Hearts - an original

Theatrical, whimsical, and very personal. Lots of ebbs and flows, not a lot of straight connecting lines (musically or lyrically), which makes the journey interesting and unique. Very expressive and raw, so very well done and incredibly introspective.

1 Like

I’m curious about this Clint. I get the musical bit, as I swing in and out of C with chords that don’t belong, and my rhythm includes 6/4 and 2/4 bars, but I don’t get how the lyrics are not in straight, connecting lines.

Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment.

You see that as a knock, it isn’t. I’m an outsider looking in. Some of the lyrical strength lies in what is not revealed - the lines that aren’t fully connected. Most notably whatever it is that happened and precisely what is being done about it. There’s a broken heart and the longing for a new one. Was it a death? Unrequited love? The emotional beatdown that comes with living long enough? A composite of things? It’s not a conventional story with a beginning, middle or end by any means, which is another strength.

1 Like

This is 105% storytelling :smiley:
The word “theatrical” was mentioned and that’s how it felt; right out of a musical.
Love your timbre and that sniff of stand-up comedy creeping in.
Lyrics: fun theme and execution.

I miss a bit of rhytmic consistency to be able as listener to “anticipate” and follow the groove.
Good production value though.

Today I’ve been graced with comments from two more GOOD HEARTS from our community.

@CT I didn’t read your prior comment as a knock or a criticism, I just didn’t get it. Thanks so much for expanding on your comment Clint. I understand now what you mean. Perceptive man that you are, the stories of all the hearts are very much as you understand and read them. I really appreciate you taking the time to chat with me. :gift_heart:

@LievenDV Thankyou for taking the time to read, listen and comment.

You’ve nailed my discomfort with the rhythm. I could feel what you’re talking about but haven’t been able to put it into words except to say it wasn’t on the grid, some bars have too many beats etc. It’s been academic, rather than experiential. I’ve been playing without a metronome over the past couple of days and letting myself FEEL where the rhythm is and that’s working better for me.

I’m going to make following the groove for rhythmic consistency foremost in my mind today when I play the song again. That concept clicks with me.

Thankyou :gift_heart:

2 Likes

Hi Maggie,

Intriguing vocal; very adventurous and makes for an interesting listen.

I think i’d be tempted to keep it as guitar and vocal only as it has a certain vibe to it.
Even so, I’d probably have a drum track in the background whilst recording - just a simple beat to help hold timings - then remove it from the final out put.
I find trying to play/record to a metronome unengaging - a drum track helps me find a groove more easily.
That said - will be good to hear an embellished version.

Digger

1 Like

@Digger72 thanks so much for your comments and suggestions. I’m spending some more time on the things that don’t please me and will post again when it’s better, though I’ve decided to keep it as voice and guitar only. I may add a vocal harmony as I want to keep it simple. I do hope all is well in your world.

Hi Maggie!
What an amazing concept your song has! You can write a whole novel about it.
And I fully support you - no agencies are needed to hire spare hearts, your real Good Heart is the best :slightly_smiling_face:
I admire your beautiful vocals, it becomes even more amazing!
Waiting for the further flourishing of your song,
Leo

1 Like

@crocodile1 Leo what an encouraging comment, thankyou, it means a lot to me and spurs me on to improve the song. I hope your Good Heart is well and happy.

Maggie

So glad you decided to move this across from the LL and give it well deserved greater and wider exposure. Not sure why its taken me 9 days to respond though ! My bad. You are a truly gifted story teller and I love the way you have brought this to life through you’re music. And I would again say this does not need a steady rhythm or pulse. The spontaneity and uniqueness would be lost and its that free flowing approach that make this so special.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner I put the song in the LL to accompany the words and story. I thought non native speakers might have a problem with understanding what I was singing about. When I do it for an OM I’ll have to be extra careful about making the words clear and that includes getting up close to the mic. Thanks Toby for all your encouragement, feedback and goodness.

1 Like

I am here to serve. :wink:

1 Like

2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps please :smiley:

2 Likes

Brian lah, since you ask so nicely :beers: :fries: