Hello -Chris from Blackwood, Wales

Hello all. I’m Chris and I live in Blackwood, Wales, the home of the Manic Street Preachers
I’m 65 and last played a guitar some 50 years ago Why the hell would I want to learn the guitar now at my age?- That’s what my grandkids asked me.
Well I love all music genres and I still need a challenge in life, so bought myself a nice little Yamaha Acoustic and can’t put it down.They say you’re never too old to learn and I hope I’ll get many years to accomplish that. I’ve got time on my hands so why not use it productively doing something that I love?
Look forward to learning and talking to you all going forward

10 Likes

Hi Chris, always great to welcome another “Old Dog” to the Community.

Maybe you can clarify something I’ve always wondered: Are they the Street Preachers who are Manic, or are they the Preachers from Manic Street? :crazy_face:

1 Like

Yeah! Right on both counts :wink: :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

Welcome! I didn’t even begin playing until I was 67. Just have fun.

Hi Chris ,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

Welcome to the forum Chris

Welcome aboard, Chris!

Wish you loads of fun on your guitar journey! :smiley:

Cheers - Lisa

Welcome, Chris. I started at 64, last year. It’s loads of fun here.

Welcome Chris!

Enjoy and have fun here! You are not alone - i (and quite a number of players here) are “late starters” and enjoy playing and engaging here a lot.

Cheers,
Andreas

Welcome Chris,
Enjoy the ride always loads to learn and enjoy what ever the age you start :slight_smile:
A

Thanks

Thank you

1 Like

Let’s hope so. Thanks for the welcome

1 Like

Looking forward to it

thanks for the welcome:+1:

Hey Chris, your post is awesome! I started when I was in my early 50s and 10+ years later still thrilled with the progress. I’ve meet beginners who were 70 years old. Rock on!

Hi Chris. I stopped playing for 35 years and picked it up at about your age. Now 74. Justin was a great resource to get me back playing. Although not as dexterous as when young, I am a better player now than I was. Enjoy the journey and have fun.
By the way. The capo is a great tool for older hand that may get tired playing barre chords.
Cheers.

Hi Tony- thanks for the welcome. Seems I’m definitely not in a minority age group which is really inspiring in itself :+1:

1 Like

Hi Jim

Thanks for the advice. I must admit that had Justin been around teaching 50 years ago I would have stuck at it . I’m really looking forward to picking it up again and will look into getting a capo

Chris

Indeed. And also for adjusting the key of the song to suit our now aged and deeper voice!

I play barre chords quite well, yet there’s one song that has a LOT of Bm, and after a while my fretting hand gets weary so I usually play that one with a capo on the 2nd fret and finger the Am which thanks to the capo is really a Bm.