Guitars ,Genres & styles of playing

Not yet, try again in June lol.

R

Slide, not my cuppa. Acoustic hits is definately yes, tremolo I don’t know, possibly on that one.

R

Certain guitars can inspire you to play certain genres and styles. Strat nick pickups are great for buttery leads, tele bridge pickups can serve up lots of clarity and twang. That doesn’t mean you can’t get along fine with a single guitar for everything. I think my tele with a 4-way switch can touch a lot of bases, but I still find inspiration from all my guitars. It’s nice to switch things up too.

1 Like

Cheeky Monkey.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

R.

1 Like

So far I was never inclined to use this technique, what I currently do does not require use of thumb. I quickly checked few of my favourite fingerstyle artist and none of them use left thumb. In general, since this is only 2 mm, it shouldn’t be much of a trade off. It could be in case of classical 50 mm wide fretboard neck.

I would reconsider that statement; while you’ll see some do it and especially to do that Hendrix’esque style of lead+melody combination, I think your “meat and potatoes” fingerpicking is mostly regular barre chords. Especially when learning and developing.

I probably should have qualified: a lot of folk and blues-based fingerstyle guitar is played with the thumb-over-the-top grip. I’m thinking of Tommy Emmanuel, Chet Atkins, Justin Johnson, Mark Knopfler, guys like that. Maybe that’s not very “meat and potatoes”, but it’s the style that I’m most familiar with.

Ah yes, all well known, estblished and very flavour filled players :smiley: more like Michelin star restaurant kinda things than met ‘n’ potatoes indeed :smiley:

1 Like

Just your average players…

It’s not about the players, but the style. Even crappy acoustic blues players (like me!) use the thumb-over grip.

BTW, the thumb-over grip for this style may not be as hard as you think. I can only play it like this (F chord): 1x321x. The 5th string is essentially never played so not reaching it is no big deal. However, the first string is sometimes picked and for that I usually have to roll my index finger to fret the 1st string. I can’t manage to fret the 1st 2 strings at the same time.

Something i’ll not be able to achieve, my hands are very small, my hand span is just 8". I’ve tried to fret low E from open D and and can’t reach on my Les Paul 50’s, which has a narrow neck lol.

R

I think it is quite an interesting topic. It all depends on what you play and who you look up to. All great names mentioned already above, however I (and probably few others too) find my inspiration in music played by Ulli Boegershausen, Sungha Jung, Youngso Kim, Andrew Foy, Łukasz Kapuściński, Marcin Patrzałek, Kuba Jurczak and Sean de Burca. Their style usually doesn’t employ the mentioned technique and they all sound great.

1 Like

@RadekSiechowicz thanks for the list! I had heard of a couple of these, but I’m not very familiar with this style. I went and checked out one or two songs from each of them. Some of those guys are pretty wild! Seems like some of them come from the classical side of things (just guessing from how they hold their guitar and position the thumb on the fretting hand.)

Obviously, super accomplished players, no question about that. I still prefer my Mississippi John Hurt and the like, but I can’t deny this stuff is pretty compelling.

(BTW, Sungha and Kuba do use the thumb over, at least on the songs I happened to see. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Rachel, you might not be into Tele’s but as you are into hollow body, perhaps check out a hollow Tele. You can do anything on one. Enjoy your search whatever guitar it may bring you. :smiley:

1 Like

You are welcome and I’m glad that you liked it.

If they use it it must be good :slight_smile:. But seriously, if it’s needed it should be learned, just in general or for a particular song. Actually this inspires me to look into one of the songs I practise and try it out there, with the thumb over the bass string.

There is a time and place for everything, but I will go +1 on thumb over preference. Much less wrist fatigue and full bar chords can get muddy at times. You only need three notes to make a chord.

alright, let’s stick to the topic here; which is guitars, their genres; sense or nonsense

2 Likes

Better than I thought,

R

Still has that little unfinished look to me though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Remember T style guitars are made by many makers today, and many better than Fender.

Or even make one yourself! :joy:

2 Likes