Hello Everyone from Norfolk UK

Hello Everyone, I’m Malcolm and I picked up a guitar for the first time just over 2 years ago at the age of 55 having held a long term ambition to learn to play but never getting around to it, (Better late than never eh?)

A friend of mine has been teaching me over zoom and I started out supplementing these lessons by following Justin’s beginner course although these days I tend to use the site to search for specific lessons and tutorials for songs that I am working on.

Although I also have a small parlour sized acoustic guitar, I am mainly an electric player. I have a Squier Strat which I play through a Vox Vt20x modelling amp. My favourite Genre to play is Rock music from the 60’s - 90’s, although I have recently been trying to tackle Sex on fire by The Kings of Leon from the noughties.

I registered for this community a while ago, but I have only just got around to saying “Hello”, and I hope to be more active on here from now on.

7 Likes

Hey Malcolm, welcome to the community. I started playing at the age of 53 some 10 years ago and it’s been the dream of a lifetime come true. Look forward to more posts from you. I’ve got a 95 year old parlor guitar that sounds just great for the blues.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, Malcolm. It’s never too late to learn to rock n roll.

I would encourage you to work through grades 1 & 2, mosule by module, lesson by lesson. Juatin is one of the most highly regarded teachers and has recently revamped those grades. It will help lay the solid foundation to play the music you want to play.

You’ll probably find that you work through some lessons faster than others based on other learning.

Look forward to seeing you around here.

1 Like

Hello Malcolm and welcome. :slight_smile:

That is a great song. I hope you share it in AVOYP once you have it down.

1 Like

Hi Malcolm and welcome.
Never to late to start, as you’re never too old to rock and roll.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Malcolm, welcome, I’ve been using Justin’s course for just over a year but have only just started getting involved in the community. I can say that everyone is super supportive and welcoming. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

1 Like

Welcome @laser_171825

Looking forward to your Kings of Leon cover someday :grin:

1 Like

Hi Malcolm
Thanks for your welcome on my introduction so here is a reciprocal welcome! Sounds like we have the same tastes 60s - 90s mainly. I have not tried to play Sex on fire, but have heard it many times in pub gigs so it is obviously a crowd pleaser - good luck with it.
Cheers
Andrew

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome messages everyone. Here’s just a bit more on my guitar journey so far.

Having enjoyed listening to rock music, electric guitar in particular, for many years and thinking " I wish I could play" I finally decided to do something about it at the beginning of 2020. I have a friend who plays in a band and teaches guitar, but unfortunately he lives too far away to be able to give me face to face lessons. He has, however been giving me regular lessons over zoom since I started which is the next best thing, and it is good to be able to have somebody to give me feedback on my playing which, understandably, Justin is unable to do.

At the very beginning of my guitar “Journey” my friend / teacher recommended Justinguitar to supplement our zoom lessons, and thanks to both Justin and my teacher I seem to be making steady progress. I completed grade 1 of Justin’s beginner course and most of grade 2. I just haven’t done any of the song writing parts, most of the Blues module (apart from the 12 bar blues shuffle) or fingerstyle, preferring to concentrate on consolidating rock guitar techniques for now, but I will get around to those parts that I have missed out in due course ( maybe not the song writing though)

Finally, I have had some requests in the comments to post a video of myself playing “Sex on Fire” once I have it down. I have recorded many video’s of myself playing since I started so maybe I will share some of them here in due course. It would appear that most of you are uploading your video’s to Youtube, something I haven’t done with my video’s for fear of falling foul of copyright laws. Clearly that’s not as much of an issue as I thought!!

Anyway, that’s all for now. I look forward to getting to know you all, and the site better.

2 Likes