Hello -Chris from Blackwood, Wales

Hello all. I’m Chris and I live in Blackwood, Wales, the home of the Manic Street Preachers
I’m 65 and last played a guitar some 50 years ago Why the hell would I want to learn the guitar now at my age?- That’s what my grandkids asked me.
Well I love all music genres and I still need a challenge in life, so bought myself a nice little Yamaha Acoustic and can’t put it down.They say you’re never too old to learn and I hope I’ll get many years to accomplish that. I’ve got time on my hands so why not use it productively doing something that I love?
Look forward to learning and talking to you all going forward

8 Likes

Hi Chris, always great to welcome another “Old Dog” to the Community.

Maybe you can clarify something I’ve always wondered: Are they the Street Preachers who are Manic, or are they the Preachers from Manic Street? :crazy_face:

1 Like

Yeah! Right on both counts :wink: :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

Welcome! I didn’t even begin playing until I was 67. Just have fun.

Hi Chris ,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

Welcome to the forum Chris

Welcome aboard, Chris!

Wish you loads of fun on your guitar journey! :smiley:

Cheers - Lisa

Welcome, Chris. I started at 64, last year. It’s loads of fun here.

Welcome Chris!

Enjoy and have fun here! You are not alone - i (and quite a number of players here) are “late starters” and enjoy playing and engaging here a lot.

Cheers,
Andreas

Welcome Chris,
Enjoy the ride always loads to learn and enjoy what ever the age you start :slight_smile:
A

Thanks

Thank you

1 Like

Let’s hope so. Thanks for the welcome

1 Like

Looking forward to it

thanks for the welcome:+1:

Hey Chris, your post is awesome! I started when I was in my early 50s and 10+ years later still thrilled with the progress. I’ve meet beginners who were 70 years old. Rock on!

Hi Chris. I stopped playing for 35 years and picked it up at about your age. Now 74. Justin was a great resource to get me back playing. Although not as dexterous as when young, I am a better player now than I was. Enjoy the journey and have fun.
By the way. The capo is a great tool for older hand that may get tired playing barre chords.
Cheers.

Hi Tony- thanks for the welcome. Seems I’m definitely not in a minority age group which is really inspiring in itself :+1:

1 Like

Hi Jim

Thanks for the advice. I must admit that had Justin been around teaching 50 years ago I would have stuck at it . I’m really looking forward to picking it up again and will look into getting a capo

Chris

Indeed. And also for adjusting the key of the song to suit our now aged and deeper voice!

I play barre chords quite well, yet there’s one song that has a LOT of Bm, and after a while my fretting hand gets weary so I usually play that one with a capo on the 2nd fret and finger the Am which thanks to the capo is really a Bm.