Hello from Norm in Dallas, Texas

Hello everyone!

Here for my 3rd (or 4th) shot at learning guitar in this life and I’m committed to accomplishing it this time around. First time was when I was about 13 or 14 in the early 90s, then again a couple of years later. Went to a few lessons, but refused to put the time in outside of that. Never learned a song other than the Hey Joe riff and maybe one open chord progression before giving up and blowing it off.

Fast forward to 2018 and I changed careers, which gave me the opportunity to work from home before it became popular. Had free time by myself during the day, so bought a new Les Paul and thought I’d learn. I think I picked it up 5 times, didn’t even spend an hour with it. Ended up being a piece of art on my office wall background.

Fast forward once again to early December 2023. Not sure what exactly happened, but on 12/12/2023 I decided “this time I’m really going to do it”, restrung my guitar and haven’t looked back. I’ve missed practicing 2 days since (due to travel).

At this point I have put in a little over 30 hours of practice (I only count actual practice time, not messing around, but playing), which I journal each day, along with what I’m practicing. Helps me keep focused and motivated. I’m sure this is more time than all of the previous attempts combined.

I finished grade 1 on January 4th and began grade 2 the next day. Worked on the next 2 modules, but decided to go back and clean up what I’ve already learned to date…been doing that for the last week or so and now feeling better about it. Back on grade #2 stuff again.

This time is different, I’m motivated, committed, and enjoying the journey instead of just wanting to be at the destination. It is working and I look forward to being able to practice every day.

I can’t think Justin and this community enough!

-Norm

10 Likes

Hello Norm,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses: and you know what they say, 4 or 5 times is a charm …or something like that :upside_down_face:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Welcome aboard, Norm! :smiley:

You do sound serious this time around, I can feel you motivaion swap over! :slight_smile:

Wish you all the best and loads of fun on your guitar journey!

Cheers - Lisa

1 Like

Welcome Norm. Sounds like you are committed this time, keep it up.

1 Like

Hey Norm, welcome to the community. I had a false start before I got serious. What I try to tell newcomers is the rewards of sticking with it are huge and it doesn’t take all that long before you get traction and it starts being fun. Hang in there. Look forward to hearing more from you.

1 Like

Same scenario here. Gave it a try 2 or 3 times in the last 20 years. But this time I’m actually practicing daily and I see the results.
I bought Justin’s beginner course book and the song book and using it along with his videos.
And also this time I told myself to be distracted by too many YouTube videos :).

Good luck on your journey and also from Dallas.
T

1 Like

Hi Norm, welcome to the community. Keep up your daily practice, it will become a routine, part of every day. And most important: have fun!

1 Like

Hi Norm! Welcome here. I think almost everyone who has played guitar has suffered with bouts of low motivation/frustration, etc. It’s normal. . .they key, for me at least, is to find a way to change things up that still moves you forward in your guitar journey somehow. . .

Tired of doing one minute changes on chords?? Maybe check out some basic ear training for guitar. . . hearing different musical intervals. . .or beginning to pick out basic nursery rhyme melodies on the guitar. . .etc, etc,

. . . those are just a random set of possible examples of course, but the one thing that is so great about Justin’s web page is that it is a really comprehensive guide to guitar playing AND musicianship at the same time.

Here in the community, you’ll find a great group of really supportive people who have no issues with answering questions, guiding you in one direction or another and are generally just really helpful. Pretty sure you’ve already worked that out!!

Anyway, you’ve come to a good place to be as a beginning guitar player. Good luck with your daily practice and enjoy the ride!!

Jeremy

1 Like

Welcome Norm. :wave:

Glad you found Justin, stick with it and you’ll go as far as you want to go and maybe further !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Norm, welcome to the community forum. Sounds like you have a real plan this time and motivation to stick with it. I’ve had many false starts in the past and learned a few things along the way, but Justin’s site and app give me a path and plan for knowing that I am moving forward. You can also have al lot of fun learning songs in the Song lesson videos, with songs for each grade. Have fun on your guitar journey.

Hi Norm, welcome. Good you gave yourself a new chance with the guitar. I think you just got into a “to play guitar I need to learn how to play guitar” and “to learn how to play guitar I need to practice how to play guitar’ mindset that can help you to go farther than in your previous attempts. The advantage with Justin Guitar method is that from the beginning you’ll be able to play some riffs and at least a basic version of songs. Have fun.

Thanks to all of you for the comments, suggestions, and encouragement!

Yes, this time is different, I went in with the mindset that I can do this if I put the time in and realized the fun is in the journey and not just the destination. Between that and keeping myself accountable with a daily practice journal, I’m finding much success. I’m happy with my progress and putting in the time to do it right. While I’m currently stuck on the F chord, I’m working my way through it.

I look forward to learning and interacting with all of you here in the community as we continue down the path.

Best,
Norm

2 Likes