Hello from Georgina in Essex, UK - introduction, my guitar journey etc

Hi, I’m Georgina from Essex. I decided I wanted to learn to play guitar when I was about 30. I started with classical as an absolute beginner and after 4 years and passing my grades 3 and 4 classical wasn’t for me. I wanted to play more blues/rock/contemporary music. I had some private lessons, attended local evening classes and took an intermediate guitar course at The Guitar Institute, London. I didn’t have anyone to play with and became a bit disillusioned as I was going round in circles and not progressing so the guitars went into the loft for 30 years! Then, during lockdown, I found the fantastic guitarist Justin Johnson on YouTube. He fired my enthusiasm again; the guitars came out of the loft and I found Justin Guitar. I have started at the beginning of Justin’s lessons to relearn/refresh what I learnt all those years ago and then to progress on, but I do get a bit sidetracked. I also persuaded my husband that it would be good if he learnt bass guitar to accompany/jam with me! So he now follows his own on-line lessons.

14 Likes

Welcome back to the guitar Georgina and have fun relearning. My wife used to play base guitar in her teens so maybe I can persuade her to give it another shot :roll_eyes:.
Some great people on here with a wealth of knowledge to share and to help you on the way.

3 Likes

Hey Georgina, welcome to the forum. It’s great that you can share your new found passion for guitar with your husband. i started playing 10 years ago at the age of 53 after dreaming about it for much of my adult life. And it’s consumed me in the nicest possible way. My wife has also joined in and learned to pay the ukulele and sings with me on some of my songs. It’s great to share it with loved ones. Look forward to hearing more from you.

3 Likes

Hi Georgina, welcome!! Sounds like you’ve got a nice lot of experience to pick up from, wish you all the best getting back into it. If you’re being sidetracked in terms of playing other things than you “should” then hey, it’s all playing isn’t it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks all for your warm welcome.

2 Likes

Hi Georgina from Essex !

Mr Johnson should be enough to relight anyone’s fire, even after that long a hiatus ! Always a good channel to visit. You are doing the right thing, going back to the beginning with Justin and working through the Grades. I am sure a lot will come flooding back but you are bound to learn a few new things and check out any bad habits you may have picked up in the past. Also make use of folk here. There is a vast range of experience from those just starting to those who have been playing decades. So there is always someone who will be able to answer any questions you have or offer advice.

Best of all just enjoy the ride.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hello Georgina and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

Glad to read something reignited your guitar interest. Also, very cool having hubby to jam with.

3 Likes

Welcome Georgina, glad you found your guitar mojo again. Jamming with your husband should be good fun.

3 Likes

Hello Georgina, and a warm Welcome to the community :hugs:. What a fantastic decision to dedust your guitar and restart the journey :smiley:.
I’m looking forward to hearing more from you and wish you lots of fun :grinning:.

2 Likes

Welcome Georgina. Awesome your going to have a jam buddy!

3 Likes

Hi Georgina! Glad that you found Justin and that he has reignited your passion for guitar after all these years. And that your husband has decided to learn bass, that’s fantastic. Welcome!

2 Likes

Hello Georgina and welcome to the community. Kudos and good vibes to you for retrieving and loving your guitar plus having the determination to assign yourself as a novice and go right back to learning from the start. That is a good call and I am sure it will pay off for you. It sounds like you have a good thing going if you and your husband can make music together too!
Enjoy.
If you need anything or help, support and guidance then just ask.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

1 Like