Hackney Diamonds

:grinning:

Jeez! An internet abbreviation and then an internet page to explain the abbreviation because the abbreviation itself doesnā€™t make sense because mileage has got nothing to do with opinion! But of course, YMā€¦ā€¦oh never mindā€¦.IOTDSUā€¦.!

(Iā€™m off to do something useful)

3 Likes

ok boomer :laughing::laughing::laughing: DLTDHYITA

Is that directed at me?

According to a newspaper article about the Rolling Stones new album -

ā€˜ The title Hackney Diamonds refers to local slang for the glass left behind when a car windscreen is smashed in a robbery. Keith explained: ā€œ We were looking at titles like Smash And Grab and Break And Enter, before we hit on Hackney Diamonds ā€œ
Mick added: ā€œ Itā€™s also good because weā€™re a London band ā€œ ā€˜

3 Likes

@brianlarsen I also began with compilations ā€¦

image and

After watching

Then thereā€™s this one that is a generally enjoyable compilation.

Of course all the compilations can be criticised as unnecessary, fulfilment of contractual obligations, and just about money-making.

And are the Stones still delivering a live show worthy of the price of admission. Sure thereā€™d be many different views on that.

Alliteration intended :wink:

I have dipped into Cave but donā€™t really know anything of his career, the albums etc. Some of the albums I enjoyed, some were really unlistenable to me (probably just too eclectic, meaningful, artistic for my simple palette/palate (take your pick))

Cohen is perhaps more poet who sings rather than reads his poetry?

Also not deeply into Cash. I mostly listen to the American Series produced with Rick Rubin. His covers of a variety of songs from a wide range of artists are wonderful.

I guess you could also add Bob Dylan and Neil Young into the conversation about how artists have evolved over 50-60 years.

In the interview the Stones mentioned that Hackney Diamonds would be quite eclectic. Angry is formulaic pop-rock track. Will be interesting to hear the rest, if perhaps other songs not intended as singles etc have more worthy substance.

2 Likes

As I read the thread, I donā€™t think so Mark.

That said, I happened to be listening to a John Cleese interview that discussed the topic of humour and making jokes at other peopleā€™s expense. In a nutshell, he said it should only be done with genuine affection, nothing mean-spirited or spiteful

Letā€™s strive to keep our banter to the former, and err on the side of caution.

2 Likes

On the topic of bands whose album releases maintain their high standards, with each album having many great songs, guess whose favourite Australian band released a new album this year and are currently touring Oz and the USA?

The bandā€™s 22nd studio album in a 42 year career.

1 Like

How do you guys purchase an album?

Itā€™s amazing what you can do with money :rofl:
No, seriously, I presume you are enquiring about what medium/platform?
I have no qualms about downloading mp3s from the internet (YouTube etc)
If it is an artist I really like or feel should be supported, I will purchase from bandcamp or maybe even buy a physical CD from that jungle company :roll_eyes:

Physical CD means Vinyl CD ? :smiling_face: @brianlarsen

So what are people thinking to the new single, Angry?

Very commercial, very pop rock. It lacks the grit and rock n roll blues drive if their earlier stuff.
In keeping with the internet age, the video has the click bait factor of course and 90% of the content shows the Stones as the younger men they wish they still were. Donā€™t we all though. :smiley:

Now letā€™s be fair, it was only about 50%. The other 50% was devoted to the scantily-clad blonde writhing about on a car driving through L.A. :smiley:

1 Like

Canā€™t see it being lauded as a Stones classic. As Gordon said very commercial but I guess that works as marketing for the new album. But there again we live in a different world these days and the music industry reacts to that to maximise sales. Hope the album has better content but not holding my breath. :thinking: