Hearts revisited

@roger_holland this is a local venue, 5 minutes drive away. I’ve pretty much given up on the OM that’s 2 hours drive away with no guarantee of getting my name on the board. The local OM is in a noisy bar and the sound system is just a speaker facing the audience. I hope I can hear myself. Steve the muso who runs it is a superb musician and entertainer. I watch him spellbound. He’s even offered to play with me. :no_mouth: I felt too overawed to say yes the first time he offered. When he offered again last night, I said ‘yes please’. At the end of the night some of the people who’d played jammed with Steve - sax, singers, djembe, harmonia - ooooh what a treat. I’m aiming at being able to do that sometime in the near future too.

1 Like

:joy: :rofl: :joy:
I see and hear it happen exactly before my eyes … I laugh out loud now, … very cool, and what a nice evening you had … :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
And it’s nice that you don’t have to lie in a sleeping bag in front of the door(2 hours drive for nothing maby again,… :woozy_face:,…you`r right not to do that anymore) … next week if you want to play, nice now around the corner…

1 Like

Hum,
Lots of thoughts on this one. I will start by saying I fully understand song project burn out. But you have a very solid foundation on this one and something to big time build off of. As your song says at the end, why not “take some time away” and then come back polish this up into something you owe yourself to do? I mean you have invested a lot into this and it is a pity to just drop it where it is at, since there is so much goodness and potential here.

I found in spots some frrogy/fry singing in the low registers. You are very capable of correcting this I am sure. I listened to your harmony snip and think you ought to incorporate that into your final project mix.

There is some excellent recording work done on your guitar to where I can hear your picked stings nicely and overall the mix is good. I would ditch the breaths though.

In summary, I sure hope you pick this back up as it has so much potential. Maybe you can trick the mind into this being a quasi new project at some point and hit it with new vigor…

All the best,
LB

1 Like

@LBro thankyou LB for your comment. You have so such a high level of skill, expertise and experience when it comes to making music, I value your observations and suggestions very much.

Hmmm there are so many projects that are calling for me to return and polish them. I’ll add this to the pile. Right now I’m working on a new project that is also doubling as prep for OMs.

I very much appreciate you taking the time to help me LB. Thankyou.

A “pile of projects needing final polish”? This is not good. Well at some point IMHO you should take another shot at Hearts and drive it to a fitting project completion!

All the best and knock em dead at the OM!
LB

1 Like

Hi Maggie,
sorry for the delay but didn’t want to listen to this on my mobile phone on holidays.
Love this project and you know I have a soft spot for originals.
Lots of playfulness going on here and breaking out of the traditional song structure suits you.
I found the harmonies interesting, but am a bit confused: is the clip really only 14 seconds long, or is that a glitch on my end?
Happy to hear you’ll be sharing your good heart with the lucky punters :smiley:

1 Like

Maggie

Finally got rid of the family and have the time to take a good listen. I am not too sure about the Harmony version, as it distracts from your pure isolated vocals but it would perhaps work as an augmentation here and there. As to the remix, personally I like what you have done. I did not do a back to back review but the guitars are cutting through but more importantly there some smokeyness coming through on the vocals and subtle fry that gives it an extra edge and perhaps some attitude. Certainly think those passage worked well and contrasted well with your normal angelic tones. A pleasure to listen to as always.
Are there plans to explore this one further or is there a new project on the horizon ?

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

@brianlarsen good things come to those who wait :blush: You bring many good things and food for thought in your comment. Thankyou Brian. The harmony was just 14 seconds and was really an indulgence, play time for me mucking around. I only recorded one verse, then decided it didn’t suit the song.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner I hope it’s been a heartwarming time with fam bam Toby. I appreciate your listening with an ear trained for vocal variations, thankyou for that and your generosity :blush: Despite LBro’s encouragement I’m leaving this one for now. Currently working on If It Makes You Happy.

Have a listen to this haha, my alter ego out and about :laughing: :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Maggie as soon as I played that clip one of my dogs ears popped up and within seconds was on top of me with its tail wagging trying to kiss my phone every time your alter ego spoke :rofl:

1 Like

Frying tonight ! Loved it.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Wicked Maggie. You sound about ready to do a animated film voice over of wicked character who sings a bit.

2 Likes

Wicked witch of Australia… Maybe you have been hanging around with Chris Liepe too long?
:wink:
LB

2 Likes

@Socio :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I can’t stop laughing James. This is so funny. Thankyou for sharing the fun. Please give Miss or Mr :dog: a pat from me. I’m writing your comment in my music notebook. It’s a gem and so are you.

Your comment reminded me of this post from Marcus. I’d posted Hope Dies Last.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner yeah eggs on toast with a bit of crow Toby.

@DavidP I thoroughly enjoyed going to the dark side David. So nice to see you out and about. Take it steady won’t you :smiling_face:

@LBro haha it’s fun letting the witch out. Chris Liepe does have rather an influence. One of the things he says all the time that I’ve taken to heart is Experience Everything Judge Nothing. It’s so liberating.

1 Like

Hi Maggie!
I remember that original song very well. And I want to say that you did a great job on it. Guitar tracks sound great, clean and in timing. At the very end, a very interesting chord sounds - just super!
And the vocals now have additional colors - a little hoarseness, and I’m just charmed, damn it!
As for the version with harmonies - to be honest, such a complication does not really fit this song, it seems to me that the vocals in their pure form sound much more interesting here.
In any case, I wish you to choose a moment in the future, gather your strength and mood, and continue working on this song.
It’s definitely worth it!
All the best,
Leo

1 Like

@crocodile1

This pleases me a lot. I made the timing and better playing, especially the barre chords, the most important focus. I respect your expertise so your comment means a lot to me.

Haha your vocals have the same effect on me, I fall in love every time I hear you sing.

I feel so encouraged by your comment. Thankyou Leo.

Hi Maggie,

Did you go yesterday? and how did it go?.. come and brag a little bit about it here about how fantastic it went and how many roses and underwear you managed to catch :joy:
I hope with all my heart you had a great evening anyway… :blush:
Greetings I… :bouquet:

1 Like

@roger_holland what a good memory you have Rogier. I had hoped to post a photo or a short snippet of video. The absence of these is evidence that I didn’t perform. I went to the OM, but as I felt quite unwell last night, I didn’t feel resilient or present enough to face what was a very loud, very drunk audience. I’ll go again next week and hopefully I’ll be tougher and the audience will be more quietly less drunk.

I didn’t catch any roses or collect any underwear, but I did have two very inebriated people who kept coming up to me, wrapping their arms around me and holding me tight as they declared their love for me. The drunker they got the more they loved me :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Aaa…oke…

I totally get it…but that you just considered it…(you had already imagined the pub/and crowd to me/us)…makes me think you’re a hero, :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:…and you just going to try again :sweat_smile:…facing the beast :grimacing: :man_bowing:

I don’t recognize that at all when I used to regularly visit the pub and festivals, never heard or seen or done … KUCH … :innocent:

Still, you had a nice evening reading this,… :grin: :sunglasses:

1 Like