Hello - Alex from Germany

Hi. I’m Alex. Already started practicing guitar by book many years ago, then bought an electric guitar and stopped practicing again, probably roughly around Mid-Level 2 from this site.
Since I wanted to give it another try I though it might be a good idea to come here this time, as this is pretty much the recommended site all over the net.
I’ve already started working from the ground up again in the iPad App only to realize that it only covers a little more than I already knew and roughly the same as Beginner 1 and 2, here. So I am transitioning to here, now before I have to checkmark everything double. :wink:
So … Hi everyone. :smiley:

5 Likes

Hi Alex,
Welcome!
There are lots of people here who are returning to play after a long, long break, so you are in good company.
The best news is that with the benefit of the great lessons here, we can all probably end up as better guitarists and general musicians than we ever would have otherwise - so there’s no need for any of us to regret the " Lost years"

Good luck!
Ruaridh

1 Like

Welcome! As a 63 year old third timer at guitar I can tell you to invest in the Justin Songs App. It only incorporates the learning of Grade 1 and 2 then you shift over to the website but you will be coming back because it has 1600+ songs with vocals, backing tracks, strums and it really accelerates the process and provides tons of motivation because isn’t it about the songs anyway? Good luck….Rod

1 Like

Welcome Alex

No bad thing you’re going over old ground, just look at it as consolidation and there could be stuff in Grades 1 and 2 that you’ve not covered before. I am sure it won’t take long to get up to your natural level and start progressing again from there.

Any problems, any questions, any time just shout and there will be folks around to help.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey Alex, welcome to the community, I’m of German background with many relatives still in Germany. The guitar journey is a fun one and worth sticking to in spite of stops and starts. Look forward to more from you in the future.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, Alex.

Good advice from an old hand here, @TheMadman_tobyjenner (don’t let the Community name fool you :grin:)

2 Likes

Hello Alex and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@MGit_Lrn welcome Alex, this is a great motivational community. Cheers, Mike

1 Like

Welcome!

Going for a thorough check? good idea!
You are right to check whether your foundations are solid or not.
It doesn’t mean you have to learn every song but it certainly is good practice :smiley:

What made you lose interest?
Perhaps we can help you being pro-active in countering the threats?

example: Setting your goals helps a lot. Sounds obvious but when you approach it with care, you’ll notice that there is more to it than “I want to become the next …”

Check this lesson for more info:

Working on a repertoire and being mindful of it can sound daunting but as with everything, you break it into manageable pieces and you build on what you have.

Give this one a spin to check it out:

Having an exercise routine with a good mix of all aspects will keep you sharp.
Remember, exercise isn’t a punishment, the feelign of progress should be your reward, you don’t have to practice the same stuff everyday and you should keep it fun as well.

Why would i tell you, if Justin made some top quality content about this?

1 Like

Vorhang auf! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hello ALex, a very warm welcome to the community.
Working from the ground up to ensure good habits, correct technique and consolidate is a strong recommendation often given out by people who have been there and done it. Make sure to apply the skills you do have and become solid in them all. Learn songs, learn songs, learn songs … they will teach and embed what you know and can play. Then move ahead through the next grades / modules etc.
Cheers
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for all the comments. :slight_smile:

Yeah so far I am actually kinda pleased with how passable my guitar skills mostly based one one beginners book and some RockSmith actually were. Though I still wish I’d started out with JustinGuitar originally, really pleasant teaching style.

The one thing I won’t be able to stick to is keeping my thumb away from the E-string, though. That ship has sailed for me. XD

Hallo Alex or so sagen Die Toten Hosen…“Hier Kommt Alex”. Welcome to the forum. I have about the same story, began many years and sounded so awful I gave up. That was before everyone had internet on their cell phone. I did the same thing, tried books and advice from people at random. I am very thankful for Justin Guitar and the community of supporters. I have been here about a year and a half and posted a few songs on the forum here. I still need to do a lot of work to really sing and play well. I am hoping to learn one of my favorites from when I lived in Germany years ago (near Kaiserslautern), “Alles Aus Liebe” from the Toten Hosen. I know all words and chords, but that one is a little complex with the arpeggios. Ich wunsche vielen Gluck und viel Vergnugen .

Jeff
from San Diego California USA

Ich liebe dieses Lied!!