Hello - Christina from Canada! Great to be here!

Hey Asher,
Thanks for the warm welcome! Yep, that’s my electric guitar in the pic - it’s a Fender Strat! :slight_smile:
And it’s also me in the pic as well! :slight_smile: I was playing Dani California by Red Hot Chili Peppers at the time.
Cheese has also gone up in price here in Ontario. Luckily it was a block purchased from Costco, so was a good deal for sure.
Happy to chat guitar stuff any time! :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Hopefully one might pop up. A friend of mine who works at a library in another city started a free musical instrument lending library based on the one I frequent, and so far it’s been a great success. A few local music stores donated guitars, and members of the community chipped in musical instruments they had kicking around at home to share with those who would enjoy them. Such a great idea!

Hey dobleA,
That’s excellent to hear the public library where you are has a musical instrument lending library. I hope more will be popping up over time, as they are an amazing way to allow so many people to explore and enjoy music. The one I am close to also has songbooks, and I am currently borrowing a 12-string Fender acoustic and Line 6 FM4 filter modeler effects pedal.

1 Like

Hello Christina and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

It sounds like you’re getting a nice collection of guitars there. The RHCP are a great group.

Welcome Christina,
I often wonder why Canada produces so many great guitarist. I discovered Callum Graham a couple of years back. Absolute genius.
So what’s your fave RHCP track??

Regards
David

Hi Christina and welcome! Glad to have you here. There are quite a few RHCP fans here, myself included. I have a strat as well and I love mine :guitar:

Hi David,
Hmmmm, my favourite RHCP track … that’s a difficult question! Right at this moment, I will have to say “Storm in a Teacup” - I love the funky riffs and super strong rock chorus! So fun to play!
My second is “Throw Away Your Television” as it makes really good use of my pedal board with all of the effects John uses! I was so fortunate to hear it played live in Toronto last August! I am borrowing a Line 6 MM4 Modulation Modeler which provides effects somewhat similar to the Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeler that John uses for the solo. First time I heard it I wondered what magic he was using to make those sounds! LOL!
I would be remiss not to mention Zephyr Song, Parallel Universe and Otherside. Too many songs to choose! :slight_smile:
Regards,
Christina

Hi Jennifer,
Nice to meet you, and great to be here! It’s wild, because my strat found me before I really got into RHCP in a big way. It’s a sunburst, very similar looking to John’s (albeit a lot less worn), and the synchronicity of that blew me away! Lol!
What is your favourite RHCP song to play?
Christina

1 Like

It looks great! My strat was my first guitar and I since have collected three others :laughing:

I enjoy playing Californication. It’s not my favorite RCHP to listen to, but it’s a lot of fun to play.

1 Like

Hi Christina, welcome to the community.

1 Like

Hi Christina,

Great selection there, for me all day would be Venice Queen. Loved for 20years that track including the American word …. Er ‘yawl’ at the end of certain lines :blush:. Being English it’s quite funny word.

Regs David

Niiice! Haven’t listened to Red Hot Chili Peppers in quite some time, but I remember liking some of their stuff back when I was a teenager… I should listen to them again sometime.

I must admit, I’m a bit jealous you look so cool playing your guitar. I hope I look half as cool when I finally get an electric, whenever that may be.(^-^)

That’s amazing! :laughing: I love it.

ETA: Sorry I apparently misseed the reply button. @__@; I need to remind myself that quoting people doesn’t automatically reply here like it did on older forums I’ve been on aha. orz

1 Like

Thanks so much! It’s funny, because whenever I try to take a cool-looking guitar picture it just doesn’t work out. (It’s like the vibe of trying too hard sneaks into the picture!) I was actually in the background of this pic, and didn’t realize it was being taken! LOL

RHCP just put out two albums in 2022: Unlimited Love, and Return of the Dream Canteen, both with Guitar God John Frusciante! I haven’t gotten into the new albums much yet - I’m still drawn to their earlier stuff I heard when I was in my teens. Right now I’m listening to John’s solo stuff, and also practicing RHCP’s Road Trippin’ to hopefully play it at a co-worker’s retirement party as that’s her favourite song! :slight_smile:

Christina

1 Like

Hi David,

Yes, definitely love Venice Queen as well! It’s so hard to pick just a few favourite RHCP tracks. I also find my favourites change day-to-day, depending on what’s going on.

People in the area of Ontario I live in don’t tend to use the word “yawl” / “ya’ll”, so hearing it in Venice Queen sounds funny to me too!

Having Venice Queen placed at the end of the By The Way album just seems so right. :slight_smile:

Christina

Thanks so much! It’s so great to be here. :slight_smile:

Christina

I’m the same when it comes to photos! :laughing: Candid shots usually turn out better!

I hope learning the song is going well!

Honestly, I’ve been procrastinating and not making huge progress! Lol! I used to play everyday, and now it’s a few times a week. I am also thinking that I have lots of time before November, so I’m not feeling like there’s a rush. Do you have any tips for keeping a regular daily practice routine?

1 Like

Hello Christina and welcome!

Thanks Edward! I’m enjoying being part of the community.

Christina

I'm sorry this tips bit ended up so long!

I’m probably the last person to ask about consistency in practise. :laughing: I either do it or I don’t, and find it difficult keeping to a schedule if I plan one out in advance. So, for me it’s less about planning practise every day and more about “these are the things I want to practise” and blocking them out so they’re easy to see or remember when I pick up something to practise (whether that’s guitar or drawing or anything else, really). But I’m a visual person and I know this doesn’t work for everybody. (I’ve also smashed my old practise routine recently to build one anew, so I’m clearly not an expert at getting it right the first time around! Though I would question how often that’s possible with things like this.)

So yeah: Block out what you want to learn, keep excited about it, and the rest will follow? That’s kind of what works for me. And keeping things easy to access. (Art tutorials on my computer don’t help me much if I don’t have them in an easily accessible folder or bookmark, for example―and that goes for guitar lessons as well, come to think of it. When in doubt keep things on a wall to see easily.) And remind yourself of your goals to get through the grinding drudgery when excitement itself just won’t do it.

As for motivation to keep it up… Having my goals and what I want to practise on a wall I see frequently can help with that. Another trick that’s worked for me was having a small folder with my goals written on post-it notes inside that I could move from one side to the other when I had achieved them, and keeping that folder easily to hand because seeing it would motivate me to do more. I’m also a person who does well with buddy cues to practise something, like my little black sheep doll my sister made for me that I consider my writing buddy, or my Link amiibo I used for writing fantasy stuff before that (could also be a hat you wear, or an album you have out, etc.). Basically anything to get the activity front-and-centre in your vision whenever you pass it. So those could be things to consider as well?

This is basically the process I use in list form
  • Block out what you want to learn
    ―What are your goals? What are you wanting to learn? Why are these things going to help you achieve your goals?
  • Make sure your goals or practise excites you
  • Keep these things accessible (e.g. on a wall, in a folder by your practise space)
  • Keep looking at them―this may motivate you to practise more!
  • If this doesn’t work, re-evaluate your goals and practise needed to get to there
  • Fit practise into any little space you can (lack of excitement, grinding and accessibility issues may necessitate creative planning to get this done)

Bonus: Have a visual cue for the thing (plushie, doll, poster, album, hat, scarf, etc.―whatever works to get that urge going to practise!)

My problem is I have so many activities I relate to and flit between. Connor DeWolfe calls it following the dopamine. Learning some self-restraint to avoid burnout has been a big thing in my life, but I’m getting better at managing things still. If your body and mental state aren’t as easily thrown out of whack as mine are you’ll probably have an easier time with things. :smiley:

I hope the practise picks up for you. :smiley: I’ve got some guitar practise I’ve been procrastinating as well―I’m having a terrible time keeping up practising with my picks because my guitar sounds terrible being played with them right now. Sucks extra because it’s not exactly something I can fix without just buying new strings. But them’s the breaks. (;v;)

2 Likes