Hello from Carl. I'm starting all over again after 7 years

7 years ago I played my first live gig and then life got in the way and I had to sell all my guitar equipment. This year I bought a guitar from a local luthier who is a friend and watched me play all those years ago. I also grabbed a used pedal and practice amp, and now have sore fingers again. I’m really excited about getting stuck in again and hope to be able to get to a standard where I can play live again.

The gig was at a local pub and one of the songs we played was especially for the singer/keyboard player’s partner. (Not Ready To Make Nice - Dixie Chicks). The evening was a blast and I hope to do it again. There’s nothing like that feeling of playing in front of a live audience.

At the moment I’m back at the beginner stage, but am finding that my brain and fingers are remembering more with each practice session. I think it will take at least a year, probably more, to reach a standard where I’ll be happy. This time I want to push myself harder and become a lot better than when I played the gig :wink:

Sorry about the grainy picture, but it was taken with a cell phone by a member of the audience.

14 Likes

Hi Carl,
Played 7 years ago in a live setting?, well that won’t take a year to get back to that level…not even close to a year,…
Have fun,… :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hey Carl, welcome to the community. I’m sure you’ll be back to your former best in no time at all. My best friend from my late teens and early 20s was a Hackman. He was taken far too early. And still missed on a regular basis. Look forward to hearing more from you.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about your best friend, I hope you have some great memories to hold onto. I’m looking forward to the journey and fighting through soft fingers. I want to be able to play ‘The Loner’ by Gary Moore again. He was a huge reason I took up the guitar in the first place. He is a great loss to music. I’m 61 now so have nothing but time and can practice whenever I please. This site is really good for laying out a practice routine and watching Justin’s videos. I even went back to module one to make sure I don’t rush and pick up bad habits that would be difficult to get rid of later. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Roger. I’m going to take it steady and enjoy the journey. It’s so great to feel a guitar in my hands again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello Carl and welcome to the community, it’s great to hear that you’ve restarted your guitar journey - happy days ahead and looking forward to the day when you play “The Loner” :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you, started work on the first few bars, just need to get the 6/8 time nailed so I can get the rhythm down before I even look at the faster parts down the road (months of work ahead there I think) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Indeed. I still remember the day he died. Taken too soon. What a great song to have as your goal.

2 Likes

I’m sure you’ll be finding your old groove and more in no time by the sounds of your enthusiasm. I took long hiatus’ on my journey as well and at first its very oddly familiar and difficult to get your hands and fingers to do what your mind is willing them. A little patience and persistence goes a long way to restoring calluses and all the good that goes with them.

2 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Carl Hackman Learning Log

Welcome aboard, Carl.
It’s so cool to see folks’ unbridled enthusiasm on (re)discovering guitar and music in general :smiley:
Good on you for going back and starting from the beginning again, but you are going to be flying way past wherever you were in no time.
Enjoy the journey and don’t forget to send musical postcards… :smiley:

I hope you’re talking music here :wink:

3 Likes

Hello Carl and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Carl and welcome to the community.
I too gave up playing in a live band some years ago.
My oh my, things do get rusty in no time. Kudos and good vibes to you on going back to learn it all over again.
If you previously played Gary Moore you were clearly no slouch back then. It’ll all come good for you soon, I’m sure.
Cheers
Richard :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, Richard. I could never play a full Gary Moore song, but I could get quite a way into it before it got too fast. I’ve also been watching and listening to Joe Bonamassa a lot, so as you can see, blues rock is where my musical mind settles. My goal this time is to learn more rhythm as well as try to get over that speed hump. Being stuck over here I’ve still got to rely on self teaching. I have all the tools I need (I think), but that extra speed has always been my nemesis LOL.

1 Like

Carl, Welcome to the community. Since you have the time to practice and are having fun, I know you will make a lot of progress.

2 Likes

Hi Carl, welcome to the community. Yes, take advantage of all the lessons to fill any voids you may have in your guitar skills. Because the way you learnt before, you may excel in some aspects but could probably lack fluency with others. The advantage is that you look to be aware of your shortcomings; therefore, it can be easier to device a plan to improve on those. If you find it convenient there is a subsection here called learning logs where you can create a topic for your personal log of progress or lack of it, gear and other stuff related to your learning. The dynamic of that subsection is somewhat different than this one, but your log will be read and encouragement and advice will be provided as needed.

P.S. You may include in the learning log a link to this “Introduce Yourself” topic.

3 Likes

Hi Carl, welcome back to guitaring. Wow sounds like you had a lot of fun. You’ll soon drop back in I’m sure. Have fun.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m going to keep plugging away at it this time. I’m determined to be better than I was the last time life got in the way :wink: