Hello from Rainrunner in Quebec City

Rainrunner here.
I just thought I should say hello to everyone.
Here’s a summary of my guitar journey so far.
During my pre-retirement years, I probably spent about one hundred hours trying to learn guitar. That’s 100 hours scattered over a period of about 50 years. Needless to say, I did not get very far.
Four months ago, at the age of 65, I retired from my full time job and I started to learn/practice/play guitar seriously. I am trying to prove to myself that it is possible for a 65 years old guy to learn guitar and achieve a respectable intermediate level.
So far it’s been a lot of fun. I feel that I have 50 years of bottled up motivation. I want to play guitar all the time. Life gets in the way: doing the dishes, shovelling the driveway, eating, sleeping,… There is also fingertip pain. Those 3 small metal string are tough on my fingertips. Sometimes I have to switch to my nylon string classical guitar to give my fingers a break.
I am nearing the end of Beginner Level 2. I think I will spend the next few months consolidating Levels 1 and 2 before I dive into Level 3. I am also doing the Music Theory course.
Cheers!
Rainrunner
P.S. Yes, I am also a runner.

10 Likes

PPS - Who runs in the rain, (I guess ?).

Hi RR and welcome.

Boy that all sounds familiar. Did all that but quit at 55 and restarted all over and started to learn properly, finding JG in 2013. Follow the path and you will do very well. Never too old to rock n roll. Age is just a number, its where your head is at that matters.

Thanks for the intro. Any questions just holler.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Welcome, Claude. It’s never too late, you’re in the right place, and it sounds like you have the right mindset. Kinda wish I was retired (more time to play guitar!), but I still have a few years to go (I’ll be 51 next month). Let us know if you have any questions, and feel free to share recordings of your playing. You’ll get a lot of help, support, and encouragement from this community.

Hi RainRunner and welcome to the Community.

Your story is all too familiar, there are a lot of people (myself included) that have the same backstory on our relationship with the guitar. The great thing about being retired while learning the guitar is that it’s not too hard to find the time to spend learning.

There are a lot of us Canucks here and I’m sure that you’ll pick us all out soon enough eh. Love visiting your city, you live in what I think is probably the most historically interesting city in the country. And if you’re ever travelling down along the Northumberland in the summer, let me know and maybe we can setup a jam session.

Cheers,
Glen

Welcome @RainRunner It’s pretty impressive that you’re consolidating grades one and two after four short months.

Yes, well, I think I was too much in a hurry, playing 2 hours a day and always eager to move on to the next lesson. Now I’ll be happy to “consolidate” Levels 1 an 2 for however long it takes, which could be anywhere between one month and 5 months. The important thing is that I am having fun and I am making progress. I never thought that retirement would be so much fun.

1 Like

Welcome Rainrunner!

Good to see you here. A fair few of us more mature ( in age only) folk here with scattered guitar pasts.
Looks like you’re well on your way now though. That consolidation mindset is going to hold you in good stead too.

Looking forward to seeing some tunes.

Cheers, Shane.

Welcome and glad to have you here, hope you get along and enjoy your journey! :slight_smile:

Welcome to the community and good luck with your guitar journey.
With the strucured approach from Justin and the support from the community. Not forgetting your willingness to succeed, you have all the rifht ingredients to achieve your goals.

Greetings, RainRunner. I too, am just now consilidating Beg 1 & 2 though it took me about 18 months to get this far. My consolidation consists of learning 10 songs that I can play from memory. All of the songs come from the Beginner 1 & 2 lessons. I am taking the basic Beg 1 songs and adding the things I have learned in Beg 2. Having a blast!
What is your consolidation routine?

Hi RR and welcome. I started guitar at 64. It’s never too late to learn a new skill and chase your dream!

You’ll get plenty of encouragement and support here. Just ask.

1 Like

Welcome Claude :smiley:

With 50 years of bottled up motivation you are going to fizzzzzzzzz, take off and reach the stars. :rocket: :dizzy:

2 Likes

Delighted to meet you here, Claude.

I could not have said it better!

Look forward to hearing you playing some songs when you’re ready to share.