Hello from Harry. I'm learning guitar at last, hoping music can be a tool to reclaim the childhood taken by abuse

Welcome Harry

2 Likes

Respect for still trying to learn the guitar.

2 Likes

Hi Harry,

Thanks for sharing your story and sending you a warm welcome here at Justin Guitar. You absolutely can succeed here starting at age 40. To that end, several of us started older than 40 and doing quite well. I suggest to take it one lesson at a time and you will see your progress. *f you record yourself and watch later you will see how much progress you make. Check out some of the videos here from myself and others who posted our progress in the record yourself and progress section. I have been doing Justin guitar for more than 2 years now and loving his method. You will succeed too and we all look forward to sharing in your journey and offering support.

Jeff from California.

2 Likes

Hello Harry and a very warm welcome to the Community! Thanks for sharing your story, I also restarted at 40 yo (2 years ago), with much self-doubt and the feeling of having lost my train when I was a teen. Learning guitar is also an emotional journey, through the emotions of the past and the present onesā€¦music can soothe our soul deeply and for me the joy and wonder of slow progress have been louder than that mean voice breaking through in the middle of my practice sessions, freezing me and telling me I would failā€¦acknowledge your emotions and let them breath, both the negative andā€¦ the positive ones connected with your grandmother inspirationā€¦I find Music to be also a journey of personal growth. This is a very supportive Community and I hope to see you around soon :blush:

2 Likes

Hello Harry and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

Sorry to read about your story. Iā€™m sure music will help move forward.

2 Likes

Dear all,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I really appreciate it.

Iā€™m still getting to grips with the basics but Iā€™m very happy with the Justin Guitar app and community.

In terms of my goals I want to be able to play songs from my favorite artists. My music preferences are extremely diverse, a good example of which is my Spotify playlists which features Red Hot Chili Peppers, John Denver, Metallica, The Dubliners and Roxy Music. I really go for individual songs that speak to me rather than have a more focused preference.

I also like singing and am trying to retrain my voice. I aim to play guitar well enough to accompany my singing or vice versa.

2 Likes

Welcome, Harry! I think youā€™ll find this a very pleasant and supportive community.

Best Wishes,
Todd

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Marcola. I hope she is :slight_smile:

1 Like

Youā€™ve hit the nail on the head right there.
Technique rhythm, chords, practice ā€¦ all to help towards making music that makes you feel good.
Learn songs, learn songs, learn songs.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi welcome to the community, there is a lot of great support here I really is a great place to bešŸ‘

1 Like

Hi Harry, that was a very sad story indeed but you are in a happy place with us here now and I am sure you will learn heaps with an eager attitude to play and learn. All the best and see you around!

1 Like

Welcome Harry.

I also started the JG course at 40 years old, so understand where you are coming from in worrying about the missed opportunity. While itā€™s true you wonā€™t be able to learn as fast now as you could have back then, that just means you need to put in the time. :slight_smile:

I also believe that there are upsides to learning as a mature adult. Particularly on the mental aspect. At least for me, I find that I can take a long view, commit to a practice routine, and persist through difficult work far better than I could as a young person. Teenage me had no patience for anything that didnā€™t come easily and feel natural. So if I had learned guitar back then, I would have learned faster ā€¦ but the fact is, that never would happened, because I wouldnā€™t have actually stuck with it.

Whatever the case, youā€™re here now! Enjoy it. Iā€™m sure you will get a lot out of your guitar learning.

3 Likes

Hi Harry, welcome. Good the seed of music planted in your childhood is now germinating. I wouldnā€™t spend too much time thinking about missed opportunities (I do it sometimes anyway), but thinking how to get the most of your current opportunities to achieve your dream of playing guitar. Justin Guitar lessons can for sure help with that. Have fun learning to play guitar. Playing an instrument takes time and effort, but it is very rewarding when the music starts to flow from it.

Harry, Welcome to the community. In addition to being fun, playing guitar and singing songs can be a great emotional release. Check out some of the song lessons that are not familiar to you and you might find words that speak you and provide joy.

Wanted to join the pile-on and wish you a very warm welcome Harry! This community is spectacular.

Howā€™s the learning journey going for you?

Hi there Harry, no need whatsoever to apologise albeit itā€™s saddening to read of your experiences and the impact they have had on you. Taking this step to decide and commit to learning is huge and warrants enormous respect. You are certainly not too late to begin the your awesome guitar journey, every step is a positive. Your potential will always be your potential, regardless of how and when you start and it sounds like youā€™ve got a steely determination behind you so Iā€™ve no doubt youā€™ll do great.

It obviously does not need saying but just have fun, the guitar is an awesome instrument allowing you to express yourself in whatever way you wish. Thereā€™ll be some downs, which is where this community is at itā€™s most amazing, but thereā€™ll also be more ups than you can believe and youā€™ll get every ounce of encouragement you need here.

I wish you the absolute best, and above all else enjoy yourself, you deserve it!
Mark.