Hello from Gertjan, a new member in Ghent, Belgium

Hey all!

New member here :slight_smile:

I used to play guitar as a teenager (for only 1.5 year or so, and I was pretty horrible. All I cared about was playing metal songs without proper guidance and I failed badly because of lack of patience) but quit due to time constraints once uni started.

Fast forward 14 years of not touching my guitar, and here I am again.

I decided to start my guitar journey from fresh around the end of september, and used Justin Guitar to it’s fullest this time.

Progress has been going pretty well, and I’ve been taking my time this time around to make sure I am doing everything correctly.

Metal still is my favorite genre, but I made a promise to myself to not even touch the distortion until Justin’s lessons ask for it. I’m eager for that moment, but I’m also appreciating clean guitar tones and songs more than I ever did after these past few months so that is a nice added bonus.

I’m currently on the consolidation phase of grade 1, and will start posting videos and my learning log sometime next week (I ordered a MIM Fender Telecaster and Yamaha THR II as a christmas / end of grade 1 gift to myself and want to use those for my first song videos).

I look forward to seeing and hearing more from you all soon!

7 Likes

Hi Gertjan,
Welcome ,and good to read that you work in a structured way with the lessons, … I wish you a lot of fun and a fantastic learning curve :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hi Gertjan,

Welcome to this awesome community from a fellow member. Looking forward to see your recordings.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Gertjan

2 Likes

Hello Gertjan, so nice to have you here. Please feel very welcome :hugs:.
I’m certain, with Justins course and this wonderful community, you’ll reach your goals this time.
I’m looking forward to your first AVOYP :smiley:.

2 Likes

Hey Gertjan, welcome to the community. I’ve got a thr10, I’m sure you’ll enjoy yours. Look forward to hearing more from you.

2 Likes

Welcome Gertjan

:smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Hi Gertjan
Welcome!
there’s lots of fellow returners here
I hope you have a real blast following the lessons. they are truly brilliant
All the best
Ruaridh

2 Likes

Goed bezig :slight_smile:
Groeten uit Leuven!

2 Likes

Welcome Gertjan! I spent several lovely days in Ghent a few years ago, before (re)starting my guitar journey. Do you recognize this location? :grinning:
Judi

1 Like

Hi Gertjan, great to have another metalhead on the forum!! :metal:
All the best with your journey, looking forward to hearing some of that distortion soon!! :wink:

2 Likes

Yes I do :wink: It’s the roof of the city hall if I’m not mistaking?

1 Like

Yes! As you know, as one walks underneath, the light can be spectacular! Absolutely amazing, especially in contrast to all the old, historic architecture. I wonder if it’s a good location for busking? (Keeping the guitar theme going :joy: ).

1 Like

Im not sure if it’s allowed there, but there are a few places nearby where you can often find buskers :wink:

1 Like

Hello and welcome, my story is similar to yours in many respects, especially the lack of proper guidance in my teens…now it’s 2 years I’m re-learning with justinguitar and it’s a wonderful journey! Wish you a lot of fun! :blush:

1 Like

Hello Gertjan and welcome to JustinGuitar and the community.
I wish you the very best of luck - you have chosen the right, the best way to approach your learning. That is, being prepared to go back to the beginning and start everything from nothing, then build up steadily with solid foundations.
It’s great that your ears are telling you they enjoy sounds other than your normally preferred genre of loud rock music. That is one thing about guitar music and learning songs, we expose ourselves to good music in all its forms and some of it surprises us in a good way.
If you need anything just ask.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

Hello and welcome to our community Gertjan. :slight_smile:

Slowly, slowly catch a monkey as they say. Just remember once you get to where your pedal is required not to get stuck there. :smiley:

1 Like

Hello Gertjan and welcome to the community, I wish you many happy hours of learning :smiley:

Hey that’s a great idea I could see that taking off :guitar: :guitar: we’ll need pictures of course :star_struck:

1 Like

You can find a picture of both in my learning log :wink:

1 Like