Guitar wireless system affordable?

Thatā€™s why I went for these specifically, rather than the slightly cheaper version. Uses 5.8Ghz rather than the far more common 2.4Ghz. Most modern phones and routers have 5.8Ghz capability now, but itā€™s not often enabled by default. So, much less interference. I live in a four flat block with paper-thin walls, surrounded by terraced family housing and have never had a problem so far. :slight_smile:

I had the ā€œHarley Benton AirBorne 5.8GHz Instrumentā€ at first, but i could hear a sort of ā€˜tickingā€™ sound in the amp when connectedā€¦ it drove me crazy and distracted me when playing :frowning: .

you now have freedom to move aroundā€¦ just watch out for the tv if its in the same room :rofl:

Ah yes, that would drive me mad as well. Out of interest, I might set my router/phone to 5.8Ghz and see if it does interfere. Not that it mattersā€¦ weā€™re planning a move out of the country later this year. There wonā€™t be anyone at all within wireless range where weā€™re going! :wink:

Just started to think about getting one of these. Big variation in price but was wondering if it worth the extra for 5.8 GHz rather than 2.4 GHz
Michaelā“

It depends. As I mentioned previously, most internet routers and numerous wireless devices use 2.4GHz. If you have many such devices in your home or nearby, then 2.4GHz guitar transmitters may experience interference from them.

5.8GHz is also often an option on modern wireless routers/devices, but isnā€™t usually the default. (Not yet at least.) Less devices using the band means less likelihood of interference for those that do.

I went with 5.8GHz and have had no interference issues at all.

1 Like

Ross @Goffik
Thanks for the advice as you would expect lots of wireless devices in the house, therefore will look at the 5.8ā€™s
Cheers Michael

1 Like

I donā€™t have one, thereā€™s a guy Scott Uhl on Youtube who regularly reviews this type of thing, goes into the pros and cons of each type. Seems to be fairly objective in his views,

One extra bit of info-
The Line 6 GT10TII is built like a bloody tank!
My HB went into freefall a couple of weeks ago (I knowā€¦ get strap-locks :roll_eyes:).
it fell on its butt and the wireless transmitter bent the jack socket out of place. damaging its treads.
Not a scratch on the transmitter and itā€™s working fine :smiley:

Cheap as chips :+1:

1 Like

I got myself this and I love it

1 Like

I bought a Boss WL-20 a few months ago and it sucks. Constant dropouts. Iā€™ve gone back to cables and am going to sell it. It was rated quite highly in the comparison by Scott Uhl as well.

Either too much tech in my house or itā€™s interfering with the amp itself (which has Bluetooth).

So YMMV.

I have to disagree on this one, except my printer and older gen Google home everything automatically hooks itself up on 5GHz. Same on previous and current providerā€™s router

Iā€™ve got a Boss WL-20 as well and havenā€™t had any issues apart from the battery doesnā€™t last that long but expect thats the same with all brands.

And I have the opposite experience, where everything I have uses 2.4GHz by default. The fact that Iā€™ve never had any interference issues with 5.8GHz leads me to believe that 2.4GHz is still the ā€œnormā€, given that most people do not rush out to buy the absolute latest gear when they already own items that do the job just fine. Hence my disclaimer which you didnā€™t quote, ā€œNot yet at leastā€, because eventually 5.8GHz will indeed be more widespread.

In other words, given a choice of 2.4 or 5.8 you are more likely to get interference with 2.4 because the vast majority still own and use that ā€œolderā€ gear.

I remember you having a good experience on the other thread about wireless.

Different amp, different house, different countryā€¦ sadly it shows how inconsistent wireless systems can be given different environments. I donā€™t think Line6 would necessarily be any better, perhaps one with channel selection could work. Itā€™s not like I stand far from the amp though, Iā€™m always within 3 metres. So Im sticking with cables for now :grinning:.

In the shophouse I am currently staying in, my Line 6 wireless gets a lot of interference. Itā€™s the second one I have as the previous one died, so itā€™s not the unit: itā€™s the environment.

Iā€™m moving to a new apartment today, so I hope there is less interference there.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Hi ,
I have now 4 weeks theā€¦ Line6 Relay G10IIā€¦

I donā€™t understand how I could ever live without, :roll_eyes: ā€¦ no disturbances here :sunglasses: and have wifi compurer and telephone close to it all day,ā€¦

Good luck with choosing,

Greetings,Rogier

Edit: After I just read 3 comments, ā€¦ the battery is not empty after about 5 hours of playing in a day, ā€¦ and so now and then i sit 6 meters away from the receiver that stands on my amplifier, and no interference,ā€¦

So do you if you live in the Netherlands near Nijkerk, then this is your wireless system to play with :sunglasses:, ā€¦ for the rest it is of course a gamble :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I have the G10 and a pod go wireless and both work great without interference despite them being set up less than a meter away from my modem.

Does that kind of wireless system works if you plug them directly into focusrite 2i2 and the guitar ?
(I donā€™t have an amp, I play with amp simulator pc software like Neural DSP)

Both the G10 and pod go wireless will yes, I run both via a 3 way switch to the 2i2.

1 Like