Hello from Michael, 74-year-old starting guitar from square one

Topic says it all. Decided to give this a go. I’m Michael and my wife and I seem to be making a number of changes at this stage in life. After living in Hawaii for almost 45 years, my wife lived there for 50 years, we moved to Southern Californian to be closer to the kids and grandkids.

Always wanted to learn an instrument but never had the time before now. Glad that I happened upon Justin’s website.

Don’t want to waste anyone’s time but thought I would pop in and introduce myself.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community, Michael, a supportive, friendly group who share your aspiration to learn to play our chosen instrument, the guitar. Certainly not a waste of time, good to meet you and look forward to getting to know you better as you progress.

1 Like

Welcome Michael

Now that is one thing you won’t be doing here Michael. If you are following Justin’s path and ever get stuck, just shout for help. We are all travelling the same road and can share knowledge and experience. You’re never too old to rock n roll, so just get stuck in and have some fun.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Welcome to the community Michael. Nice to meet you on your guitar journey. For me, learning to play songs all the way through made a big difference. I found a simple 3 chord song, used Justin’s recommendations on fingering the A chord so I had an anchor finger to move between the A E and D chords, and then practices the one minute chord changes till I could do 60 of them a minute. The first couple of months took dedication and then I could play the song all the way through and my passion for the guitar took off. Everyone’s journey is different.

2 Likes

I am more horrible than I imagined. But I am having fun with it. I know I harbor no unreal expectations and am in no rush. I find it amusing that when just trying to move my arm and tap my foot and count out loud, one-two-three-four, etc it’s like when we were in grade school daring one another to try to rub your stomach and pat your head at the same time. And doing finger independence exercises is also amazing. Never knew how little control I had over my own fingers. Things one always takes for granted. So I thank you guys for your welcome here.

This is pretty high on my list of priorities, practicing steady and trying to put quality focus on each session so I am not going to get discouraged easily.

I like Justin, not just because he is so clear in his instructions but also because he speaks what each of us has in our own minds. Things like, “This is impossible. I am never going to get this!” And things like that.

Also am grateful for a community forum.

2 Likes

Welcome Michael! I just started my journey with Justin on here myself, and I am 87! Never too late, right? Everyone on here has been very welcoming to me. You are in a GOOD Place! Bob

3 Likes

Square one is the right place to start. I’m happy for you, you have your first song ahead of you, heck a lot of firsts ahead of you. Enjoy the journey!

1 Like

Hi Michael, welcome and enjoy the journey, have fun. The important is what playing the :guitar: brings to your life today.

1 Like

Welcome Michael!
You have found the right teacher in Justin. I have been following his course for around 4 years now and find myself at 69 going back and repeating many of his videos. He is also adding new beginner instruction recently that I find very helpful. Enjoy the journey as it is a passion i am so glad to have found, even if later than most!

1 Like

Hello Michael and welcome. :slight_smile:

Enjoy your guitar journey, it will be a wonderful thing.

1 Like

Hello Michael and welcome to the community :slight_smile:

1 Like