Hello! Alejandro Piano Guitar Bass Drums Percussion Bible Technology Business Spanish Portuguese Kreyol Kriolu and others, married, with 3 music kids, Fall River, MA, USA

Hello everybody, in my best Super Grover voice, from Alejandro! But you can call me Alex, if you’d like. Many do so. If you are a fan of the old lady Gaga song, then call me Alejandro. And if you like the even older Paul Simon hit, then you can just call me Al. I stumbled upon Justin Sandercoe almost 20 years ago, but besides a tut or two, I haven’t set the time to learn from him fully. I can follow along in a some songs, patterns and progressions and can play the major and relative minor chords scales diatonically in all 12 scales on the guitar, but I’m limited to about the fifth fret with my chords and fretboard knowledge. This time and season I’m diving right in !

I am, either by fortuitous happenstance or by divine intervention, a Church of God minister (Church of God “Cleveland”, i.e. , not from the Armstrong guy) and I’m also a philologist…but isn’t everyone in here for the love of learning? I live in Fall River, MA, USA with my wife who is a phenomenal singer, and my oldest and adult son who plays the keyboard and is passionate about music production, my teenage daughter who plays the violin and sings at church and school, and my middle school boy who plays the trumpet at school, the acoustic drums at church and the electric drum set with the headphones on at home…as much as I can keep it that way. And we come together as a collective for the church band. Did I say that I love music?

But more than music, if there is such a thing, my passion is to learn new things and to communicate them. I am a unlikely technologist and, as far as money can afford, an early adopter, through setbacks such as ADHD and a stuttering problem for years, and through my own struggle. I believe in Jesus, in faith in oneself, in instructional media tech, and in its power to shortcut the learning process. I’m that odious character who likes all subjects in school. I have about one more course to finish my MBA and to infinity and beyond!

In middle school in Puerto Rico at the age of 10, I had a teacher who was too passionate about communicating what he knew when I was too young and too low a grade level to study music, so he would give me lessons during his lunch hour and after school when it was just him, me and the rats who died at his precise rock-throwing hands from a distance when coming in for the pig slop that was bound to go to the nearby farms. That is what makes me so gung-ho about music, instruction, youth and technology. I have taught hundreds of young’ns how to play piano and most of them have ended up better musicians than I am. That’s fine with me! But I’m getting tired of talking about me here, I want to hear from you all and what stokes your flames!

8 Likes

Hi Alejandro,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Welcome to the community, Alejandro!

1 Like

Hi Alex and welcome.

1 Like

is it a presentation or a curriculum vitae :rofl:

welcome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Alex

1 Like

Hello Alejandro. I too am a student and afficianado of language. In high school and college my favorite book was Roget’s Thesaurus. However, I call myself a wordsmith rather than philologist. The less eloquent out there might think that is a weird cult or something. I look forward to your posts and music.

1 Like

Welcome to the community, Alejandro! :slight_smile:

Your love and passion for music truly shows through, as well as other topics. :smiley:

Wish you loads of fun here and on your ongoing guitar journey.

Cheers - Lisa

1 Like

Welcome, Alejandro. Wow that was fast and exhausting to read! That’s a well-rounded family. Glad to have you join us and hope you get past that 5th fret this time around.

I’ve got 2 of them. :smile:

1 Like

Fabulous introduction Alejandro, welcome!!

1 Like

:smile: I was going to say I am a polyglot but that came off across as too smug. Let me settle as the stutterer. Every time I embark on a new language, it’s like a minute per phrase afterwards in my native tongues. Same with the instruments.

I’m dying. That’s why I don’t like to talk about myself but I’m excited about music. And reading. Just not about reading music. :laughing:

This is kindness from a frequent flier on the forums. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks Mark. Nice to meet you. You are a really kind fellow.

Hello, Alejandro. If you want to learn to play guitar better, you have come to the right place. I made several attempts many years ago to complete the older (classic) beginner course. I am enjoying the new beginner course with added techniques and musical principles. The completely new Grade 3 was a really valuable addition to bridge the transition from beginner to intermediate guitar. Have fun learning to play and sing songs as you advance through the lessons.

1 Like

Alejandro you type like you have an infectious personality, something that works as a minister. I noticed around six or seven people from Massachusetts made an intro post recently, all people from your church?

Lol, good one…I’ve been fishing for people from my state of MA as a starting point. As for the people from my church, they haven’t caught on yet to Justin Sandercoe. Maybe I should start get them all started on first.

I walked up into this party and didn’t know the dynamics of the forum. I use the term purposely because of the reverberation I’m unwittingly sending into ‘22.

Sorry folks!

2 Likes

I think the dynamics of the forum are what you make it, as you are part of it! A party it will be!