Hello from Greg in Brisbane

Hi, I’m in my 50’s and have been playing regularly for 7 or 8 years. Before that I picked it up a few times but never stuck with it. Best thing for me was getting involved in a performance where I was in a band and we did half a dozen songs - scared me into practising regularly! It went so well they said they might even plug me in next time! I’ve been learning using online tutorials mostly, much of it from here at Justin Guitar. Looking forward to getting involved in this community. I posted my first video a week or two ago, my cover of Tom Petty’s Free Fallin’, and got some really useful feedback.

11 Likes

Hullo Greg from kiwi land

1 Like

Hey Greg, good to see another Aussie / Queenslander here. Few of us lurking around although I’ve moved a bit further south now in the Northern Rivers area.

There’s a very active folk/acoustic music scene in SE Queensland with a variety of venues and also weekend gatherings. The weekend gatherings are a short drive (mostly) where there’s a place to camp and to get together. Maidenwell, Mulgowie, Woodford all have gatherings twice a year each. There’s typically either no cost, or very little cost and each gathering tends to get around 50 or so people.

I’m also quite involved with the Coast Acoustics club on the Gold Coast. We have regular jams, open mics and camping weekends.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

2 Likes

Hi Greg, fellow Brissy and 50 something here. Loved the part about the band thinking you’re good enough to actually plug you in. You’ll have to give us a shout when next playing. Are you north side or south?

1 Like

Hi Greg,
Welcome ,I wish you a lot of fun and a lot of “glue” to stick with it now :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hi Greg, good to have you here, sounds like a pretty good motivation to practice to me, I’m quite envious!! :wink:
All the best with the continued learning!

1 Like

Hello Greg and welcome to the community.
Congratulations for posting a 1st AVOYP upload of you playing. :slight_smile:
If you need anything just ask.
Cheers
Richard

1 Like

Hello and welcome Greg. :slight_smile:

Saw your vid, it was really good.

Hi Greg, I’m also from Brisbane. Welcome.

2 Likes

Hiya Greg good to meet you. Welcome on board, enjoy the ride.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Greg

1 Like

Hello Greg, great to have you here :hugs:.
So it seems, if I were searching for a jamming partner, I’d ‘just’ have to come to Brisbane :smiley:.

1 Like

Welcome Greg. Sounds like you are well on your way.

1 Like

Hello!

1 Like

Thanks for that Tony those gatherings sound like a lot of fun. I like to play open mics as often as I can, so something like that would be fabulous.

Hi Benny I’m on the north side. Love getting out to open mics for example the Cardigan bar at Sandgate, Nonnas at Chermside, sometimes the Junk bar at Ashgrove and a few others. Sadly work is getting in the way at the moment so haven’t been for just a little while! How about you?

1 Like

Thank you!

Let me know when you’re here!

1 Like

On fb there’s a group: Folk Queensland Gatherings & Festival’s which posts details about the various gatherings, Shez Wright also runs a news letter by email, if you can’t find either of these, send me a message.

I’m also involved in the Coast Acoustics music club on the Gold Coast. We have a twice yearly camping weekend coming up in March, message me your email address if you want me to forward you the announcement with details of how to book it. It’s a great weekend with music and frivolity all at a great campsite.

2 Likes

Hey Greg, I’m originally a northsider (Albany Creek, Carseldine etc) many moons and a few countries back. I know all the suburbs well, just not the venues. So much changed after I got back from 10yrs O/S, including my age :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. Very similar likes in that I always loved outdoor pubs or venues with great music/live bands. Now on the Southside, Carindale way. Don’t really get out as much as I’d like anymore. Just working from home and attempting to become moderately competent enough with the guitar that I don’t have folks reaching for the earplugs

1 Like