Hello from Franz!

Hi everyone!

I started with Justin Guitar lessons a couple of months ago and wanted to finally introduce myself. I’m 50+ years old and I always loved music, especially guitar music. So far I never really got in touch with an instrument properly. Initially, I was very skeptical that I could learn to play guitar. I’m so glad I gave it a try, but also, that I found JustinGuitar.

What I like most is that the course is so well structured and this makes it easy to follow. What I also find really useful is that the course had specific exercises for each module, I really need such an action plan, and it gives me confidence. But on the other hand, those exercises time-wise are “Just enough” :wink: so this then leaves time to play songs.

My dream goal is at one day to be able to improvise to songs… I’m however not sure if I ever will be able to reach this. It will be a long way for me for sure. Nevertheless, I anyway started Justin’s theory course to support this goal - but tough stuff for me I have to say :wink:

My “backup” goal is to be confident with strumming along songs that I enjoy. And well, I would say, I’m on a good way. Meanwhile learned enough chords to pick lot’s of songs I can practice. I still cannot believe it that I already can play along to some songs, it makes me very happy. I’m using the app - it’s fun and very handy, e.g. the metronome function!

I’m not expecting fast progress. I actually wished my abilities could stay more in balance with my enthusiasm :grinning: But the advantage of being a bit older is that that I’m a lot more patient than in my younger years. I’m confident that regular practice will help. And it has so far. My goal is to enjoy the journey, and I want to make the most out of it. I have now finished Grade 1, but I decided to keep practicing before moving on to the next grade.

I’m btw playing an acoustic guitar. I chose dreadnought size for ergonomics and sound volume. Plays really well, sounds fascinating, and also looks great, an additional motivating factor :smiley:

See you around :wave: :smiley:

Franz

14 Likes

Hi Franz, welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

As long as you are enjoying your learning you are on the right track.

Have fun!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Franz

1 Like

Welcome, Franz!
The app is a great tool for playing along to songs and the lessons are a big plus. Don’t limit yourself to just the app. Justin’s website has the lessons and a lot more. As you have found with this community. :grinning:

1 Like

Servus Franz, und herzlich willkommen :hugs:.
I’m from Austria (close to Vienna) and do know Nürnberg a little bit. It’s got such a beautiful old town :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

This is also my strategy. I granted me lots of consolidation time before moving on to grade 2. And I’m still moving forward with baby steps :slightly_smiling_face:.

I wish you lots of fun along your guitar journey and look forward to hearing more from you :smiley:.

1 Like

Hello Franz… Welcome to the community!!

1 Like

Hello Franz, welcome to the community. Both of my parents were from Germany. Look forward to hearing more from you.

1 Like

Welcome to the community Franz!

Sounds like you’ve made a solid start, and are well on your way. Keep sticking close to Justin’s tuition, and join in the community here. It can have a real positive influence on your guitar journey.

Re your improv goals. Keep pluggin away; you may be very surprised at where you may be after 12 months.

All the best.
Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Servus Franz! I’m from Germany too, welcome and nice to have you here! Have a lot of fun with your guitar!

1 Like

Hehe, indeed, glad that I’ve finally discovered the community :smiley:

1 Like

Oh, awesome, then we are neighbours, almost :grinning:

It is. We live just outside the inner city centre, and have lots of historical buildings nearby.
As an example, here’s a view from our kitchen window:

Thank you, I’ll try to do my very best :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks everybody for your welcoming words!

Thank you for the encouragement Shane. I’ll enter an entry into my calender in 12 months from now to remind me checking my status :grinning:

3 Likes

Welcome, Franz!

1 Like

Hi Franz and welcome! :wave::smiley:
What a great intro and really like your approach, I’m sure you’ll achieve your goals and more :guitar::sunglasses:
Plus beautiful view from your kitchen! :city_sunrise:
All the best with your journey :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

Welcome Franz :slight_smile:

With improvising, I think it often seems mysterious and unattainable from a distance – like you need to be a musical prodigy to pull it off. That’s how it seemed to me anyhow.

But you absolutely can learn to do it, even as a beginner guitarist. You only need to learn a few scale shapes and put in some time to be able to fret and pick out strings. Then, you just queue up a backing track in the key you want, and randomly hit notes in the scale until you stumble onto something that sounds good. Keep playing the things that sound good. Find a few little phrases or riffs you like and keep exploring. Chain those little ideas together. That’s it!

It’s totally achievable. If a musical dunce like me can do it, you can too!

3 Likes

Hi Franz
Welcome! Nice to meet you :smiling_face:
Sounds like you have a great plan for reaching your goals!
Glad you’ve found the Community too! :smiley:
Have fun!

1 Like

Welcome to the over 50s club Franz :slightly_smiling_face:. Enjoy the journey.

Cate

1 Like

Hi Franz,
Welcome and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Sounds interesting and promising. Maybe there will be a way even for me :slightly_smiling_face: But for now, let me get back to the basics, currently I’m at improving the C-chord :grimacing: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

That’s what I’m working on, too. Fun, isn’t it? :joy:

2 Likes