Hello from Lance

Hi all,
I started my guitar journey over 30 years ago when I met my wife who had a classical guitar. I started playing around with it but never really got far with it. I’d make some progress and then leave it and then go back to it. eventually I bought an electro-acoustic guitar and an electric guitar and I have been a member of Justinguitar for quite a few years now. Same story of stop start progress but for the last few years, since about a year or two before the first lockdown in 2020 I have been trying hard to play consistently. I even performed a couple of times at open mike nights at the local pub. I have been trying to consolidate my playing by doing grades 1 and 2 and am now looking to move onto grade 3. When I can workout how to do a decent recording I will post something on the site but I struggle to get anything to sound loud enough for anyone to hear. I would really like to be able to play and sing reasonably well and to know a few songs from memory. I’d also like to find someone else who I can play with.

9 Likes

Hey Lance, welcome to the community. Nice to meet you. Sounds like you are progressing well. When I was first learning, someone suggested I learn a few songs from memory. I always thought that was too hard. When I actually tried it, I found it easier than I expected. You just gotta cut that umbilical chord (where is that on the fretboard? haha). Perhaps choose your easiest song as the first one to remember. Look forward to hearing more from you.

2 Likes

Sounds like a familiar tale Lance but you found Justin, so there is a very good chance you’ll stay the course this time around. It worked for me.

Welcome.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hello Lance and welcome.
Kudos to you for sticking with it and putting yourself out there to play at some open mic evenrs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Lance

1 Like

Hi Lance,
Welcome and i wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome to the community Lance!

Plenty of motivation to be found around here, good luck :shamrock:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, Lance :hugs:.

That’s exactly my goal, too. We’ll get there for sure :smiley:.

2 Likes

welcome Lance, your story sounds familiar. If you can play open mics you are well on your way.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! Very familiar story. More than a few of us have found our way to progressing and keep learning while having fun with Mr. Justins’ learning ways!!! Has helped me incredibly!
Rock on brother! :metal:

2 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome all.

2 Likes

Hello Lance and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

Most modern smart phones are good enough for doing a recording with. Will be great to hear you play.

1 Like

Yes, I tried last night and the recording wasn’t bad. I just need to relearn a song now and post it.

1 Like

A very warm welcome Lance. Feedbacks on avoyp here are always very respectful and kind and the more experts offer a lot of good advice on aspects that one needs to work more on, as well as praise for the aspects that one is already nailing. It’s a great opportunity for all of us :blush:

2 Likes

I have done a video but I’m not sure how to post it. Do I have to put it on youtube first or what? Do I just do a reply in the safe space? Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Lance, sorry, this reply comes after you have shared a video. Kudos for jumping in the deep end.

1 Like

That’s ok. i probably posted in the wrong place. But the main thing is I got there in the end :slight_smile:

1 Like