Hallelujah - Fingerpicked cover by JK

It was great JK overall, very nice changes to F chord sounded good to me! Thumb position is to be looked at but it isn’t anything urgent for now, just worth keeping an eye and it will pay benefits in the future :slight_smile:

Btw your voice could really go well with Johnny Cash songs, we have one mater of JC songs but never enough of good old JC :grin:

1 Like

Lovely take on this gorgeous song.

1 Like

Thanks Adrian. Hadn’t really noticed my thumb position, thanks for pointing that out - something for me to work on for sure.

I might give some Johnny Cash a shot at some point. Hurt is in my repertoire, the NiN crossover :grinning:.

2 Likes

Glad you liked it @Mari63 and @Gwjr.

1 Like

Of course :see_no_evil:…I should have known :joy:

2 Likes

That was great, JK. Very nicely fingerpicked. It’s one of my favourite songs. Well done, mate.

1 Like

Yes very Cohen-esque JK. Well done, I enjoyed your version. Your deep voice suits the song and your fingerstyle was really well played.
I’m not sure how important the thumb position is. I think my own thumb is neutral. Not in front of the fingers but not behind.

1 Like

Bit late to the party, but I enjoyed that. Love me a bit of Cohen every now and again and the fingerpicking worked well.
I know your voice is low, but there were a couple of times I wondered if it would sound even better a little higher?
Slap the capo on a couple of frets up and see what it sounds like. It might even make the barre chords easier to fret, by eliminating the ‘nut factor’ :wink:

1 Like

Nice performance JK thought that was very good. Vocally that was actually pretty strong you’re just singing a little too low and within yourself. You need to push the air out a bit more to get some volume AND then I expect you’ll probably find yourself singing somewhat higher.

Practice vocal away from guitar it’s a separate instrument. Sing to everything and anything whenever you can and use your ears (and recording) to see if you’re improving. Plenty of people will suggest a few good separate vocal specific courses that will help as well.

What a lovely Maton guitar! <3

what a timbre, fit for Cohen, Waits and whatnot!
solid timings on the playing; keep on singing!

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it Brian.

At this stage of my amateur singing career, I’ve really only just learned to sing even close to pitch. I agree I went too low at times, I don’t think I have enough voice control yet to change the key with a capo. I’ll keep that in mind for when I’m a bit further along.

Thanks @Rossco01.

100% agree with your feedback, just not sure how to fix it yet. I’ve been using a simple app called “SingTrue” to do some ear training and pitch matching. It’s pretty basic, for people that can’t sing in key or match a pitch. Doing an online course after I’ve finished that is definitely on the list.

Who would have thought this guitar thing would lead me to singing… I didn’t see that coming.

1 Like

Yep, I love it! Made in Melbourne, all solid wood. Matons are reasonably common here in oz, whereas Martins/Taylors etc are not so much.

@sairfingers @Socio

Thanks for the feedback guys. It’s quite fun to play this one fingerstyle, a pretty simple pattern

I think you made it look simple :wink: You got me looking forward to starting the next module.

1 Like

Long thread alert! Well played and sung.

No way did I read everything posted before, but was drawn to @Richard_close2u recommendation to transpose and had to toss a like his way. This key was way too low for you to sing. Capo that bad boy and see if you can get more juice from your vocals.

1 Like

You don’t need any voice control to sing in a different key. Find out what note you are starting out on, put the capo on, say 3 frets up the neck and just start singing 3 semitones higher. The melody remains exactly the same.

You make it sound so easy, Brian :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Au contraire, mon ami.
It takes fantastic skill to be able to sing a song from only one particular note.
Without a guiding note, that would require perfect pitch.
Most people who sing, and always in a sing-along, just join in with whatever key is being played. It’s the intervals that usually cause problems

@brianlarsen You do make it sound easy, like @DavidP said. And that’s beyond my singing ability unfortunately. When I said voice control, I mean the ability to match a note, I’m not sure if it has some other meaning.

Just the example of singing along with others, or a guitar, in the same key, or following a melody, I can’t do. It’s why I was all over the place in the recording and went way too low. I know your feedback is right, and thank you for it, it’s just outside of my ability.

I’m fine with it, and working on improving - very, very slowly. It’s much harder for me than guitar though. In the meantime I’ll continue torturing my family and occasionally torturing you guys with my videos - mainly because they can be a bit boring without words.