Hello from Michigan

My name is David, I’m a retired Physical Therapist Assistant and I’m now 66 years old. I first started playing guitar when I was 15. My uncle loaned me his Stella acoustic that had a 1/2 inch gap between the strings and the 12th fret. I had no idea that wasn’t right so I took that and my Mel Bay learn to play guitar book and learned all of the open chords. I joined the Navy after High School and continued to play guitar while serving. I did buy a better guitar :smiley: After I got out of the Navy life went on and the guitar was set aside for a few years. As I was approaching 40 I picked it up and took some lessons and played for about 5 more years before setting it back down. Now I’m 66 and with much more time on my hands, so I’ve decided to learn how to play again and to really learn about all of the theory and techniques that I never learned in my earlier years.

10 Likes

Hello David & Welcome!!!
Maybe I should say welcome “back”!
I hope you find that this is truly a Community with a lot of friendly, enthusiastic & encouraging folks who love guitars, gear & who help each other out!
Good luck with rekindling your passion for making music!

Tod

1 Like

PS… We love to see pics of guitars here!!! :sunglasses:

Tod

Welcome David.
Ya found a great place to come and learn and get much feedback on what your up to, if you want it.

My condolences on your stella.
Your 2 years older than me. But we sure did start in the same place. My first guitar was a stella too. Same action as your too. :frowning: What a horrible guitar to learn on. Of course we didn’t know that at the time.
I was just happy to start getting into guitar. Likely would have went better if I’d have had a real instrument though. Hate is not in my vocabulary if I can help it. But man. I hated that guitar. POS.

Anyways, go get’em man. Hope ya’ve got a newer hip guitar that is a real instrument to play now a days. I’ve for sure moved on from mine.

Side note. I even know what happened to my stella.
I had it in the basement for years. It finally developed a crack in the body. I happily took that guitar and put it where it belonged.
In my trash can, never to be seen again. Good riddance to it. Only thing it did for me was let me know that I did want to play. But that’s it, other than make my fingers bleed.

Have fun hear David.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum David

1 Like

Welcome David, from a fellow Michigander. Glad you joined us.

1 Like

Welcome from just south of the border into Ohio :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Dave, welcome to the forum. Retirement is nice, gives more guitar playing time. Look forward to hearing more from you.

1 Like

:wave:

Welcome to the group.

R

1 Like

Hi David ,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome aboard, David! :smiley:

Sounds as you’re not starting from zero, so you will probably cover some ground quickly.
Wish you loads of fun on your guitar journey. :slight_smile:

Cheers - Lisa

2 Likes

Go Bucks! :wink: Couldn’t resist. Welcome!

1 Like

Picking the guitar up and putting it down seems to be a common theme among people here. I think you are in good company! Glad to see you are retired and will be adding something that you enjoy.

1 Like

Hi David, welcome to the community forum. Mel Bay was hard to learn from before video lessons and YouTube and gasp, even TAB. I remember trying to learn from the first Mel Bay book (I’m 68) and thinking where do you put your fingers for those chords. Glad you found good place to learn guitar in your retirement.

1 Like

Music lessons have come a long way from 1970!

2 Likes

Hi Lisa, yes, I’ll be into level 2 by this weekend and probably into level 3 before I stop zooming ahead. I am going through each lesson (except the chord lessons, I remember those) just to make sure I’m not missing some bit of information that I never learned.

1 Like

That’s a very good approach, did it quite similar when I was restarting myself, too, to be on the safe side. :slight_smile: It’s so easy to miss some simple thing that is surely needed later on in the journey.