Guitar withdrawal symptoms

Every time Iā€™ve had to take an extended hiatus from guitar (more than a day or two,) either by choice or due to life circumstances, Iā€™ve actually played better when I got back to it. Iā€™ll be interested to see how you react, given that itā€™s the first time youā€™ve ever experienced it.

1 Like

In bay of plenty, Papamoa, pretty packed schedule seeing family and touristy stuff though! Where are you at?

1 Like

ah wrong island, in Christchurchā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, holidays are good, plenty of eating bad food, drinking and no guitar thoughā€¦ hmm, is it doing me good? :rofl:

If the recycle bin is anything to go by, for sure Iā€™ve tried a few of the local craft beers :wink:. I donā€™t mind a good hazy pale ale.

And based on the smell by the beach lookout in the evening the locals donā€™t mind some more plant based pursuits. Not my thing though. :wink:

Good tips on the fretboard stuff. Iā€™m using justinā€™s apps for some of that. And AVOYPsā€¦ not just yours :rofl:

Alcohol and ice cream. Not mixed though.

1 Like

Itā€™s terrible! :rofl: :rofl:

Based on your AVOYP youā€™re doing as well as ever. Iā€™m hoping a couple of weeks isnā€™t enough to lose callusesā€¦ that would be a PITA.

Wow, I did not even know that was a thing. Not cheap but looks pretty cool. How does it sound & play?

2 Likes

You could always crack on with Chris Liepeā€™s course in the evening down by the beach lookout :wink:

2 Likes

Donā€™t want to get arrested for public nuisance @Socio :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

A kiwi bach will typically have a washing up bowl or laundry basket, mop and certainly no8 wire hanging around somewhere.

So get on and build your own

1 Like

@jkane The sound is quite good, not as loud as Iā€™d like it to be, but keep in mind my daily play acoustic is quite loud. The nut size is 1 3/4 which is my preference. It has built in static pickup so I use a headphone amp and feed that to a battery powered speaker when I need volume. That worked well for me on a trip to the US where I played for family outdoors near a busy road. Not a gigging setup but gave that extra bit of volume.

The body size I would describe as 7/8, not quite full size but not small. Iā€™ve previously owned a maton mini which I gave up on due to lack of volume unplugged and the journey is definitely better than the mini.

Iā€™d say itā€™s all about compromises. The compromises I get with the Journey suit me because I can take it all sorts of places I canā€™t take my full size acoustic. I like it well enough that itā€™s my spare guitar while we travel in our RV where I have room for it and my acoustic.

Several friends have bought the wooden Journey models, also collapsible and cheaper and several of them complained about the build quality.

1 Like

Yes! Of course! We all should look further than to the fretboard from time to time, even if itā€™s hard! See it as a chance to look outside of the ā€œguitar is always on my mindā€ box :wink:
Better said than done, I knowā€¦ Iā€™m a enthousiastic skier and love outdoor sports, but since I touched my guitar for the first time, I find myself always thinking about guitar related stuff, even in a chairlift I find myself thinking about how much practice time I miss while waiting for the ascent. Completely stupid :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Well I arrived back home a couple of days ago, exhausted. Played some guitar of course.

I can still play fine :astonished: although Iā€™m a lot sloppier than before and my fingertips hurt a bit! Not newbie pain but Iā€™m certainly feeling it after half an hour of playing.

Time to get back on the practice wagon.

I think Iā€™ll look into one of those travel guitars if I end up on another trip in the future. Road trips I just take my cheapo Yamaha.

4 Likes

Iā€™m also currently on vacation, with family, away from my guitar, for five days. Itā€™s been a nice trip, but I have thought about guitar practice many times.

1 Like

Torture! :joy:

1 Like