Hello from Kev in Michigan

Kev here. I’m 50 now and have been consistently practicing for two years.
The struggles are real but I really enjoy trying!
I recently decided that my practice was not constructive and not structured enough. So I’ve completed Justin’s grade 1 and feel I’m on a good learning path now.
I also like to torture myself with high expectations and so I’ve been working on “Hotel California” and “Here comes the Sun” for most of the past two years.
Thanks for having me!

9 Likes

Hi Kevin ,
Welcome and a lot of fun here,… :sunglasses:
You’ve found the holy grail for learning guitar so that won’t be the problem if it doesn’t get much better and better soon… :smile:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hello Kevin and Welcome.
Well if you wanted structure you’ve found it in spades.
Plenty of help on hand if you ever need help. Just call out.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hello Kevin and welcome to the Community! I’m also a Dreamer Songs’ lover and I think there’s a big value in just trying and question “how do I get there?!”…and then I realised that we need to have our fundamentals really consolidated to get anywhere! But Dreamer songs are so inspiring to get us practice consistently, aren’t they? :blush::innocent::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Kev

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. I started playing over 10 years ago at the age of 53 and sticking with it has been on of the best things I’ve ever done. Love the dreamer songs. I also like the “low hanging fruit” songs that pad out my repertoire. Look forward to hearing more from you.

2 Likes

Welcome Kev, so nice to have you here :hugs:.
I think, dreamer songs were the main motivation for starting this journey for many members here. At least, this is true for me (I love the Dire Straits :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:).
I wish you lots of fun with your six-string-friend and a wonderful guitar journey :smiley:.

2 Likes

Hi Kevin and welcome! Glad to have you here. I too am a member of the “always working on way too hard songs” club :laughing:

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to our community Kevin. :slight_smile:

We all have those dreamer songs. Maybe take some time to learn some easier ones that you can belt out to your friends and family.

2 Likes

Hi and Welcome Kevin.

R.

2 Likes

Hello Kev and welcome to the community.
Congratulations on two years and kudos for taking with the structured approach.
We had a couple of topics relevant to your two year struggle with ‘songs beond my skill level’ recently that are worth reading (in the Just chatting section).
I tend to encourage people to nibble away at dreamer songs only a little at a time but making sure that a dreamer can become a realistic repertoire song in a reasonable time period.
Two years to build great foundational skills and a healthy robust repertoire is great. Two years making little progress on songs that far above your current level is something I would caution against.
Become a better player and the more challenging songs will come to you.
:slight_smile:

1 Like