Hello from New York City

Hi all, I am Dennis from NYC. I’m 67 and began my guitar journey about four years ago, after I retired from full-time work and had the time to do it. So, somewhat late to get going but I am extremely glad that I am started. The guitar has become a really important part of my life. I grew up with Dylan, the Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Neil Young and others of that wonderful era. Later I began to listen to a lot of jazz, and also African music - I lived in Africa for 2 1/2 years when I was younger.

I really like playing songs from the folk greats as well as fingerstyle tunes and, more recently, the blues. Justin’s lessons have helped me a lot, and with playing on my own and taking classes I have progressed to an intermediate level. One goal for now is to play more with other people, so if anyone in New York is interested in getting together please let me know!

Happy playing everyone!

11 Likes

Hi Dennis - good to see you here. Sounds to me like you grew up listening to the best music (but some of the younger folk here might disagree!). All that jazz and African music hopefully means you’ve got some cool rhythms under your fingers :slight_smile:
Cheers
Paul.

Welcome to the forum Dennis

Thanks Paul and Rick!

Hey Dennis welcome to the community. I can certainly related to what you said about the guitar. It’s a wonderful instrument full of such joy and auditory pleasure. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi dennis

Welcome, greeting from Dublin Ireland. Guitar is a perfect retirement hobby. Fingerstyle has i think the great advantage of feeling really chuffed with yourself when a goal is reached.

Welcome Dennis. Definitely a lot of great music in that era, it’s what I grew up listening to as well.

Hello Dennis and welcome to the community.

Hi Dennis,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

Hello and welcome to our community Dennis. :slight_smile:

I hope you find a jam buddy as it is a lot of fun.

Dennis, welcome to the community. Don’t worry about starting out later in life. There are a lot of us that are in the same situation, retired and finally able to follow our dream of playing guitar by following Justin’s course. I’m 68 and still working toward calling myself an intermediate guitarist. May favorites are fingerstyle and blues, so I look forward to hearing what you are playing.

Hi Dennis, welcome. Starting at 10 or after retirement you have the same basic guitar skills to learn. At the end is the enjoyment playing guitar brings to you what matters. Have fun.

1 Like

Welcome in Dennis! Don’t worry about being “late” to start, you got here when you got here. My late grandfather didn’t start playing guitar until his 80s! He played every day until he passed away at 91.

Hope to hear some of your music soon :smiley: