Hello from Melissa in Chicago, Illinois, USA

Hello All!

My name is Melissa. I am starting my guitar journey 1) because I’ve always loved the guitar, but never had the time to learn. 2) starting now as a way to connect with my teen. I have 2 musically talented teens. 1 has been trained on the violin & self taught on the piano. She has just started her vocal journey with a voice coach & recently bought herself a small starter recording suite. My boy has been trained on the violin & alto saxophone. He recently bought himself 2 different electric guitars & has been teaching himself. After recently spending 2 hours at the guitar store with him, I walked out with an acoustic guitar myself. We practice and learn together. Recently he & a few friends decided they wanted to form a garage band. While driving with the boys, they told me if I get good enough, I can make appearances with their garage band. Kinda a great feeling when your teens want you to part of the things they love!

11 Likes

Hi Melissa and Welcome :grinning:

Your kids sound amazing and it must be fun for you to be learning alongside your son. I have a pre-teen daughter (12) and she usually just retreats to her room when I play. I play electric, and she will frequently tell me to “turn it down” :laughing:

Justin’s beginner course is a great place to start :+1: :guitar:

4 Likes

That’s really awesome. Great to meet you. look forward to hearing more.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Melissa. Sounds like you have a really musical family.

:rofl:

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Melissa,
Welcome ,and how wonderful, a house full of musical instruments,…and people who play them of course :smile:, I wish you a long life with playing guitar and wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hello Melissa and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

That is a great story and that coming from a teen as well, you must feel super proud.

1 Like

Hello Melissa, a very warm welcome to JustinGuitar and the wonderful community we have here.
What a wonderful and heartwarming story and reason to buy and start learning to play. Having talent grow and blossom in your children must be truly satisfying, and I really hope you can stand loud and proud alongside them very soon and make a racket, a wall of noise to shake the foundations and rock the neighbourhood!

:guitar: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Melissa,

Hey, joining your son’s garage band sounds a great idea. I hope it works out!

Nick

1 Like

Hello and welcome! I wish I was invited to play in a garageband. I would start hammering away on power chords right now. Rock, rock, rock and roll high school… Good times!!

1 Like

Hi Melissa and welcome to the community. I also have a musically talented daughter, together we inspire and encourage each other to reach for our musical dreams. You’re in for such good times ahead!

1 Like

Welcome, Melissa- you’ve found the perfect learning environment. What a great story! You must be very proud. Your children seem self-motivated and are very lucky to have an engaged and supportive family environment - a two-fer! :+1: :v:

1 Like

Welcome Melissa. You have the makings of a great family band.

1 Like

Welcome Melissa. Wow, what a fantastic story! That great that your kids are so musically inclined and can help you out. And yes, I imagine that must have been a great feeling!

If I might ask, how did you come across Justin? Glad to have you here!

1 Like