Hello from on old hand - Peter

Hello. I’ve been on Justin Guitar for a number of years so I thought it about time I introduced myself. Having reached retirement age I now have some time to really craft away and polish up those skills by maybe relearning right from the beginning. I am a great fan of Rory Gallagher and yes I do play a Strat.

edit: (Actually my name’s Peter. Rory is the name of my guitar! I’ve changed it in my profile now.)

13 Likes

Welcome to the forum Mr. Strat

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, look forward to hearing more from you

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve just found the “introduce yourself” category so I guess I should have found that first and posted there. Anyway.

I guess I came to JustinGuitar probably to learn a song but came across the depth of lessons too. I did some of the Music Theory a number of years back. More recently I have dipped in and out of things and completed some advanced and beginner levels too. And I’ve learnt some things that I wished I’d known years ago

2 Likes

Great :exclamation:Welcome :exclamation:

1 Like

:guitar: welcome

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Rory

1 Like

Hello Rory,
Welcome and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hello and welcome to our community Rory. :slight_smile:

A lovely way to spend your retirement.

1 Like

Actually my name’s Peter. Rory is the name of my guitar! I’ve changed it in my profile now.

1 Like

So what do I mean by craft away at my skills. Well as an example I am currently learning Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac Green Manalishi. There are a couple of passages that are just chromatic runs. The song is in EM which has the relative major of G. Now I know what the notes are and where they are on the neck, but can I play the run correctly; no. I know every note on the neck and can play every note in the key of C without thinking about it. But when I think about it, I’ve never really concentrated on playing scales.

So I was looking at Justin’s Major Scale Maestro course. He demonstrates in the key of G. But what was important for me is he said if you make a mistake in playing a scale you should not correct it but go back to the root note and start again. This way your brain learns better. And guess what, I have been doing the former for years and always corrected errors as I went along. So I have been learning some bad habits.

There are many gems of advice like this in Justin’s abundant guitar resource and his teaching skills are amazing. So in case I’ve missed anything else and since the courses have been updated in part since I first started, I’m going to go right back to the beginning and start over again. I wonder how long it will take me but progress will be reported here.

2 Likes

Welcome, and nice to meet you!

1 Like

So I’m working through the beginner modules and practicing on some chord changes that I seem to have problems with notably changes between G, D, and C with the open chords.

To add focus in the meantime I am also working on the following songs:

Shadowplay - Rory Gallagher
The Hunter - Free
Need Your Love So Bad - Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac
The Green Manalishi - ditto

You will note that these feature the guitarists Paul Koffoff, Rory Gallagher and Peter Green all from the late 60’s era.

2 Likes

The G I’m struggling with is the 4 finger G as in the intro to Ziggy Stardust:

https://youtu.be/wG34AqOahpc

I’ve been playing G differently for years and it’s hard to unlearn this. Incidentally, if you watch Mick Ronson play this he plays the D as an A shape barre chord on the fifth fret.

https://youtu.be/gYL-WRqBehs?t=170

Whichever way the change to D is quick and tricky. Using the 4 finger G makes the change from the Csus9 smoother so I must persevere. This is what I mean by crafting.

1 Like

Hello Peter and welcome to the Community! I think it’s a great idea to re-learn from the beginning and I’m trying to do that myself! :blush:

1 Like

Hi Silvia

Thanks. As stated my main aim in this is to help memory in older age and hopefully fight off things like dementia. I’m finding that as I pick up the guitar, things are flooding back and it’s all still there in the memory just buried. Hopefully the speed will come back too. Peter

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, Peter. Love your username. I could have called myself keeftele or maybe neilmartin would have been more relevant, not to mention peterlp, or garygreenie would have been cool. Enough of my silliness …

No worries, I’ve tied that up for you.

I also note you have been sharing more here. Once you’ve introduced yourself then for ongoing sharing as you progress and want to share more of your journey, the place for that is in your own Learning Log. Have a look at examples here in #community-hub:learning-logs

You can create one and I can move a few things over if you like. Just @mention me using my user name if you’d like that.

1 Like

Hi David. Thanks for the heads up and once I’m up to speed I’ll be tempted to share some of my own attempts.

1 Like

Peter, congratulation on retirement and the chance to develop your guitar craft to your liking. I did that too when I retired. I had completed the classic beginners course in th past and started on the intermediate course and realized I had some gaps in my knowledge and technique. I started at the beginning and focused on all of Justin’s tips for good technique and started recording and posting my playing of Grade 1 and Grade 2 songs. That provided good feedback. I am continuing to play the grade 1 and 2 songs as warmups as I work on Grade 3 songs. Enjoy playing guitar and the chance to reach your goals.

2 Likes

Hi Peter - Rory and welcome to the community. I know you’ve already got in to the action in AVOYP and sharing pics of your guitar. Coolio.
:slight_smile: