Heart of Gold cover

Hi everyone, here is my cover of Neil Young’s Heart of Gold. I’ve been playing harmonica a little bit for a couple of years, only really for about a half a dozen songs. Like to do more but currently focused on improving my guitar skills. Then move on to focus more on harmonica and vocals. Interested in your feedback. Thanks for listening.

12 Likes

That was great! Makes me want to explore the hamonica, although I’ve got enough to think about with guitar and vocals, no idea how you manage to add another instrument into the mix, it felt very smooth.

1 Like

Thanks Paul. It took a little while but I think basically learn the guitar parts and the harmonic parts separately, and then very slowly try to put them together. And at least I don’t have to sing while I’m playing harmonica!

1 Like

Another enjoyable performance. The harmonica was cool too. Great vocals. And as I may have said before, I love your taste in music.

1 Like

Hello Greg, congratulations on this nice rendition of this beautiful song :+1::clap::smiley:!
I played this song at an JG Open Mic and wished I could have played the harmonica as well. It suits this song so well. Great version :star_struck:!

2 Likes

Good stuff Greg but there is something not quite right with your strumming pattern. At certain points it’s too rushed and doesn’t quite fit.
Enjoyed your harp playing though. Singing, strumming and harp together, not easy.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll take a look at that!

Thank you!

Thanks Nicole. Have you tried playing harmonica? It’s a lot of fun!

1 Like

Hi Greg
Loved this! Love the song and enjoyed listening to your playing! Great job on the harmonica together with your guitar and vocals! :star_struck: :clap:t2: :sunflower:

1 Like

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Nice rendition all around. I really enjoyed the mix of vocals and harmonica with your playing. I think you did a nice job transitioning between the two in this recording.

1 Like

Thanks Roy!

Very impressive all round Greg. Vocals playing and harmonica. Really enjoyed that a lot.

1 Like

Thanks Eddie!

1 Like

Hey Greg, nice cover! Your harmonic skills are to be envied. I’m curious, what’s easier - playing and harmonica, or playing and singing?

I agree with @sairfingers, there’s something off with the timing in a couple of spots. Definitely in the intro, I think the timing of the hammer-on isn’t quite right. It’s noticeable because it’s such an iconic song. So something there to work on :slight_smile:

Overall really enjoyed it :smiley:

Thanks I will definitely have a look at the timing, thanks for your specific feedback that should help!

As for your question playing and singing at the same time is easier for me now but I’ve been doing it for longer. With the harmonica when I learn a new song I need to know the harmonica part and the guitar part separately, and then I slow it right down and learn to play it measure by measure with the two together. Then it doesn’t take too long to speed it back up.

1 Like

That was really good Greg. Nice playing on the harmonica as well. You looked really comfortable doing the two together.

1 Like

Thank you yes I do find it enjoyable, must learn a few more songs!