Hello all! I'm Sam from Oxfordshire

Hi there,

My name is Sam and I’m attempting to learn guitar again after an aborted attempt in my early 30’s (I’m now 44). I certainly don’t have much natural talent but do have a passion for music and a determination to learn that will hopefully see me through!.

I think, with the help of JustinGuitar, I’ve got over that initial ‘hump’ and am starting to see progress but still have the occasional bouts of self doubt when I feel like I’m never going to get there (wherever ‘there’ is!).

At least now my daughters seem to enjoy me playing rather than asking me to stop, so that’s good!

8 Likes

Hi Sam,
You are a youngster,…all the time to discover and develop your guitar skills…I wish you a lot of fun with it. :sunglasses:…you are on the right track here…
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Good to meet you Sam and welcome!!
Passion and determination are all you need (and a bit of guidance from Justin of course :wink: ). Doubt will crop up from time to time and that’s where this Community comes into it’s own. All the best with your journey!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Sam

1 Like

Hi Sam welcome to the community

You must be doing something right, kids are notorious for being honest :joy: enjoy your journey :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Sam and welcome.

I feel your story will be familiar to many round here, it certainly was to me, starting at a similar age and now making progress via Justin’s lessons 10+ years later - the only difference in my case was there was several aborted attempts in the in between years!

1 Like

Hi Sam, welcome to the community. The inevitable frustrations along the way just make the achievements even more satisfying. There’s plenty of help and encouragement to be found here if you need it.

1 Like

Hey Sam, welcome to the community, that’s awesome. I started similar to you and 10 years later have had people compliment me on my talent. I assure them it’s just passion for music and determination to learn, as you said, that got me where I am. I certainly have my moments of doubt but when I think back to where I was 15 years ago, I always smile at the progress.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the community Sam. :slight_smile:

I think we all have self-doubt from time to time, it’s just par for the course. When those time strike the best advice I can give is to play through it with songs you really enjoy playing.

1 Like

Hello Sam and welcome. Youre in the right place to have friendly chat and enjoy mutual support and encouragement from a whole range of budding guitarists, many like you.
:slight_smile:

Hi Sam and welcome! You’ve got passion and determination…you can do without “natural talent” :blush: Now just a little bit of it wouldn’t be bad for me, but as Justin once said “If it were easy anybody could play the guitar” :wink: Enjoy your journey :blush:

1 Like

Hi Sam nice to see a fellow from Oxfordshire around here! :grinning: hope you enjoy the learning process and you manage to learn something to play to your daughters :grin: all the best!

1 Like