Hello from Melissa in Chicago, Illinois, USA

Hello All!

My name is Melissa. I am starting my guitar journey 1) because I’ve always loved the guitar, but never had the time to learn. 2) starting now as a way to connect with my teen. I have 2 musically talented teens. 1 has been trained on the violin & self taught on the piano. She has just started her vocal journey with a voice coach & recently bought herself a small starter recording suite. My boy has been trained on the violin & alto saxophone. He recently bought himself 2 different electric guitars & has been teaching himself. After recently spending 2 hours at the guitar store with him, I walked out with an acoustic guitar myself. We practice and learn together. Recently he & a few friends decided they wanted to form a garage band. While driving with the boys, they told me if I get good enough, I can make appearances with their garage band. Kinda a great feeling when your teens want you to part of the things they love!

13 Likes

Hi Melissa and Welcome :grinning:

Your kids sound amazing and it must be fun for you to be learning alongside your son. I have a pre-teen daughter (12) and she usually just retreats to her room when I play. I play electric, and she will frequently tell me to “turn it down” :laughing:

Justin’s beginner course is a great place to start :+1: :guitar:

4 Likes

That’s really awesome. Great to meet you. look forward to hearing more.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Melissa. Sounds like you have a really musical family.

:rofl:

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Melissa,
Welcome ,and how wonderful, a house full of musical instruments,…and people who play them of course :smile:, I wish you a long life with playing guitar and wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hello Melissa and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

That is a great story and that coming from a teen as well, you must feel super proud.

1 Like

Hello Melissa, a very warm welcome to JustinGuitar and the wonderful community we have here.
What a wonderful and heartwarming story and reason to buy and start learning to play. Having talent grow and blossom in your children must be truly satisfying, and I really hope you can stand loud and proud alongside them very soon and make a racket, a wall of noise to shake the foundations and rock the neighbourhood!

:guitar: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Melissa,

Hey, joining your son’s garage band sounds a great idea. I hope it works out!

Nick

1 Like

Hello and welcome! I wish I was invited to play in a garageband. I would start hammering away on power chords right now. Rock, rock, rock and roll high school… Good times!!

1 Like

Hi Melissa and welcome to the community. I also have a musically talented daughter, together we inspire and encourage each other to reach for our musical dreams. You’re in for such good times ahead!

1 Like

Welcome, Melissa- you’ve found the perfect learning environment. What a great story! You must be very proud. Your children seem self-motivated and are very lucky to have an engaged and supportive family environment - a two-fer! :+1: :v:

1 Like

Welcome Melissa. You have the makings of a great family band.

1 Like

Welcome Melissa. Wow, what a fantastic story! That great that your kids are so musically inclined and can help you out. And yes, I imagine that must have been a great feeling!

If I might ask, how did you come across Justin? Glad to have you here!

1 Like

Hi Melissa. Thats a great story. Hope you get the chance to play in that band. I’m 60yrs old from New York just learning to play. Was inspired by my son who played the baritone sax in High School. Would be cool to play with him dome day.

2 Likes