once owned a Taylor 214CE and after finding it was a little bit too big for me got an all solid wood guitar 000 size made by Freshman (a not well known brand) that was as good build quality, sounded nicer and cost significantly less. The Taylor was laminate apart from the top which was Sitka spruce.
I have left the branded ones in so you can compare what you get for your money.

I now add a list of their Own brand guitars in which are exceptionally good value and well made; of these I would have no hesitation about buying any of them.

@Alexeyd In my personal experience I tried Takamine vs. Fender and Takamine was really bad in all specs… it was bad piece or it just did not fit to me. I am still watching YouTube and looking for rankings… its like one time is better this one and that time that one. But I found Big Baby Taylor BBTe and it looks pretty good to me… like its from real wood, it has all ebony and its little bit smaller than standard Dreadnought. Definitely gonna check more videos about this one.

@mfeeney0110 Hello, thats really interesting point… sadly I cant find any information about body depth on any site. Does it have different name or how can I compare it? Because I have my curent guitar what is something I can measure… I guess depth has something to do with my not comfortable feel too.

@Helen0609 Thanks for your input. I have similar feeling about wood not being wood and if I am about to pay this money I want something good. Or… real… dont know how to say it. My friend is playing on Cord too and he is saying they are good guitars. I am gonna check their series so I will see if there is something in shape and size for me. If Socio got time for me I would like to know his opinion too… more you write here, more I know… maybe someone in future can read this too. :slight_smile:

@DarrellW So you are another one saying that for this money in this brand I dont get that much quality product… thats something I should really take on mind and stop being blind. :smiley:
But when I check sites like Thomann and it is saying solid walnut that should mean its real wood… is it really that bad to have something from China when in modern world is almost everything from China?

I’m not a fan of Takamines either.

1 Like

I found that full guitar body dimensions (very important to comfort in your hands) are often not listed by retailers. You need to go to the manufacturer’s web site where they typically have all of the specifications.

1 Like

Also, walnut is a hard wood. Walnut top will sound so different from a standard spruce one… Hardwood tops are good for harmonics. But the sound is quite compressed, and somewhat thin, sterile.

1 Like

That Baby Taylor is a nice guitar and not too expensive, what I’m saying is that there are other guitars out there that are better out there.
If it doesn’t say Solid wood, it’s a laminate. All solid wood guitars need more careful looking after if you live in a country where there are a lot of extremes of weather as regards temperature and humidity. The best guitars in those conditions are HPL or Carbon fibre.
This list is with the big brands removed, I would happily buy any of these if I needed or wanted another acoustic guitar, all I am saying is that not to be single minded about big brands being the best. The best guitars are made by Luthiers of better still Bespoke guitar makers like Daisy Tempest - look her up on YouTube! Her guitars start at around $6000!
https://www.thomann.de/gb/all-products-from-the-category-steel-string-acoustic-guitars.html?price-first=350&price-last=850&rating[]=5&rating[]=4&oa=pra&manufacturer[]=Cort&manufacturer[]=DAngelico&manufacturer[]=Gretsch&manufacturer[]=Guild&manufacturer[]=PRS&manufacturer[]=Recording%20King&manufacturer[]=Richwood&manufacturer[]=Stanford&gk=GIWE&sp=solr&category[]=GIWEOO&category[]=GIWESO&cme=true&filter=true

If you’ve not heard a Big baby Taylor you would be surprised, they really do sound nice.

@Carreta Forgot to mention, Justin Johnson did a review on the Cort Gold A6 https://youtu.be/FxdIEh9YUzY?si=rNE3-hbYkggv2Et-

That doesn’t necessarily mean, that those guitars are not well crafted :wink:. I had my doubts too, as people sometimes consider “China guitars” as cheapy or substandard. I have two China guitars (by chance, not a deliberate decision), both of them are very well made and offer a lot quality specs for the money. My thinking was, if it made sense to buy a guitar out of the same factory with a big brand label and pay a lot more, only to say it’s a …

1 Like

I would buy that guitar without thinking about it, having played one all I would say is that for the price they’re a steal!
But the Gold A8’s are fabulous if you’re ok with the extra cost!

1 Like

Of all the options you have mentioned, I would suggest the Taylor GS-Mini over the others. It sounds much better than the Baby Taylor, and I think better than the Big Baby Taylor and the others.

Currently, the used guitar market is kinda slow, and you may have to really discount the Fender to sell it. I suggest putting it in its case and store it for now. At this point in your guitar journey, you may change your mind and want a larger guitar again in the future.

YMMV

1 Like

A 700 series Taylor is quite a bit more money than he indicated he’s wanting to spend!

Dear all, thank you for all your inputs… I read it all and checked all informations. I got some favourites that I am gonna check and then decide - I hope I will not get greedy and wont buy it too soon. This is something I would really like to think about. :smiley:
My favorite list - what I am gonna try on shop physicaly if they have it:

• Cort Gold A6
  • Taylor Big Baby BBTe WN
  • Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
  • Cort GAPF-BV Grand Auditorium

Why this selection - I took out Martin, because it does not offer shape I want and they also using HPL. I dont live in high humidity or high temperature difference country - Czech Republic middle Europe, under Germany if you need a little bit help. :slight_smile: In my opinion real guitar should be from real wood and not from some mix… its really personal look. I really like Cort high end look in this pricing, so I would like to see those models in real life. I also took out Baby Taylor, because I think it would be maybe too small and want to try Big Baby and GS Mini. Honestly that Big Baby is something I am giving biggest chance - on paper it meets all requirements I want, I will see in real life. Also I understand that big brands like Taylor and Martin wont offer such a great high end like Cort in this price… but I honestly think that they wont sell me bad instrument. We are talking about 870 dollars range and I think all guitars would be great here - there it really depends more on personal choice and taste. I think it would be more about quality if we compare guitars about 100 dollars and not this much. Of course you can pay much much more for guitar and also I am not saying 100 dollars guitar is bad… but I just think even “cheap” Taylor/Martin will be great. :slight_smile:

I am cursed…

Guys… I literally studied, watched video and read all materials 6 hours straight and I am on final decision. Its gonna be Cort Gold A8 LB or Cort Gold D8 LB. Just need to try it on store which fits better to me. Please… I need rest now. :smiley:

Edit: Drednaught version does not have electronics, so its solved. A8 try and pick if it fits.

1 Like

Michal the cutaway A8 will serve you well in the long run, factor that it when you test drive.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

You have quite amazing local brand Furch, don’t you?
Just saying… :wink:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Yes, I think so. I would like to play fingerstyle. Also got cutaway on my Fender. I am not able to use it now but I think Its good to have that option than not. Right now I am thinking about if that A8 isnt overkill for grade 2 beginner. Still checking lower cost with similar quality of wood. :smiley:

@Alexeyd Yes, I do. But their starting price is where my budget ends and I honestly dont know this brand. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It sure is an investment that you will enjoy for many years. I guess it depends on your budget ?

Also, would you like to save some money to buy an electric guitar or upgrade your amp when you get to the rock power chords module or blues lead solo in grade 2 ?

I’m asking the question because I started as an acoustic player in grade 1-2 and now I have 2 electrics that I play much more. So, I put more budget into that. But, that’s a personal choice based on my new interests.

@math07 Thats good point. I think I am more than ready for everything. Got Boss Katana Mk2, Fender Acoustatonic, Fender CC-60SCE, Fender Squirter, my first old acoustic guitar and Harley Benton Custom 3D printed guitar. In this stage… I dont really need new guitar, but… you know. :smiley:

1 Like

1 Like