Hello from Ontario, Canada

Hello Donald and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

You’ll find we are a lot less antsy here.

1 Like

Hi Donald,

Welcome to the community great back story sounds like you have 50% nailed already sure your have the next 50% down pat.
Good luck
A

1 Like

Hello Donald, glad to have an enigma like me on board! We’re all very different so I guess you wouldn’t mind if I say that fingerpicking is easier than strumming for me and that Rhythm Guitar is not easier than Classical Guitar for me…love them both anyway :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::blush: I highly reccomend Justin’s Strumming SOS Course, I’ve started last month to work on Grade 2 and see all the goodness of it. Besides re-working your strumming fundamentals from zero will really help you!
See you around :blush:

1 Like

Welcome aboard, Donald! :slight_smile:

Man, some peeps should not work with other humans if they lose it that easy. :roll_eyes:
Glad it didn’t discourage you in total and you kept at guitar and bring both worlds together now. :slight_smile:

Wish you lots of fun on your journey!

Cheers - Lisa

1 Like

Welcome Donald :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hear you. For me the issue is finding the time. It’s hard enough these days to just click the record button and lay down some tracks. I may have to start recording practice sessions. :slight_smile:

Edit: Haha! I read Ontario California! Time for me to log off of the Interwebs. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

lol… I feel better already…however, after I post my homework it could be different lol

1 Like

I actually wanted to go back and change my intro post. As it comes across a bit crass. Sounding like I know what I’m doing. Like I said I fake it well … but I’m dug in for the long haul till I make that bridge between the two.

Oh yes my friend. Already got the strumming course on CD along with his Blues CD. Basically between the Strumming, online and live classes I hope to NOT be an enigma anymore lol…Have fun finger picking and Classical, good for you. Hard stuff I must say. I’m still working on Greensleeves. but other finger picking songs come at a much easier effort. Enigma all the way lol.

1 Like

Lets just say I won’t forget him…

1 Like

lol…buddy I sooooooooo wish I was still in Las Vegas!!! We would go over to California all the time. Disney Land and Laguna Beach were always my favorite.

Hi Donald,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hi Donald, welcome to the community forum. I don’t see your situation as too strange, but then I have played the guitar on and off for almost 40 years and after a few years trying to learn TAB fingerpicking and blues lead found strumming awkward. I started at Grade 1 like you and the basics really helped. I look forward to hearing some of your lead guitar.

1 Like

That is the old course, which is very valuable too, but the new one, which you find on the website, has a wider approach to strumming, IMHO.

Took me years but I forgot…wish it’ll happen to you too…

1 Like

Thank you so much…I guess my biggest thing for a long time and still is now is keeping time but eh, that’s why we practice. I started playing at 16…only metal, yet another big mistake lol then on and off over the years. Now, it’s time to bridge my basic with my intermediate.

1 Like

I will take a look at that course. As I’ve just been working with the CD thank you

1 Like

I have a question for whoever has time to answer it for me.

Using the “A” minor pentatonic scale for reference and hand placement.

Should my hand always be in those hand positions based on the fret and where I’m playing? For example Pattern #1 at the 5th fret using first finger. Should I always be in that position when playing any notes or chord in that position?

Tried to upload a video but it didn’t work

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to explain this to me

Secondly, is a chord family just different ways to play the the same chord? For example in C: Cad9, C, C7,Cmaj7, Csus4, C/G and C sus2

Hi Donald, welcome. Good you’ve found ways to bring together your more advanced finger picking with your less advanced strumming. I also try to combine both. I would say my strumming is better than my finger picking, but also I’ve also leaned to practice it more to sing along.

About your question about minor pentatonic fingering, this conversation about minor pentatonic patterns could be interesting for you and of course there’s a link to the actual Justin Guitar lesson about it.

Minor Pentatonic: The 5 Patterns - Discussion

My understanding is that if you move the pattern from fret you’re changing of key, but if you use the connecting patterns on each side you’re extending the scale but not changing the key. My understanding also is that each pattern can be played using the four fretting fingers and that the position of the fretting fingers on the fretboard changes only when moving from pattern to pattern. At the end the right fingering can be what better suits the song, but you can look at how Justin approaches this on his videos.

I cannot help you with the question about the chords. Well beyond my current music theory level.

You strumming could benefit from using this tool if you’re not already doing so.

Have fun.

1 Like

Thank you for your helpful tips. Yes, I use all of Justin’s tools lol

Have a nice day,

Don

1 Like