Hello from Chicago! Nicholas here

Hello Justin Guitar community!

My name is Nicholas and am 25 years old. I’ve been playing guitar now for about 9 months ever since I got out of the Military. I did 5 years in the Navy, and decided that learning to play a few instruments was a great pass time.

With guitar I soon realized that there are an insane amount of things to learn. I have loved every minute of it and actually started to play with people every week jamming! I hope here Justin Guitar can bring me to another level of playing. So far I’m not really sure what level I’m at, but I figure I know quite a few songs at this point.

Some of my inspirations include legendary players like Tommy Emmanuel, David Gilmore, Johnny Greenwood, and B.B. King. I want to become a well versed player and hope that I meet some cool people in the process!

3 Likes

Hey Nicholas,

Welcome mate! Good to see you here.
You’re in the perfect place if you want to progress on the guitar. Justin’s a tremendous teacher, and the community here is full of great folk of all levels, all helpin each other out.
I’d suggest you start at Grade 1, and work your way through. You’ll obviously know a bit already, so can breeze through some of the early lessons, but it’ll fill in any gaps and give you a solid foundation moving forward.
Lookin forward to your progress, and posting a video of you playin a tune when you’re ready.

All the best
Cheers, Shane.

1 Like

Hey Nicholas, welcome to the community. Sounds like you’ve made a great start. It’s been fun the amazing people I’ve met that I wouldn’t have thanks to playing music. Keep at it!

1 Like

Good to meet you! While I live in Minnesota now, I’m originally from the Chicago area (grew up in LaGrange, lived in Wheaton and worked in Naperville). One thing I really miss is the access to all the blues clubs. Some really great blues guitarists playing in multiple clubs every night.

So far it seems like I am getting into intermediate but yea I see that there are a few beginner things I need to work on. I can play some things like Dust in the Wind with trouble and Romanza (Spanish Romance). I got songs like Karma Police and Black Bird down pat, and find a lot of CAGED bar chords mostly easy. I have a few goals in mind and Greensleeves here in the modules is actually a piece I really want to learn! Also. I really have trouble with some muting techniques so I’ll also be looking at those in some of these lessons.

I need to find some! I love the music scene out here and hope I can find some on a facebook page or something…

Welcome to the Community, Nicholas. As @sclay said, I’d recommend a review of the grades from the start to ensure all the foundations are solid. And it sounds like you are ready to share some music in #record-yourself-progress-performance:audio-video-of-you-playing. Just a simple phone recorded video is all that is needed.

https://foursquare.com/top-places/chicago/best-places-blues-music

Welcome to the community and good luck with playing. Thanks for your service. We have a lot of navy people here in San Diego. I was in the Air Force myself. Playing guitar is a great choice to find your artistic ability. Take it one day at a time and don’t give up. Have a great day- go Cubs!

Jeff

Definitely record your progress and get feedback. My performances are still a work in progress but I love to hear some honest feed. Good call!

Hello Nicholas and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

There sure is plenty of things to learn.

Hi Nicolas and welcome!
You’ve come to the right place! :smiley:

Hi Nicholas, welcome. A quick review of all the lessons from the beginning could be good. If you already know something you can move to the next lesson but meanwhile you are receiving a lot of information that can complement what you already know.

Hi Nicholas and welcome to the community.
Make yourself at home.
:slight_smile: