Hello everyone, I'm Alison, determined to learn this time

Welcome aboard Alison

I’m a little like you in that I have been fooling around with guitars for a long time.

I first learned to play over 50 years ago - A friend of mine taught me the basics and I bought a 12-string acoustic from another friend. I played off & on (mostly off) for a few years and then let it go for several more. Now that I’m retired I bought myself something that I’ve always wanted - a Fender Strat and have decided to get back in the game and see if I can finally master the damn thing (ha,ha).

I wish you luck.

1 Like

Hi Radagast99
Despite my determination I’m already getting disheartened AGAIN!!!
I just don’t seem to be getting any better and I’m getting very frustrated, the only thing in my favour is although I’m disheartened, frustrated and disappointed in myself, I am still picking up my guitar for at least 10 minutes every day. I’ve got to improve eventually, Right?? :blush:

1 Like

Hey Alison,

Yep, pickin it up every day will continue to build the momentum. Just keep pickin it up on the days that you eat :wink:
Re the frustration, disappointment etc - just hang in there. Its just a normal part of learning and playing guitar ( and life) - a necessity really. Otherwise, how would we know what joy and success felt like?
And you’re going to experience alot of success and joy if you keep at it.
Continue to reach out here anytime. Terrific community here. All the best.

Cheers,
Shane

2 Likes

Keep doing that.
And ask whenever you feel you need any guidance or support or encouragement.
Stay with it we have all had early setbacks - you are not alone.

1 Like

Thanks
Can you give me any advice on getting my fingers to stretch more ?

1 Like

Of course …

I hope that helps.

Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

Hang in there kiddo,

Hope you had enjoyable holidays.
You’re on the right track. Don’t despair, if you keep at it you will eventually master the damn thing.

I coached kids’ basketball for several years and used to tell the kids that the reason we practice is so that we don’t have to think about it when we’re in the game. And I would always ask them “What is the object of playing a game?” And invariably they would answer “To win.” I would tell them “No, the object for our team is to play the next game better than we played the last one.”

After being away from it for so many years the thing that I discovered was not how much I had forgotten but much I had changed physically, especially in the fingers of my fretting hand. The most often repeated phrase of old people is “I used to be able to do that.” I’m now 75 so you’re almost a young 'un compared to me. I find that I spend a lot of time trying to find ‘work-arounds’ for things that I used to be able to do relatively easily. Eventually, I will find enuff solutions to be able to come out of the closet again. I have been working on mastering Blues Traveler’s Run Around. I find it’s a good number to practice cord changes with. Only 4 cords - G, C, Am, D continually repeated throughout the number with no changes in order, tempo or strum pattern. But, to be played correctly the tempo, hence the changes are relatively fast.

I ‘THINK’ I’m almost there and if I played every day, I probably would be. HA!

Keep me posted on your progress.

Much luck

Jeff

2 Likes

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

I hear ya Jeff,
in my younger days I did martial arts and I was so flexible leaping around the do jang floor effortlessly. Now it’s an effort to get out of bed in a morning with every bone and muscle aching and creaking.
Oh what we took for granted in our youth :blush: but the one thing I still have is determination, or maybe I have just become more stubborn with age, but whichever it is I’ve proved I can do it by still picking up my guitar every day plus this time I have support from Justin and you guys
Thank you so much for all your help and advice and the day I can play something that sounds remotely like it’s supposed to I will post it :+1:

Alison

2 Likes

Hi Alison, greetings from another 60 year old with lots of gear & not lots of guitar know-how!

I see you wrote this:

My question to you is this… when you started martial arts, how good were you? How flexible? Did you get out there on day one & kick a** or was there a lots of work, frustration and some disappointment involved? On the other hand, when your hard work & exertion started to pay off, weren’t the associated highs so great?

Playing guitar is one of the hardest things I have ever tried… probably why I’m still in the beginner + phase of my journey. But, finding what makes it fun (it feels so good to play something & have it sound good) and joyful are the times that something clicks & you know you’ve got this!

Just like anything else that requires time and patience, it will come, just give it time & keep plucking away till those “Aha” moments start to build up!
A lot of people here advocate making videos of yourself- just for you - and watch yourself trying to get that D chord for example several weeks later… or watch Nitsuj struggling with what will eventually be easy for him! You’re going to be amazed at your progress, even if things aren’t perfect yet!

Good luck to you!

Tod

1 Like

Hi Alison, don’t rush things, accept you will make progress slowly, and enjoy the journey, don’t beat yourself up. We all struggle with this instrument from time to time, we are all in the same boat. Take your time, and enjoy!

Hey Alison, welcome to the forum. I wish you all the best and yes you will do it this time around. I also tried before and walked away. Lotsa great folks here and great info. Good luck on your journey!