Hello from East Sussex, UK

Hello from Larry in Seaford, East Sussex, UK.

I’ve been learning from Justin’s website for several years and was surprised, when I looked at my profile, to see how long I’d been following the posts on this community. I’ve also signed up for the Vintage Club #11 and thought, therefore, it was time to say hello.

Like many, I’ve had a guitar since my teens but never really got around to learning how to play. About 4 or 5 years ago, after wandering into a local guitar store, I somehow found myself the owner of a new Tanglewood acoustic. This prompted me to start looking at online guitar tuition sites. After a few disappointing trials, I discovered Justin’s site. I’m 66 years old and retired, so I am in the fortunate position of having time to try and improve my guitar playing. I’m not very good at following a fixed route through the course - too easily distracted by songs I hear on the radio, or new lessons posted by Justin, so am not really sure which level I am at. Probably between grades 3 and 4. I tend to find something I’m stuck on and then find a lesson that helps. I’m only learning and playing for my own enjoyment, with no intention of performing, so am quite content to wander through the courses.

I play both acoustic and electric guitar and enjoy a wide range of music - folk, americana, blues, rock, etc. Would like to be able to play like Richard Thompson, Neil Young or Rory Gallagher but, realistically, will be happy to strum a few songs competently.

The community seems a very welcoming and encouraging space with lots of helpful advice. The vintage club #11 tomorrow is the first of these club sessions I will have attended, but I have looked at some of the archives and resources and found them helpful. I’m sure the session on barre chords will prove equally useful.

11 Likes

Welcome to the Community, Larry. Love your choice of dream players!

Hello Larry, and a warm welcome to the community :hugs:.
Learning songs that you like, is exactly what this journey is for :slightly_smiling_face:.
I wish you lots of fun with your six-string-friends :smiley:.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Larry

Welcome, Larry. I’ll be joining the Vintage club #11 tomorrow, too. Hoping to learn a little more than the F chord. Seems a lot of the songs I want to play need the Bm.

Hi Larry,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

Hi Larry
Welcome and nice to meet you :smiling_face: :sunflower:

Welcome Larry! So long as you’re playing an and having fun is all that matters :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great stuff, welcome to the community

Welcome, this place is fantastic, very supportive

Welcome Larry, enjoy your time here.

Hi Larry, Welcome to the community good luck with your journey enjoy. :guitar:

I spent many a summer holiday in Seaford when I was little enjoy :+1:

Thank you to everyone who has welcomed me to the community, confirming what I said in my original post about it being ‘a very welcoming and encouraging space’.

Hi Larry, welcome to the community. Like others have said, if you are having fun playing guitar, that is what is important.

Welcome to the forum Larry.
:sunglasses:

Welcome, Larry, plenty for you to learn from JG and to lean on in the JG Community.
Book yourself a seat at a JGC live online OM evening sometime. They’re usually around every 6wks on a Saturday: next one is 25th May.