Hello from Judi in Oregon!

Hi everyone! I’ve been lurking in the community for a while…I’ve been a beginner guitar player since I was 14, which is to say I learned some chord shapes and that’s about it. Fast forward, and I’ve recently retired and now have both time and mental bandwidth to learn. I’ve made it to Beginner Grade 2, Module 10. That F chord has me in the market for my first electric. I love this community, and sing the praises of Justin’s lessons and the community whenever people ask me “what are you doing with your time?”. Looking forward to more of both!

12 Likes

Hi Judi! Nice to have you here!

2 Likes

Hey Judi, great stuff. I retired several years ago and am also thrilled with the extra time it gives to to spend on the guitar. Keep having fun!

3 Likes

Welcome, Judi, never too old and no time like the present. Keep on keeping on and look forward to hearing more from you.

1 Like

Hello Judi and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome Judi!

2 Likes

Hello Judi,
Nice retirement plan :sunglasses:…i wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

3 Likes

Good to meet you Judi, I couldn’t think of a better retirement plan! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome Judi,

A similar story to a lot of us. Learn some guitar but didn’t push it.
My opinion this is a great way and place to learn.

Enjoy the addiction :wink:

2 Likes

Hello Judi and welcome. Good to se another restarter !
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

A belated welcome, Judi! Hope you’ve been coming along with your guitar studies! :grinning:

2 Likes

Judi, Judi, Judi. Hello and welcome. How are things in Oregon?

I’m kind of like U in that I originally learned the basics 50 yrs ago then gave it up for a number of years then I retired and found I had too much time on my hands, so I have picked it up again.

I have a no-name 12-string acoustic and a Fender Squire Stratocaster.
Unless you get a hollow-body, solid body electrics (like the Strat) tend to be significantly heavier than acoustics. Also, I have found that it’s no easier to play some cords (like the F) on an electric than it is on an acoustic.

The big plus of an electric is there is so much more U can do with it and so many more sounds U can get out of it.

Good luck,
Jeff

4 Likes

Welcome to the community Judi. Good to have you here. Oregon, that’s where my favourite film was filmed.

3 Likes

Thanks Jeff! I was surprised how heavy most solid-bodies are. Looking at a semi-hollow as you suggest.

2 Likes

Thanks, James! But don’t leave me hanging - what is your favorite film?

2 Likes

My childhood favourite of Stand By Me

2 Likes

If you haven’t had your acoustic professionally setup that may be something worth considering as will make a big difference to the playability.

2 Likes

I was hoping you’d say that. Love that movie. :slight_smile: And I live just about 25 miles from Brownsville, where it was filmed.

Regarding the acoustic: Thanks for the suggestion. I did take it in…they adjusted the truss rod. Now it sounds a bit - the best word I can think of is “sloppy” - but it’s possible the problem is my skill level. That said, I can play F cleanly on about half of my changes! If I get brave, I’ll try doing some basic adjustmenting myself. It’s probably good to understand my musical machine! And if I don’t get brave, I’ll take it in again (probably to a different shop) in a couple months.

2 Likes

Hello Judi, officially welcome as you come out from the shadows and take your place among the many fine folk in the community.
Keep up the good work progressing through the modules.
F can be a difficult chord for all so you are certainly not alone in that.
A guitar with a good setup, correctly filed nut slots and lighter gauge strings can definitely help - or a new electric (semi hollow or hollow if weight is a consideration).
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

Hi Judi,

Just curious whether you’ve found your electric guitar yet?
If not, I can heartily recommend D’Angelico guitars… I have 3 now… a semi-hollow, a hollow body & a dreadnaught acoustic. All 3 play like a dream and sound really good. D’Angelico has 3 different price ranges & I have 1 from each. Took a chance & purchased them all online, no problems or complaints!
Good luck with your retirement project!!! I’m still working at 62 but not that far away!!!

Tod