Hello from Columbus, Ohio

My name is Jeff and I’m originally from Columbus, Ohio (currently living in Granville, Ohio). I’m 49 years old and bought my Strat in 1998. So, I’m not really a new guitarist. But I’m totally self-taught. There was about a 10 year period where I didn’t play much as I was busy being daddy to a young boy. A few years ago, he finally showed some interest so I dusted everything off and picked back up where I left off.

Because I’m self-taught, I started to lament some bad habits I developed. I was progressing, but felt like I’d be held back by this stuff. I just never had anyone tell me what I was doing could be improved. For instance, I’d struggle with my picking speed all the while knowing that I shouldn’t be down-picking everything. :rofl: My timekeeping needed work.

So, I started along the Justin Guitar journey to “re-learn” the guitar from scratch. I haven’t necessarily needed to do all of the exercises but I have watched every lesson from start to finish. Even on topics I feel I know pretty well like open chords, there are little tidbits (like anchor fingers) that I’ve never explored. I’m forever grateful for this amazing experience.

I’m currently on module 13 and starting to slow down a bit and focus on some new things. Having a great time.

I’m a Phish fan. I thought I could jump right into learning Trey Anastasio leads. It was unrealistic and it was hard to see real progress. I just needed someone to bring me down to earth and teach me the right way. Thanks, Justin! I’m still not there but are we ever? Looking forward to this revised journey!

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum Jeff

1 Like

To play Phish, you are really going to need to play some stamina! I listen to Phish when camping, and I like their originals as well as their long covers.

1 Like

Hi Jeff, welcome to the community forum. I can relate to your story, especially wanting to play complex lead before you are ready. Have fun as you progress toward your goals.

1 Like

That’s true. It’s amazing how much alternate picking helps with that. :rofl:

Welcome, Jeff. I could play a third as well as Trey, I’d be quite happy!

1 Like

:wave: Welcome to the group Jeff

R.

1 Like

Welcome to the community! I’ve never been to Colombus but I visited Hocking hills state park a couple years ago and the nature and parks in that area are beautiful.

Good luck in your guitar journey!!

1 Like

Welcome from up in the Toledo area. I’ve used a lot of the lessons for similar retraining and fill in of skills I missed when learning on my own, and found it very useful. Enjoy picking up new skills and the company!

1 Like

Hi Jeff,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Good to meet you Jeff, welcome. Sounds like you’re having a lot of fun getting reacquainted and hope that continues!
:+1::guitar::heart:

1 Like

Hi Jeff,
Welcome,
There’s a whole big bunch of “returners” around here so you’re in good company!
Hope you have lots of fun with it!
Cheers,
Ruaridh

1 Like

Hello Jeff & welcome!!!
I’m an”Endless Beginner” who’s finally seeing some progress after years of “on again off again” with guitar… Justin will help you to understand more & to improve! My 14 year old grandson just started his Justin Guitar Journey a couple of months back… total beginner & he’s really picking it up fast! Your kid(s) might do well here also!!!
Good luck & relish the journey!!!

Tod

1 Like

Welcome aboard, Jeff! :slight_smile:

Glad you joined us, you’re in good company here with lots of other “restarters”. :smiley:

Wish you loads of fun on your guitar journey.

Cheers - Lisa

1 Like

Love Hocking Hills! Small world. Glad you enjoyed it!

1 Like

Small world. :metal:

Hey Jeff, welcome to the forum, great to hear you are finding your mojo here. Look forward to hearing more from you.

1 Like