Guitars ,Genres & styles of playing

Is it a big birthday @TheMadman_tobyjenner ? If youā€™re looking for something really special, that would look great next to your Gibsonsā€¦

:smiling_imp:

1 Like

What, that canoe paddle, I wouldnā€™t denigrate my lovely Guitar with such a thing. :slight_smile:

R

1 Like

The ONLY Tele to catch my eye
Delaney Guitars

AJ Fullerton Signature

R

3 Likes

Youā€™re a very naughty boy (in my best Python accent). Only 68 so nowt special. Just as well I donā€™t do blue ! But I really do Sunburst :wink: I need to block Thomann from my browser. :rofl:

2 Likes

A quick scan of the whole thread and it seems only one mention by Rob about fretboard radius.

I suggest learning about it more and considering the fretboard geometry as one of the most important pieces as to how a guitar plays and feels.

Tone is a variable and easily influenced aspect, leading to nuanced differences in guitars that can be easily accommodated.

Raw size and shape (and weight) are obvious concerns. Like the difference between a dreadnaught and a telecaster. Among specific and similar types of guitars this is another nuance.

But then you have the fretboard, with so many important variables that really affect how the guitar feels.

1. Nut width affects string spacing, reach, technique and articulation of notes.
  2. Radius affects ease of cords, strumming, movement and articulation. Flatter fretboards are considered ā€œfasterā€ and better at not separation. Tight, highly radiused better for rhythm and strumming.
  3. Scale length affects string tension, fret spacing, reach for notes and finger crowding.
  4. Neck profile affects how the neck feels in your hand as well as reach.
    Just what I can think of off the top of my head.

There is a reason classical guitars have flat fretboards with wide nuts. It allows for rapid and separate articulation of notes as often found in classical music. But, it makes other aspects like barre and power cords, hard strumming and so on less ideal.

A Stratocaster with a 9.5ā€ radius and a 42mm neck will not be easy to play if you want to play like a typical classical guitar player.

The list of guitars above all have 10ā€ or 12ā€ radius fretboards, so a good middle ground. Might think about what you want to do more, rhythm or lead.

Similar with nut width. Too narrow will be harder to pick out notes. Too wide harder to reach. I like wide, in spite of smallish hands, playing classical, and my steel string is a 46mm nut.

Neck profile is the hardest for me to consider. You can describe a profile all you want and I wonā€™t have a clue how it feels or if I like it. I know I have picked up the occasional guitar and felt it was better or worse than others, but donā€™t know what the profiles were like and all my guitars were bought without trying them and are fine. Just keep it in mind and if your hands are small, maybe stay away from things described as larger profiles.

I am not big and like short scales, although my classical is 660mm (25.98ā€) and is fine.

1 Like

Indeed, I only briefly mentioned the metrics you have explained more broadly here. I agree that these specs are quite significant in the experiences but also ā€˜toneā€™ and character of the instrument!

1 Like

I suspect some of both but, predominantly rythem. By the looks of things i suspect my list will get quickly whittled down because of issues I dont like or cant handle.

IE: Gretch Broadkaster, Iā€™m not sure about having a bigbsy and , the 335 has a chunky neck which I donā€™t think iā€™ll be able to handle. Etcā€¦

R

Ooh, prettyā€¦

R.

2 Likes

I know youā€™re after a new guitar. I saw this and this and thought of you. :smiley:

Tobys_new_guitar

1 Like

EEEkkkk Looks like its sponsored by Gillette !

1 Like

Yep, so it must be the, best a man can get. :smiley:

1 Like

errrā€¦ ABSOLUTELY NO. ! Dont do it lol
My other half just told me that chap just had the entire upper half of his body tatooed in black , nut job, and the fack that someone would do that kind of work :frowning:

R

Specs for that pic i posted.

SPECIFICATIONS

Body Material Laminated Ultra Figured Curly Maple
Body Color Dark Cherry Sunburst
Body Finish Nitrocellulose with Vintage Gloss
Rim Wood Solid Curly Maple
Fretboard Material Rosewood
Fretboard Radius 12"
Fret Size Jescar Medium/Jumbo
Nut Material Bone
Neck Profile 50s C (.8910" ā€“ .9805ā€)
Headstock Holly veneer, ā€˜Heritageā€™ logo with Twin Arrow Inlay
Neck Wood Genuine Mahogany
Scale Length 24-3/4"
No. of Frets 22
Fretboard Inlays Blocks
Pickups Heritage Custom Shop 225 Classic Humbuckers (Neck & Bridge)
Controls 2 x Volume, 2 x Tone, 3-Way Toggle
Electronics CTS 500K Potentiometers, Vishay .022uF Capacitors, Switchcraft Toggle Switch and Pure Tone Input Jack
Bridge Locking Bridge and Trapeze Tailpiece
Pickguard Plastic
Strings Elixir
Tuning Machines Heritage Custom Shop Tuners
Hardware Finish Nickel
Control Knobs Black Top Hat
Switch Tip Black
Case Custom Shop Case and Case Candies

So Rachelā€¦
this is funny because as I read your latest post here I had just a few moments before been watching this:

Heritage H-530 with their P-90 pickups sounds & looks amazing! I havenā€™t ever seen a Heritage guitar in person but sure would like to give one a try! Theyā€™re so appealing & their an iconic brand. Love that theyā€™re built in Gibsonā€™s old factory in Kalamazoo Michigan USA!

Good luck with your search for ā€œThe Oneā€!!!

Tod

P.S. I just realized that the link above takes you to the web page on Heritageā€™s siteā€¦ you have to click on the video to hear the P-90ā€™s sweet tone!

:slight_smile: , Yes, they both have great sounds.

I do love that Dark Cherry though, I had spotted a lovely 335 Ice T burst at peach guitars which I thought would be a great choice but that model has a very large neck. The Heritage on the other hand is similar (near as) to my current guitar so makes more sense.

Iā€™m off to Andertons next week to try the one they have there, fingers xā€™d it will still be there lolā€¦
Iā€™ve been trying to get my partner to take me for over a month now :frowning:

R.

4 Likes

Had a day out yesterday and a good 2 hours in Andertons.

I tried the Suona Thinline strat and to be perfectly honest, although I like what I see and hear I really didnā€™t like the feel.

I was supposed to try a PRS(Tigers Eye or some such thing) but time for parking was getting short. Maybe next time.

Surprisingly both the Gibson 335 and Heritage 535 both felt easy to get along with. I was a little concerned that they may feel BIG ! but I managed just fine.

I was able to play a piece right off the bat that I have played a lot and another with just minor finger placement issues with slightly faster chord changes. I tried the most difficult F on these two and found both to be playable but both needed minor hand adjustments. Iā€™m certain this is simply to do with guitar size as Iā€™m judging agianst my Epi ES 339 and Les Paul standard.

All in all , pleased with both . :smile:

R

Not decided yet, OK

6 Likes

So decisions decisions. I attended the Club last night. Very insightful, a few things learned about guitars which helped me understand more. Thanks @LievenDV

Iā€™ve been waiting last night club to happen before I decide on where to head with this LAST guitar.

I have a hankering for the 535, It looks great and was fine to play , my fears about it being to big was put aside after playing one at Andertons. So, I think this should be the direction I head.

R

1 Like

sounds like a plan :wink:

1 Like