Hello from Halifax, Nova Scotia

Hello,

I’m Jason and live in Halifax, NS in Canada. I started out as a kid, many years ago, but gave it up after about 2 years of not much progress. It wasn’t “fun” at the time. About 15 years ago I decided to give it another go, this time I got my basic chords kinda down, but gave it up again due to life and other interests taking priority. 2 years ago I picked it up yet again, thankfully I hadn’t sold my guitar, and gave it another go. Third times the charm, right? Anyway, this time it seems to have stuck.

I’m 53 now, I would say I’m an old dog trying to learn new tricks but my 8-year old son says that I’m not old until I turn 60. The wisdom of youth.

My dream is to get enough confidence to play in front of other people, and to sing. As a kid, and most of my life, I’ve been told that I couldn’t sing and wasn’t “musical”. I need to expunge those demons, and appreciate the support in doing so.

Cheers,
Jason

9 Likes

Hello Jason, and a warm welcome to the community :hugs:.

Maybe, you want to performe at an Community Open Mic some day soon. It’s a safe opportunity to make your first steps in this direction :smiling_face:.

I wish you lots of fun along your guitar journey :guitar::smiley:.

2 Likes

I started playing over a decade ago at the age of 53. Didn’t think I would sing as others said it was too hard. So my wife sang to the first tune I learned and after about 50 or so times of her doing that I started singing along quite by accident. It does take a bit of determination to get through esp the first month or two but now, for me, the rewards are so very worth it. Hang in there, make it a daily routine if at all possible and enjoy the progress. I’ve now done over 100 open mics and never imagined at the start that I would be on stage in front of others playing and singing and getting applause! Look forward to hearing more from you.

2 Likes

Hi Jason, welcome to the community forum. Have fun learning songs. Keep practicing and before long you will be playing in front of others. The singing will come with practice. Singing and playing guitar at the same time takes even more practice, but with time you will get there.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Jason

Hello Jason, welcome. I guess your son would deem me old then. lol Great Community and place to learn. Have fun.

Greetings Jason!

As it happens, I’m also in Halifax - West Bedford. There are a few of us here in NS - scattered across the province.

I know what it’s like to be discouraged from music early in life. I had a nasty aunt laugh at my singing when I was about 6 years old…and didn’t sing a note for something like 30 years. Fortunately, I got over it…and Justin and this group has been a big help with that.

When you are ready to perform in front of others, I highly, highly recommend a local song circle group called the Chord Sheet Jammers. My girlfriend and I joined a few months back, and it’s really taking our playing and singing up a notch.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/640479131303863/?ref=share

Very beginner friendly. Monthly meeting is this Sunday, as a matter of fact.

Hope to see you there some time!

1 Like

Oh, my oh my! This sounds familiar to me. Brother! I was told the same thing, I have come to realise that they were jealous because you are trying and are doing it. Are they?? Keep this one in mind I would say. And besides, your voice can be trained as well. Everyone’s can, it just takes practice and critical self assessment. Or help from an excellent community and students that are in the same boat! This is a good place to be!

I am also in N.S. But in Sheet Harbour area. Part of God’s country! :grinning:. I am also going to try and make it to the jam session @Tbushell has mentioned!!

Rock on!
Darren

1 Like

Welcome Jason. Hope you can fulfill your dream in the not to distant future. The community OM is a good place to start.

Welcome aboard, Jason! :smiley:

Wish you loads of fun and all the best for your third (and hopefully final) attempt at guitar and a long guitar journey. :slight_smile:

Cheers - Lisa

Hi Jason. Good luck with the charm of the third time!!! I’m starting at 60+! Officially old. I was having some fun with ham radio this morning and made contact with two stations in ON and one station in BC. I’m long-range planning for an October trip to Quebec! David

Hi Jason,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:. And start to record yourself quickly, which will greatly improve your guitar learning process, and if you are satisfied enough or are eager for advice, you can post the video…
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hi Jason, welcome. Good you picked up the guitar again. Don’t worry about age. Following a good guitar method, as Justin Guitar one is, and practicing regularly progress will come. Have fun.